Newbie Looking for '80s Diesel wagon 5 speed and need ADVICE/HELP! (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi there I'm new to the cruiser world and I'd like to get better aquainted with them but I know nothing of their foibles.
Because of price I'd like to purchase a mid 80's wagon diesel 5 speed. When can I go to find out what the problems and fixes are for the early to mid 80's cruisers. I want to learn everything about them so I can be an educated buyer and not get stung having to invest a swack of cash after I buy it. One may have a turbo on it so that is an additional set of questions I imagine!

Thanks in advance!!
Ps: I'm not very mechanically inclined so your assistance is muchly appreciated!

If you want a cruiser w/ a 5 speed and a diesel you're going to have to import, or buy one that has those already swapped in, or buy a cruiser and swap in the engine and tranny. 80's cruisers in the US came with 6 cylinder carbeurated gas engines and 4 speed manuals (Unless it's 88 or 89, in which case it would have a 4 spd automatic and fuel injection).
The best way to learn is to read the FAQ and read this tech forum for a while...

Mike

P.S. Use the search function as well :)

No matter what, a swack of cash will follow.
Toad

Thanks folks for the heads up. I live in Canada so diesel 3B BJ60's are plentiful.

I'm not sure where you're from and I know you said you have budget concerns, but if you are from Canada, if you can get hold of an HDJ81 with the 4.2 turbodiesel, you will never look back. They are incredible vehicles, and really have it all. Corrosion protection, economy, looks, quiet on the highway, and will go just about anywhere. But they are not cheap particularly with diff locks.

I agree that the HDJ-81s are pretty sweet, so you may want to consider that option (Though they may be more than you can afford)

If you are looking for a BJ60 or HJ60 (Sold from 1980-1987) then I would say the primary thing you should look out for is rust. Mechanically those trucks are quite relaible though, some have gone over a 1,000,000kms (though this is rare). I would look for one with a 5-Spd instead of the 4-Spd, I can't remember what year that happened though.

wayne in calgary has been a very good resource for info and a very good landcruiser mechanic for me. he does sell some landcuisers but if he doesnt have what your looking for hell probally have some recomendations. most of the stock he brings in is low kms or very good condition. give him an email:
Wayne
http://www.luxuryimports.ca JDM imports modified main page
http://www.crushersrule.com restorations and trip reports
speed kills-live forever- drive a Toyota
Calgary Alberta Canada

Hi again folks thanks again for all the input and advice. My brother n law has a '83 BJ60 3b with an aftermarket turbo installed by a respected race engine builder in Pt Moody BC. It's got 300km on it, 5 speed and had the rear shock mounts re welded. Back tail gate is rusted and then the usual rest around the front and rear wheel wells.

I'm having him get the compression, injectors etc checked and tested and the running line etc checked out as well so we will see where it goes from there. The tires are new, shocks, etc. The previous owner spent ~$3000 before selling it.

My BnL will "give" it to me for $4000cnd. I'll drive it as is and then have the rust repaired and repainted this winter. I'm planning a 11 day trip to the Yukon this summer pulling a travell trailer so I imagine I will be liking the turbo.

How much fuel economy will I lose with the turbo over the stock 3b...? (ie: what is the hwy fuel milage in cnd gallons/mile for the stock 3b over the turbo 3b 5 speed...?).

Thanks in advance once again!

From what I've seen fuel economy is only slightly less and in some cases the same as a non turboed 3B

Really.....

Wow that's great news!!

Any hints as to what the fuel milage may be for HWY driving and a 5 speed...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom