Newb to FJ40 / intro and questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've been a lurker for a while but happy to introduce our FJ40. I've got a 98 LX470 with 330k miles that's been my daily driver since about 2002. I had been looking for an FJ40 for a while now and finally came across one that I think it a good starting point. It's a 77 with 82k miles. The good is that the body and frame are mostly rust free (just a little surface rust here and there at paint chips). The bad is that the floor pans have some rust and have been patched in the driver and passenger foot wells. Not terrible for a 40 year old car. Two owners ago (I believe) a Chevy 350 was swapped into it with factory 4 speed and t case. The roll bar was removed to fit the longer jump seats. I plan on putting the roll bar back in and using the SOR adapters to make the long jump seats work.

The first project on hand is putting in power steering. I've searched and read through countless threads. I'm thinking I'll use the saginaw pump with an FJ60 box. I couldn't see where anybody confirmed that the FJ60 box is a direct bolt in. Any help there would be great. It has 31" tires and I plan on leaving it like that. It's going to be an around town / beach cruiser in St. Pete, FL so I won't need anything over the top for oversized tires, etc...

Also, when I first test drove it, the car had side pipes and no mufflers. I had the exhaust redone and now I can hear a high pitched whine that was masked by the loud exhaust. The noise increases with RPM's and doesn't change if clutch is pressed or not. I've already pulled the belt to confirm it's not the alternator. Any ideas / any common problem that may be causing this? It sounds like it may be coming from trans / clutch area.

Looking forward to hearing what you guys think. Open to any other ideas / input you guys might have. Here are a couple of pics, including the day I picked it up.

unnamed.jpg

LXFJ.jpg

The fj60 isn't a direct swap and does require some fabrication. I think that IPOR sells a kit, but it still requires a fair amount of fab work. The old steering mount must be removed, new mount made/bought and linkage made. I'm not positive about the minitruck p/s, but I thought it was more of a bolt in affair. Both have their advantages.

Are any of the steering boxes I see recommended direct bolt on?

Nice cruiser congrats!

I did the PS conversion on my 40 and I used an 82-85 mini truck PS box with a Bill Dory pedestal which is a direct bolt on with no mods. I got the parts from Georg @ Valley Hybrids @orangefj45 send him a PM and he'll set you up with all the parts you need. Check my sig link to my PS install.

Last edited:
I'm no expert- I'm halfway thru an fj80(essentially fj60) install. I think the only bolt on is to find a fj40 p/s box. They are said to be pricey tho( I never tried). The minitruck is only a pedestal adapter. The rest require fab work.
I like the 60 box, because it simplified the steering parts. 40 parts will be pricey, but retain value better. Look up the faq, there are a couple different types of conversions.
If your looking for simplicity, leave it alone. I drove mine stock as my only car for years. It sucks in parking lots, but the more you drive it the easier it gets.

Thanks guys. I pm'd George at Valley Hybrids.

Strongly recommend George at Valley Hybrid too. Great guy and super prompt with shipping and any questions you may have.
He helped me with two projects and really glad I talked with him.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom