New to me BJ74 with some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

That is a 16x6 with the "correct" 3.5 inch backspace for a 7x variant. The 80 Series wheel is 16x8 with 4.5 inches of backspace. My setup nets me 3 inches of backspace which works well for me.

Does the FRP top have a smooth finish or an orange peel type of finish? This one seems to have a rough finish.

Thanks John. I thought as much. The previous owner said they repainted the body and not the FRP. So mine is then similar to yours.

Original-finish white FRP tops have a rougher texture than the grey ones and have a satin finish. The grey ones have more of a gloss. Painting them smooths out the finish unless the "proper" procedure is used. I had my white top spot repaired by a guy who was old enough to have worked on Chevy Blazer tops. He did an outstanding job duplicating the texture and gloss.

Yes.

I picked up the door panels today. Similar to the ones in the picture. No speaker holes, brand new. Now I must figure out if I can somehow make them work from the 24v system in the BJ74. Maybe run them off the converter? Any ideas?

IMG_2583.JPG

Do you mean run the electric switches on 24V?
I don't think the switches will care or be bothered by 24V.

I did some investigation into using resistors to run a 12V system in my 24V BJ74.
I have not done real experiments yet but if the right amount of resistance is put in line with a 12V item, it will work with 24V.

Yes I mean to run the electric windows from the 24 volt. Maybe the windows will just go up and down at double the normal speed. :)

Ahhh, your window motors are 12V.
You can do an internet search on Dropping Resistors.
Another way would be to use 24V relays and a 24-12V converter.

Lets hope thats not the case. I got the BJ74 today. Now the big clean up starts. Not much brakes. Will look at the load sensor valve tomorrow. Easy start and then the rest of the braking system.

To get brakes I trusted I had to upgrade to 80 series front brakes and the 80 series brake booster.

The bigger 2 diaphragm brake booster and the larger calipers made a huge difference.
Alberto and I think Hulsty turned me onto the idea.
The brake lines right out of the MC have to be replaced because the bends are different.

So thus will be 80 series calipers. Discs and brake booster?

Master cylinder too.

No change to rear drums and shoes except buying new. Same as USA 60 series bits.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom