New to me BJ74 with some questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in the process of buying this 1987 BJ74. With 13B-T engine. So I have a few questions please.

Are these mags standard on these models or aftermarket?
How does the H4 switch on the dash work?
Would I be able to get the roof liner for the FRP top?
Can you guys please post pictures of the standard steering wheel as this one is not standard anymore.
Is the front doors the same as on the BJ70?

Here is a picture of the 74. I am sure I will have many more questions as I get around to the rebuild.

$_20.jpg

Last edited:
I am in the process of buying this 1987 BJ74. With 13B-T engine. So I have a few questions please.

Are these mags standard on these models or aftermarket?
How does the H4 switch on the dash work?
Would I be able to get the roof liner for the FRP top?
Can you guys please post pictures of the standard steering wheel as this one is not standard anymore.

Here is a picture of the 74. I am sure I will have many more questions as I get around to the rebuild.

View attachment 1278923

Steel wheels are standard but the thickness of them will determine if they are stock. I don't know more than that
The H4 switch is only for High level 4 wheel drive and can be pushed when you lock the front hubs. Once you put the inside shifter into L4 the button does nothing but I can't remeber if it actually shuts off by itself or not.
Roof liners are almost completly custom and you should be able to get one almost anywhere they install roof liners.
Go look out at the 70 series registry for the steering wheel and rims for that matter.

Let me know if you don't like the extended fenders as I am in the market to purchase some.

Thanks for the feedback Bob. I will go and have a look at the 70 registry page. Exciting things to come. Beno will definately get an email from me.

The wheels are aftermarket.

The doors are different on vehicles with folding windshields. The top front corner of the upper frame comes to a point. Fixed windshield vehicles have a rounded top front corner.

Folding windshield frame
IMGP2955.JPG

Fixed windshield
IMGP2957.JPG

Stock steering wheel
IMGP2956.JPG

Thank you Dan. Do you have any pictures of what the original wheels would look like? Is the original wheel size 15"?

Original wheels would be 15 inch. Either alloy or steel. I'll walk the floor and take some photos.

image.jpg
Original wheels would be 15 inch. Either alloy or steel. I'll walk the floor and take some photos.
When Dan says "I'll walk the floor" it doesn't mean "walk" in the traditional sense. :rimshot:

So in other words he gets around fast!! ;)

:flipoff2:

In my FJ62 and my LJ78 the H4 button engages high range 4wd only when the hubs are locked. The floor shifter engages low range, and if the H4 button is engaged when the transfer case is shifted into L4, it will still be in H4 when you shift out of low range.

Here are some factory examples:

IMGP2959.JPG
IMGP2958.JPG
IMGP2960.JPG
IMGP2961.JPG

Last edited:
Thanks Cruiserdan. I am considering the 16" steel rims that was standard on the 80 series.

Thanks Cruiserdan. I am considering the 16" steel rims that was standard on the 80 series.

Replacing the alloy rims shown in the bottom photo with 16" Toyota steel rims was one of the best upgrades I did to my BJ74. The other was replacing the stock muffler with a straight-thru glasspack.

Thanks for the feedback John. I think I will do the 16"steel rims then. As far as I know they fit without any issues.

I'm quite fond of those and am running them on mine. You will need spacers. I have 1.5 inch Spydertrax spacers on mine.
IMGP2924.JPG

Thanks Dan. Wow your 74 looks great!!

It has been a labor of love......I've heard said that a boat is a hole in the water you pour money into...There is a terrestrial version of that...:lol:

The 'BOAT' scenario has already started. ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom