New member first post (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,
Just want to post a quick note to introduce myself. Will be brief, hope it works as a first post. I worked/travelled extensively in quite remote parts of the world for the last 20 years and the 80's and 100's always caught my attention... In 2004 I landed in Libya and after the first long trip in the desert onboard a 105 I was in love! How can a somewhat mass produced vehicle last so long driven in nasty washboards and serious soft sand in the Sahara by people driving those as if they owed them money? That's the incarnation of the word quality right there!

In 2008 I was semi-settled in Canada and decided to get myself a 3rd Gen 4Runner for me and my best half to go camping. I really hated the looks of the 4th Gen. Found one in Chicago with 28K miles on Ebay....virtually new. Got it and have been my DD and travel/camping/light offroad vehicle until last year when family got bigger and decided to upgrade.

The 5th Gen 4Runner looks better than the 4th Gen but overall but still a very basic truck without any tech and too expensive...but not too many choices around for a reliable body-on-frame vehicle left....so I had decided on the 4Runner.

Went to a lot to see a 7-seater 2012 4Runner with low miles. Got there and had just been sold... buyer traded in a 2005 LX with 65K miles....checked the vehicle, drove it and bought it....basically paid asking price as I was hooked after 15 mins inspecting it.

In short: 2005 LX, one owner US vehicle imported into Canada in 2011 with 45K miles with all US service records from dealer and one full service record in 2014 by Canadian Lexus dealer including timing belt.

I was surprised to see very little rust underneath seen that it lived its first 4 years of life in NY and then in Vancouver/Calgary. Only light surface rust on the frame welds and on the AHC actuators/accumulator...but basically 95% plus of the undercarriage still has a nice black paint on it...

One problem I have now: Cannot seem to be able to part ways with my old 4R...feel like I will be splitting the family apart...the LX being the big sister to the 4R. On top of that it has only 90K miles, 2" OME lift, bumper, winch, supercharger and a few other mods I did over the years....basically the way I like it....tough decision to make...Below a pic of the two girls, not sure I am uploading them right:
azzaLX 4Runner.JPG

azzaLX LX.JPG

That's as short as I could make an introduction. Now would like to make a small first contribution. My LX came with the known velcro mod on the center console lid. Decided to fix it instead of getting a new lock. I used two part back epoxy and molded it into place, giving it the rough shape of the broken "lip". After it cured I pulled it out as it does not adhere to the plastic and glued it right back with superglue. Then just sanded it to the right shape and it was done. Did not even looked online, I am sure one can find this part cheap but it was fun doing doing it. Below is the end result:
azzaLX velcro mod removal.JPG

That's what I have for today. Thanks for the great forum! There is so much information and treads are so much fun to read....quite addictive! Apologies in advance for the rookie mistakes I am sure I have made on my first post.

Happy 100'ing to you all!

Rgds,

Welcome!

I have had no luck sourcing the part you repaired outside of option to purchase entire assembly. Good job!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom