New 70' FJ40, needs brake booster and master cylinder, HELP (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Yes, I just bought a "new to me" 70' FJ40. The seller told me it needed a new brake booster. Although this is my second FJ40, I'm new to this. I found out that the 70' did not have an original brake booster. I checked the Aisin part number with fj40parts and they could not find the part number anywhere in their computer. Who knows, the brake booster could be off a Chevy or Prius?!?! Bottom line, no core refund for my unknown brake booster! The master cylinder is also leaking fluid. I will be changing out the front axle to a 78' disc brake front axle. It seems like I need a new brake booster and master cylinder. I'm confused on the best option and year model parts to get. Could someone with experience point me in the right direction for the two parts and perhaps a seller to buy from? O'Riely's quoted me around $350 for the brake booster. I've also had quotes for close to $500. I plan on running the disc brakes on the front and drum in the rear but would like to have the master cylinder option to run disc in the rear in the future. Thanks in advance.

pics of FJ40
IMG_1130.jpg

IMG_1129-1.jpg

IMG_1128.jpg

IMG_1131.jpg

Nice looking rig! A picture of the booster and master would have been nice. I think you can use replacements from 60's series, and mini trucks too for your replacement, and can get good ones from the pick and pull places for about 25 bucks. Same with the masters, especially since you are going with the disc fronts. You will have to grind down the push linkage to accomodate the newer booster, and it's a bit wier than the original, but I think it's achieved with your model.

Search "70 booster", and see what your options are...

I would get the booster from jimhendrixx and get a master from a 76+ cruiser,
then when you upgrade to rear disc, slap a 80 series master in, with a adjustable valve! you will have to adjust the booster to master rod to ensure the front brakes work proper!:) master should cost no more than 50$, use the one you pulled as a core, no one seems to care when I do it;)

Justin

I went to the local pull-a-part yard and found a booster from a Toyota pickup. Bolt pattern is identical. I had to trim the shaft where it attaches to the pedal. What I've found is that most every Toyota booster has the same bolt pattern so if you can find one from a 60, 80 or pickup they should interchange.

$15 complete....

I experienced the same with my 7/70. Had a leaky booster and found that the one I needed was only made for a short time. But a shop here in Denver had a rebuilt booster for $150. Works fine I had to adjust the push rod after I found out it was activating my brakes. I have also converted to disc up front, no issues at all. Hopefully you won't have to do the wheel cylinders. That was a screwy year also. They only made that size wheel cylinder that year.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom