Need help with U-bolt identification. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1980 FJ40, and ordered some shims and u-bolts from cruiser brothers. 3 of them look just right, but of course the one that rides on the diff is different than the others.

My issue is that the diff u-bolt that was sent is squared off, not rounded like the one that is currently on there. A local guy said that it might be for a 60 series, but I could use it and be okay. I really have reservations putting it on because it isn't form-fitting like the rounded u-bolt that was on there, and I really feel like it SHOULD be, due to it being in an area that's high vibration and such.

Am I worrying for nothing or should I press cruiser brother's for a swap?

396643216_667511718853307_1701149565203336555_n.jpg

I would use the proper rounded one. You can go to a local spring shop and get one or go back to the vendor.

That don't look right. It *might* work, but probably not worth learning why it won't the hard way.

The square u-bolt is correct for 8/80 (I think) build and after. Do you know what your build month is? Looks like you need the rounded one. I'd give a call to @orangefj45 to get the right one rather than using the one you have.

If you're replacing them, you'll also need different spring pins.

Note that I have a 5/80 build, but I took the square u-bolt, so there seems to be some blurred lines.

Contacted Cruiser Brothers and they sent me a rounded one immediately with zero fuss, really great customer support. Truck is happy with it's new wedges, drives like a dream instead of jumping all over the place.

Thanks for the information on this!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom