1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

name that sound

Discussion in '60-Series Wagons' started by Man Jerk, Jan 30, 2003.

1. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

I'm getting some gawd awful clunking sound, from what I believe is the rear passenger side of my FJ60. Anytime I go over a bump, big or small, I hear a quite audible clunk. Even when I drive down a bad road (ie most MN roads) . I made a pretty good visual inspection tonight, and everthing seems to be in order. I did have to do this outside as my garage is currently disposed of, and it was 9:30 pm. I'm hoping someone can point me to possible causes.

2. Eternal

Eternal

The bushings on my leaf springs had worn out on one side and whenever I hit a bump or turned hard that way I got a clunk. It was definately a clunk. That's my only clunkin experience.

3. Halo3

Halo3

I have to agree with Eternal's input. My FJ40 was doing the same thing, and while installing my lift & new poly bushings, I found that a couple of the old stock rubber bushings had worn completely through. That wear wasn't very apparent from the visual inspections I'd made, but was blatantly obvious once I had them pulled out.

The other "clunk" I've experienced that would be similar to what you're explaining was with shocks. Make sure that they are securely fastened (both top & bottom), and that the bushings on either end are still in place.

4. Niner

Niner

I had a similiar experiance, except mine ended up being a axle bearing so check those also.

5. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

All very good points. Hopefully I can get to the bottom of this

6. theo

theo

Fuel tank coming loose? Lug nuts tight? Exhaust hanger worn out?

I ran over a cat once while backing out of the driveway. It was a kitten though so it was more like a bump than a clunk.

7. Man Jerk

Man Jerk

Fuel tank was my first thought. I just had it down to replace some fuel lines (lots of fun removing/installing tank alone). I thought I may have goofed it up. Nope, its up ther pretty solid.

8. sandcruiser

sandcruiser

Media:
    check the pin in the center of both rear spring packs. If it is worn/loose that can let them make a pretty strong 'clunk'

9. cruiser_guy

cruiser_guy

Make sure the rear cross member that carries the shocks is not rusted through on that side. That'll make a good clunk.

10. Matador98

Matador98

Media:
    I had a clunk like that the other day. It had been driving me nuts for a few weeks, and I couldn't find out what it was. Guess what it was, the center cap. Make sure yours are nice and tight, or they will clank back and forth. I thought it was something more serious, but now, sound is gone.

11. dd113

dd113

The lid to the dutch oven should be secured better

12. dogboy2

dogboy2

all of the above are good points to consider....

here's one more: how are your shocks? check the attachment points as well as the range of travel. if they are shot, you could be bottoming out the shock and thus, hearing a clunk.

my 2ยข,
    -dogboy- '87 FJ60

13. Jman

Jman

Damn, this thread was started like a year ago--don't you guys think he would have figured it out by now?

14. devo

devo

Now you got this clunk?
    What ever happened with your fuel pump saga?
    devo