My Story (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I recently purchased a 2000 LC from a private owner. I owned a 05 STi, but came to realize that I needed something bigger for the family vehicle. My wife does not drive a stick and I have a bike for my toy. the STi was/is a great car and I was very sad to get rid of it. If I had a place to keep it I would have- and more money. The 950SE takes care of any speed needs I have

IMG_0175.JPG

I knew going in that there were a couple things wrong with the LC. Both exhaust manifolds were cracked and the driver side cv boot was blown. Luckily I have a friend who was a Toyota mech in a previous life and helped me. We trailered the LC home since the cv was blown.
2010-09-19_19-08-07_769.jpg

He was able to pull both manifolds off without too much drama. Unbolting the motor mounts and disconnecting the sterring column helped a great deal. He was able to weld the cracks and reinstall them.
2010-09-23_14-53-37_783.jpg

2010-09-25_10-52-54_643.jpg

2010-09-25_10-53-21_574.jpg

2010-09-25_10-53-42_612.jpg

I know, I could have replaced them with the new manifolds or new headers. He wanted to try to weld and he was doing the work for free. We ended up replacing both front half shafts and installing Bilstiens. The stock shocks were still in good shape after 130k miles, and probably did not need to be replaced. The LC does ride pretty good, but I do not have anything to compare it to. The emergency brake was seized very bad at the brake. Previous owner must have never used it. It took a lot of heat to get it freed, but works fine now.

The only problem I still have that is one of the UV joints was bad on the rear shaft and I replaced it with an aftermarket brand and still have a small vibration. I will be ordering the factory UV joint and replacing it soon.

Everything on the truck works great. It feels very solid. I did pull the running boards off, and install the factory front mudflaps. I do need to replace the driver side window motor. It makes a lot more noise then the other windows and the auto up does not work right. It goes up then comes back down 1/2 way.

IMG_8588.JPG

IMG_8587.JPG

IMG_8579.JPG

IMG_8585.JPG

This is a great site and I hope to be here for a while.

Nice write-up! How are the welded manifolds holding up? Welcome aboard!

Nice work..and welcome!

Welcome to MUD!

I have put about a 1k on since the weld and they seem to be doing fine. I will put about 10k a year on it and hope to get a couple years out of welds.

I did lube the track, but the motor makes a completely different sound then the other windows, much louder. That is the only thing that would make me think that the motor is going bad. I am going to try the reset, thanks!

Congrats and Welcome. Wealth of information on this site! Of course, having a prior Toyota Tech as a friend is just as good...if not better!

Welcome and nice rig!

Looking at your pics, it's amazing how well these vehicles hold up over the years.

Welcome, very nice rig. Looks clean! I will be pulling my running boards off this weekend! :D

Edit: VERY slick KTM, by the way. Love those bikes!

Last edited:
I took it camping last weekend to Greenridge State Forrest after a good storm. I recently bought a set of RUD 4x4 tire chains. They worked great! Had a tough turn on a hill I had to make and it probably would not have made it with out the chains. The LC was very impressive with out the chains, but with them, it was unstoppable.

2011-01-28_13-36-27_619.jpg

2011-01-28_15-17-11_462.jpg

Welcome to the clan!
Why do you have chains? Do you not have rear dif lock? And are your tires just street mounts?
My wife's LC does the same window thing. Goes up all the way and comes down half. I've learned to live with it until I got my own LC. Now it bugs me when I drive her car.

Dude. I feel your pain for selling the STI. As a fellow Suby owner, I never want to part with mine. Welcome to the TLC addiction. Check out cruisemoab.com and come out west for some wheeling in Utah and Colorado. Oh...bring the KTM too. The KLR can keep up. I swear. :flipoff2:

Fellow ex-Subaru nut here too...

traded up to my LC as I was sick of using the wifes Minivan to haul all 4 kids...

I also have a KTM, but its a 2002 250SX. Must be the great taste in toys hey...

Nice ride

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom