Builds My HZJ77 Build (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Karter, I just changed the water pump and noticed a couple of interesting things. (Well at least they were interesting to me)
The pump that was removed had Toyota stamped on it so I assume it was original. It had plastic impellers while the new Toyota water pump had metal impellers. I'm not sure when the change in material occurred.

It would be fair to call it OEM but not necessarily "original" unless evidence indicated that it had never been removed.

It would be fair to call it OEM but not necessarily "original" unless evidence indicated that it had never been removed.
Dan, I'm attempting to tell an interesting story that shows my mechanical abilities. Please don't interfere with my story with facts and logic. :)

The one I changed out 90,000km ago was an OEM and it also had a plastic impeller on both. I may run a GMB (Japanese made) water pump next. John @raddcruisers hasn't done me wrong yet. I will add the kits he has provided me over the past few years have been top notch.

Dan, I'm attempting to tell an interesting story that shows my mechanical abilities. Please don't interfere with my story with facts and logic. :)

Yes Dear, Sorry dear. I don't know what came over me :doh: but I will mow the lawn right now and the trash will be curbside by 0-500......

Yes Dear, Sorry dear. I don't know what came over me :doh: but I will mow the lawn right now and the trash will be curbside by 0-500......
:lol:

Karter, I just changed the water pump and noticed a couple of interesting things. (Well at least they were interesting to me)
The pump that was removed had Toyota stamped on it so I assume it was original. It had plastic impellers while the new Toyota water pump had metal impellers. I'm not sure when the change in material occurred.
i just had the same thing! The new one is metal. Although i don't think it was OEM it was made in japan.

Hey Karter, where'd you get the powdercoating done? I'm going to attempt to build new bumpers and was wondering if there is someone local who does it.

Swapped Amsoil in everything (severe gear in the diffs, MTG in the trans/transfer) minus the engine because being an IDI diesel you cannot get extended intervals unless you run an oil by-pass filter. Cheaper for me to just run a high quality dino oil and change it every 5000kms. I strictly use Toyota filters.
I was looking into using a bypass filter but since discovered the stock Toyota filter (and Baldwin equivalent) has a bypass filter built into it. So I would want to still to an analysis but you should be able to push the 5000km interval.

I was looking into using a bypass filter but since discovered the stock Toyota filter (and Baldwin equivalent) has a bypass filter built into it. So I would want to still to an analysis but you should be able to push the 5000km interval.

I thought about adding one but I strictly run 5000km intervals. I switched the last few oil changes to Amsoil Marine 15W-40. Slightly better wear numbers but in the end at running 5000km intervals I would just recommend running rotella 15w-40. Change every 5000km with a good quality filter, keep it simple.

The old JZA70 1jZ-GTE Powered Toyota Supras had plastic impellers from 1990-93 when the JZA80 was introduced iirc. The plastic impellers had all kinds of issues just like the ceramic turbo wheels.

Are you talking turbos or water pumps? Zero problems with my water pump, I am coming up to the 200,000km service pretty quick here and I will change out the water pump just because I have everything off. I'll probably try a metal one this time from @Radd Cruisers

Never heard of that happening on a 1h* variant engine. I think with the millions upon millions of these engines in the world we would have at least heard of a melted impeller.

They never melted just freewheeled on the back quite often. When my shop did 1j swaps for customers it was a requirement for the swap or we wouldn't do it. Glad to hear it wasn't an issue on the 1H, and suppose I shouldn't have interjected
Never heard of that happening on a 1h* variant engine. I think with the millions upon millions of these engines in the world we would have at least heard of a melted impeller.

Thanks,
I plan my mods to my needs and as funds/time permits. I'll have youngins in a few years and it seems stupid to build a truck up and have to sell it prematurely. Lots more stuff planned. I really want to figure out the design for the top mount and custom plenum.

Just found your build thread this morning, after noticing you were thinking of selling it. Reading through and the above caught my eye...hope you find a way to keep the truck around.

At this point the plan is to put it up sometime this fall.
The pickup thing seems a bit more practical for my needs in the near future.
Rear facing car seat and car seats in general in the 77 being 6'7" just doesn't work.

Rear facing car seat and car seats in general in the 77 being 6'7" just doesn't work.

Rear facing sucks, no way around that, but I put the carseat behind the passenger seat in my 81, thus making legroom someone else's (hopefully with shorter legs) problem, lol. Rear facing is temporary, but it seems I'm stuck with carseats/booster seats in my life for the foreseeable future with the current laws in place.

The LJ has worked fine for me and my young family thus far (voice of experience here). But mind you I'm only 5'10". Has more back seat room than a lot of SUV's and Truck's I've been in. But the Prado seating is a little different I think with the split middle row and additional third row. I'm able to slide my middle row seats back (left right independently) and even recline them back. Maybe you could get a set of Prado seats to improve the situation? Would be sad to see you sell your Toy. No full size pick-up will take you where your cruiser does... And your cruiser is so well modified/setup.

I grew up in a Tercel 4wd wagon and a 2nd gen 4Runner as family vehicles when I was a kid. My step dad was the same height as you. It worked for us, and I can tell you that my LJ has a hell of a lot more room than those vehicles did!

Here's another option. Buy the Missus a nice new pick-up, and keep the cruiser as your back-up family rig? :D

I must admit I've also been attracted to crew cab full size diesel pickups too. Would be so nice to tow with virtually unlimited power. But every time I go explore the back country in my LJ, I am reminded why I like it so much and continue to stick with it.

Just my two cents. :cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom