My first '40 and the venture (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Electric Power Steering - I am so copying Nolans "Formula" Like my Christmas Story told. Nice interview of Nolan in this Months Toyota Trails magazine. He just posted instructions on the Whitney thread he has going on.

I got the kit from Valley Hybrid to use a mini-truck power steering box - but after thinking about it a lot more - I don't want to go that route.
Ah, and here I thought I was being smart. I’ve got the Saginaw from the PO. If it hadn’t already been hacked in there, I’m not sure I would’ve gone that route. I fixed it up though and appreciate it now.

If I had to guess, I’d probably go Mini Truck myself, but I really haven’t done any research beyond fixing what I had.

Kicking the can on PS/EPS, talked about it early on during the Course of Action analysis for 2.0. What was your screening criteria on the decision to go “electric” vice conventional power steering?

It was two factors... 1) Context... I'm engineer at a lab that develops new stuff so soldiers come home. There is an element of resilience incorporated in the stuff having understanding Risk and Consequences ....

risk*probability = consequence. (this taken from one of my briefs on what is consequence)
consequence 2.jpg

With the EPS - any failure and the system resorts to manual steering like it is now. Yes the probability is perhaps the same between hydraulic/electric pumps, but the risk is even lower as it reverts back to old system.

Factor 2, with the mini-truck conversion etc, you need to cut out the steering box bracket off the frame as the angles don't match up and after it steeping in the back of my mind while getting the engine right, decided I really don't want to hack my frame if I don't have too.

EPS route leaves me the option to revert back to original spec should I wish.

(Anyone want George's bracket kit, let me know. my loss your gain)

It was two factors... 1) Context... I'm engineer at a lab that develops new stuff so soldiers come home. There is an element of resilience incorporated in the stuff having understanding Risk and Consequences ....

risk*probability = consequence. (this taken from one of my briefs on what is consequence)
View attachment 3593103

With the EPS - any failure and the system resorts to manual steering like it is now. Yes the probability is perhaps the same between hydraulic/electric pumps, but the risk is even lower as it reverts back to old system.

Factor 2, with the mini-truck conversion etc, you need to cut out the steering box bracket off the frame as the angles don't match up and after it steeping in the back of my mind while getting the engine right, decided I really don't want to hack my frame if I don't have too.

I think the best possible “side effect” is the return to manual without degrading the steering capability.
That steering lets loose going over a parking barrier at the 1 hour and pedicure and BOTOX, I want Ms Revenge to strong arm Festus back to the Barbie Garage without breaking a nail…😎

View attachment 3593103

I don't think that the fellow under the tuck did a very good "risk/benefit analysis."
For those of us with older rigs with a one-piece steering shaft, EPS may not be the most practical solution. At least the equation becomes much different. Watching Otramm's mini truck power steering conversion has me thinking that is the route I would probably take but I would have to source a mini truck box. I'm also wondering about the difficulty in cutting the existing one piece column and adding a rag joint. I believe that JT Outfitters sells the coupler
here. All this is to say that I may be interested in your mini truck bracket. Since I have a 1F, I'm not sure what the option are for mounting a PS pump, I will have to look into that.

View attachment 3593103

You know I don't see anything wrong with that :rolleyes::oops:

View attachment 3593103

Makes sense.

But where’d you get that picture of me?

I would have to source a mini truck box.
I can dig and see where I found some. Was less convenient after Yota Yard closed in Colorado to locate, but they are out there.

But where’d you get that picture of me?
I'm like Santa Claus "...he knows if you been bad or good...."

Nicer today so went out to see what maybe I can do before next round of travel and I thought "Clean the fuse box"

The wires would not come off for the life of me - was getting concerned I would jack the tabs on the block. Decided to soak them in Deoxit and see if that breaks up overnight - whatever is keeping it bonded. Rust maybe... I don't know. Can liberate some PO wiring (yellow).

Going to do the cleaning per Coolerman's instructions.

Anyone know off hand why the fuse block connector for the red wire (3rd from right) is red - heat? (See last pict)

Now to liberate a beer.

IMG_5247.jpg

And
IMG_5262.jpg

last shot
IMG_5251.jpg

Nicer today so went out to see what maybe I can do before next round of travel and I thought "Clean the fuse box"

The wires would not come off for the life of me - was getting concerned I would jack the tabs on the block. Decided to soak them in Deoxit and see if that breaks up overnight - whatever is keeping it bonded. Rust maybe... I don't know. Can liberate some PO wiring (yellow).

Going to do the cleaning per Coolerman's instructions.

Anyone know off hand why the fuse block connector for the red wire (3rd from right) is red - heat? (See last pict)

Now to liberate a beer.

View attachment 3593627
And
View attachment 3593628
last shot
View attachment 3593629
Is that beer you’re opening named “Can O Worms Ale”?

Are you suggesting I tuck that back in like I do with my cray cray?

Actually it’s just called BEER - Better Expect Every Result - hard to stomach sometimes. Others... not so bad.
Just curious, does “cray cray” means crayon?

Only madmen and the English venture out in the noonday sun to taunt the Gremlin King.

1711707519700.jpeg

I also want to address the frame more this season - for the most part, it is really solid and the main reason why I bought this rig.

Up first is internal frame and what to do, let alone how. So a trip to Lowes yields....

Start position -
IMG_5283.jpg

Middle - with chains attached to end (different lengths on opposite sides)
IMG_5284.jpg

End -
IMG_5285.jpg

Video - learning the speed control

Plan is to beat any loose rust inside - clean thoroughly , then use that Eastwood Internal Frame coating stuff.

Interesting and cool idea.
Searching for a joke...

You know me too well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom