Builds My 1978 Nut and Bolt Frame Off Restoration (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MScruiser

obsessive-compulsive oppositional-defiant wise-ass
Threads
Since I was a kid, I had always been in love with the original Toyota Landcruiser body style; I always said I would get one when I was older. Several years ago, my dream came true; I found one out in Los Angeles, and flew out there with my very supportive wife to pick it up. We drove it across the United States; we stayed a day at the Grand Canyon, and visited several other national parks between the West Coast and Jackson, MS. I spent the next few years driving it (and loving every minute of it).

Eventually, it was time to start making a family (babies), and it was just too impractical to keep as my daily driver. As luck would have it, a surgeon in Oxford, MS saw it, and offered an large amount of cash for it. I couldn't refuse. I sold it.

A few months ago, a buddy approached me and said that he was considering selling his 40. I didn't think much of it, and had kinda forgotten about it. Lo and behold, he contacted me after a few weeks and told me that his 40 was going to have to go, and asked if Id be seriously interested in it. After some consideration, and talking to my wife (did I mention how loving and supportive she is?) I decided to go for it.

This particular truck has been on 5 continents: North America, Central America, South America (Ecuador and Chile), Eastern Europe (1984 Serajevo Winter Olympics), Scandinavia, Asia Minor (Istanbul), and Northern Africa (Alexandria & Cairo). It's been driven on a number of islands, including Japan (yes, it went back to Japan)and has spent a good deal of time on the Greek isles. It was even put on a ferry at the Port of New Orleans, and shipped to Jamaica. One of the POs was in the US Navy, and took it everywhere he went.

The truck has 176k on the clock. I am the 4th owner.

The truck was originally Dune Beige. From looking over the truck, there appears to have been a high quality repaint sometime in the past. After that second coat got old and weathered, the PO began spraying it with rustoleum camo tan. So for the most part, the exterior is rattle canned, and the interior appears to be original.

There is some rust, though much much less than expected. The rear quarters will need to be replaced, especially as the PO cut the fenders. The rear sill has some small cancer spots, as does the DS door sill. The front fenders will both need to be replaced (dented beyond repair) and the hood will also need to be replaced (banged up pretty bad!!!). The floor boards are in incredible shape, except for some cancer in the upper part of the DS floor board. Ive never seen a spot form that high before. Go figure.

There is overspray on everything. I have been spending the past few days cleaning it off of everything.

The truck seems to be mechanically sound so far. I did have to replace the fuel pressure regulator immediately, as it must have failed on Andy as he drove to my house to sell it.

I have been in the process of replacing all of the exterior body bolts with stainless steel. I am replacing many bolts with yellow zinc Grade 8.

I have also cleaned a lot of grease and rust off of the undercarriage and given it a quick coat of black engine enamel. I also painted the rear bumper, and fender flares.

Ive got a long list of parts I need to find, not to mention sorting out the electronics in the interior. It needs the parking brake rebuilt, and a knuckle rebuild.

My goals for the truck:
1. Get it mechanically perfect
2. Repair and replace broken electronics in interior
3. Replace rear quarter panels
4. Replace fenders
5. Replace hood

After that, I'll drive it. Thats what I bought it for.

Eventually, once we move and I get a bigger shop, Id like to do a frame off restoration. But that's for longer down the road.

IMG_5352_zpsdvapa2kn.jpg

Dash Pad and Vinyl Reconditioning

Before:
IMG_5358_zps9pplywz4.jpg

After:
IMG_5386_zpszbnpuip6.jpg

Painted the rear bumper:
IMG_5390_zpslflwnvoi.jpg

Cleaned overspray and rust from exhaust:
IMG_5391_zpsvsjvpleo.jpg

Cleaned up and reconditioned the wipers:
IMG_5389_zpskzdwu50k.jpg

Switches before reconditioning:
IMG_5360_zpskvztprep.jpg

Switches after reconditioning:
IMG_5387_zpsbxpflouq.jpg

Decided to paint the roll cage black, and was worried about what I'd find underneath the mounts. I was expecting cancer, but boy did I get a nice surprise when I looked underneath...

IMG_5393_zpscobseiwj.jpg

IMG_5392_zpslmjjd5vr.jpg

Not bad, huh?!

And then used a combination aircraft-remover/wire wheel to remove the rest of the paint.
IMG_5382_zpsmz33rgnz.jpg

Replacing various bolts with stainless
IMG_5403_zpsgepxm1ag.jpg

IMG_5404_zpsdafnampn.jpg

IMG_5405_zpssec5wysg.jpg

More stainless, and installed rubber hood bumpers:
IMG_5410_zpsma3ujmcv.jpg

Pulled the front steering stabilizer/strut and gave it a fresh coat of yellow paint:
IMG_5412_zpspwowx0le.jpg

Installed (notice how well that undercarriage looks with a fresh coat of black epoxy:
IMG_5413_zpshe6lyydj.jpg

I may pull the other 4 struts off tomorrow and give them a matching paint job.

Tan flares:
IMG_5414_zpscvfzs6pk.jpg

Black flares:
IMG_5416_zpsgyruswkn.jpg

(I hate fender flares, but figured black would look better until I get some new quarters installed.)

So decided to fix the driver's seat sliding mechanism today. First thing I did was remove the seat then spray the sliders with PB blaster. They were not moving a bit before. I worked them back and forth with a BFH, and eventually got them to slide freely. 40 years of grime, mud, and surface rust had welded them in place.

IMG_5430_zps2hqcy0rw.jpg

I then decided while I had the seat out, I'd remove the mounting bracket and repaint it.
IMG_5432_zpsbhvh1zk2.jpg

Got my first oh s*** moment when the bracket came out. I found a huge spider crack in the sheetmetal. Bummer!
IMG_5431_zpskebsfpzr.jpg

I started removing the old liner, saw that the crack was even bigger than I had first thought. I then put a floor jack under the crack to help close the gaps, and then started grinding it down to bare metal.
IMG_5433_zpswhldajkp.jpg

IMG_5435_zpsjkrwr7x6.jpg

I then put a few stitch welds in place. That's where I left off today.

Making progress. I know gas would make things easier but...it looks like i can get away with not using it just yet.
IMG_5444_zpslqugr7qk.jpg

IMG_5446_zps1vxqmwzl.jpg

Started looking at this "liner" and realized that it was worthless, and rotten. I decided to start chipping it away to make sure I didn't have anything nasty hiding underneath it.
IMG_5447_zpsbz0khxbc.jpg

So far so good
IMG_5448_zpsyb4vpvlq.jpg

Found some rust holes. Bummer.
IMG_5449_zpsf5q0acjv.jpg

And another crack near the door sill
IMG_5450_zpscthle06g.jpg

Pulled out the welder and got to work
IMG_5451_zpszj7kwdj3.jpg

Got some burn-through with this one. Im going to have to slowly weld this one to build up material. This is a learning process; granted the metal here was paper thin from rust.
IMG_5452_zpslzcgjp3b.jpg

New grade 8 hardware installed
IMG_5458_zpsqcprieyh.jpg

IMG_5459_zpsbhuic5rp.jpg

Pulled out the seat brackets for the driver's seat. Wire wheel, then black epoxy paint.
IMG_5461_zpswq6mgo0q.jpg

Then took apart the driver's seat hardware. Wire wheel, then black epoxy.
IMG_5462_zpsvmgzlaf6.jpg

IMG_5463_zpsbrz8dadl.jpg

Then reassembled with new stainless hardware
IMG_5464_zpsn7c4emw8.jpg

Turd Polishing:

image-jpeg.1246929

image-jpeg.1246930

image-jpeg.1246931

New emblems and bumperettes from CCOT. Also made a little bracket to hold the plate in place.

image-jpeg.1246932

image-jpeg.1248039

my-jpeg.1248040

image-jpeg.1248041

image-jpeg.1248042

So I bought a 40# sandblaster from HF last week....it was complete garbage.

So now, I am looking at something like this: Sand Blasters : Pressure Fed Abrasive Sand Blaster 99H

Now, the question is is do I even have the capacity in my compressor to run this thing. The short answer is Yes, as long as I can do short bursts. I think I will need to upgrade to a larger compressor if I want to go full force though. Right now, I can piggy-back my two compressors for the meantime.

Oh, and I just bought some 0.023 mig wire, nozzles, and a 20lb argon gas canister; yup, its time to step up my welding game, especially as I am looking at welding sheetmetal/bodywork.

Finally got all of the bedliner off. Unfortunately, it was covering up some nasty stuff, like a rotten sill and many many small rust holes.
IMG_5649_zpspc0dl4c7.jpg

IMG_5636_zpsdcmxwm1n.jpg

IMG_5637_zps7eydyudu.jpg

Holes are patched and ground smooth
IMG_5644_zps6tkvxw1u.jpg

IMG_5645_zpsvefqkrqt.jpg

Repairing rotten rear sill

IMG_5638_zpsaf7sm6vu.jpg

IMG_5640_zpsbonehcfy.jpg

IMG_5643_zpsrhz4pevc.jpg

IMG_5655_zpsctm5tpsi.jpg

IMG_5646_zpscnphncce.jpg

IMG_5656_zpsopn9fld8.jpg

IMG_5657_zps7bk3gpr1.jpg

IMG_5658_zpsix8lgkhw.jpg

Repairing rotten pillar

IMG_5652_zpsdjxfr5dr.jpg

IMG_5660_zpso6nkpf52.jpg

IMG_5661_zpsa4mwxynq.jpg

IMG_5662_zpsp3i5cw9b.jpg

IMG_5663_zpspymqwiai.jpg

IMG_5664_zps7ifl9hfo.jpg

image-jpeg.1253047

image-jpeg.1253048

image-jpeg.1253049

image-jpeg.1253050

Still have a few spots to clean up.

image-jpeg.1253212

Now comes a new idea. There's too much rot in the rear sill; the quarters are shot too. My OCD kicks in high gear, and I decide to do a frame off restoration instead of just a refresh.

LET THE GAMES BEGIN!

image-jpeg.1254238

Last edited:
image-jpeg.1254240

image-jpeg.1254241

image-jpeg.1254243

Still have some grinding/welding to do but this is where I left off

image-jpeg.1254244

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom