MUD RoIP (Radio over Internet): IRLP, Echolink, AllStar, WIRES etc? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

e9999

Gotta get outta here...
Threads
any interest in finding out what Mudders are using RoIP out there?

Would be good to get more inside info on those various protocols. Also, one could post what node or repeater one is using and possibly get some MUD air time every so often, as in prep for a big event for instance, like SnT. It'd be as simple as agreeing on a reflector at a given time and connecting and have a bunch of mudders talking. (Not what we are techy nerds, of course... :) )

I have a local IRLP node repeater. Haven't done the Echolink yet.

I'll throw this in -as rough explanation- for those of you who don't know yet:
With IRLP, you just find out if there is node repeater you can reach, when connected to the repeater you key in the node code of another repeater where you'd like to be heard (could be in another country) and talk. Your commo will then be transferred to the other repeater via the Internet and be heard out there as if you were a local there. Furthermore, there are so-called "reflector" nodes where a bunch of nodes could be connected together. For example, you can connect to the Western reflector in LV (node 9250), and hear folks from AK, Japan, and Germany all on your transceiver.

With Echolink it's a bit different. IIRC (somebody chime in) you download software and can talk in your computer (and/or transceiver connected to your computer?) and your commo gets transmitted via Internet to some other registered user or repeater.

With WIRES I think you need dedicated hardware.

When I got my call sign, Rami (KD2KDK) set up an IRLP link between his local repeater in Albany, NY and my local one in Jersey (node 4469) and we chatted for a while. It works well but it is a one way conversation between 2 linked repeaters. I don't know how you'd be able to expand on that.

Last edited:
I have wanted to try this but there is only one IRLP node repeater within possible range, and talking to the owner, it is only part-time. I am moving forward with HF to get more range and versatility.

When I got my call sign, Rami (KD2KDK) set up an IRLP link between his local repeater in Albany, NY and my local one in Jersey (node 4469) and we chatted for a while. It works well but it is a one way conversation between 2 linked repeaters. I don't know how you'd be able to expand on that.

well, as I was saying, it seems like you can go around that limitation by using a reflector. as in you connect your node to the reflector and so does he and anybody else who wants and you can all talk together, it's no longer just 2 distinct nodes only.
There is a list of reflectors on the IRLP main site.

I have wanted to try this but there is only one IRLP node repeater within possible range, and talking to the owner, it is only part-time. I am moving forward with HF to get more range and versatility.

of course, if you don't have good access to an IRLP node this won't be very satisfactory. You could use Echolink and use your computer directly instead. Seems easy to set up.

From what I gather HF can be fun and interesting but also pretty unreliable and random. (I was just listening to a conversation on the air yesterday where they were moaning that several bands of HF were just noise the last few days cuz of some solar activity (?). No idea if that is true or not.)

From what I gather HF can be fun and interesting but also pretty unreliable and random. (I was just listening to a conversation on the air yesterday where they were moaning that several bands of HF were just noise the last few days cuz of some solar activity (?). No idea if that is true or not.)

Yes, what bands are open depends very much on the time of day and how the ionosphere is ionized. Some are very predictable for daylight versus nighttime, but solar activity is more variable in the long run. More solar flares = more ionization = more HF bands open and propagating.

Echolink here. Yes - free software you can download, but you need to go thru verification steps with your call sign so they know you are licensed. Pain, but understandable so they know you are who you say you are with a valid license. Must have a working mic either in your computer or one you can plug in.

http://echolink.org/

Other than that, it works just like your regular radio, only you can hit any echolink repeater in the world from the comfort of your PC or I think operator to operator so if you are both on Echolink.

Apps available for iPhone and I think some android phones too. Not Blackberry tho. If you've got internet access with a compatible phone, you've got Ham radio. I have a Blackberry, so I've not tried these apps.

echolink is next on my list, but unfortunately I don't have a suitable phone either. the phone capability is a great feature I think.

Well, as soon as the blackberry 'contract' is over in 2012, I'm going with either an android or iPhone, both now supported here at work as well. They weren't when I 'had' to purchase the blackberry last year. Not that I'd use Echolink much via phone, but nice to have it, especially with an unlimited data plan.

well, as I was saying, it seems like you can go around that limitation by using a reflector. as in you connect your node to the reflector and so does he and anybody else who wants and you can all talk together, it's no longer just 2 distinct nodes only.
There is a list of reflectors on the IRLP main site.

I'm still getting off the ground with this ham stuff, so forgive me if I sound stupid. How would I connect my local repeater to a reflector. Isn't that something the repeater owner needs to do?

I'm still getting off the ground with this ham stuff, so forgive me if I sound stupid. How would I connect my local repeater to a reflector. Isn't that something the repeater owner needs to do?

Yes, the repeater owner physically connects his radio to the Internet.
What you do is contact the local repeater via your transceiver. You broadcast a code with your mike buttons, like push 1 2 3 4 to connect with repeater "1234", say. The local IRLP repeater then connects to node 1234 via the Internet and you are then listening to what is happening on repeater 1234 and can talk to them, all via your local repeater. Basically as if you were physically near 1234 and able to contact it with your radio. You can do that with any number of individual regular nodes, one at a time, but a reflector allows for more than one other repeater to connect with it, at a given time.

So,
- establish radio connection with your local IRLP repeater
- push "1234"
- hear all that's happening on repeater 1234
- push "73" when done

easier to do than explain.

Not that I'd use Echolink much via phone, but nice to have it, especially with an unlimited data plan.

I thought that myself, but I find I use it a lot to talk on a buddies repeater located in Scottsdale, AZ while I'm hanging out anywhere I have a connection to the net.

While it feels like cheating a bit it's great to be able to talk to friends via radio no matter where you are in the world as long as you can get to the net.

I thought that myself, but I find I use it a lot to talk on a buddies repeater located in Scottsdale, AZ while I'm hanging out anywhere I have a connection to the net.

While it feels like cheating a bit it's great to be able to talk to friends via radio no matter where you are in the world as long as you can get to the net.

You on a droid or iphone? How do you like the ease of the app on a phone?

I"m running it on Android.

The app is simple to operate and nice to be able to setup favorite links. It also runs in the background if you want to monitor a link but us other applications.

APRS on android is good too.

I"m running it on Android.

The app is simple to operate and nice to be able to setup favorite links. It also runs in the background if you want to monitor a link but us other applications.

APRS on android is good too.

Thanks! Good input to know.

Anyone running on an iPhone for purposes of a healthy exchange of information?

revisiting this old topic, I'm thinking that one big conceptual advantage of the phone access to echolink and the like systems is that your better half could just use her phone to contact you while you are out in the middle of nowhere with no cell reception but still with radio access to a repeater. So no issue with her having to deal with radio equipment. Could help.

Last edited:
We've used Echolink from Android phone to Radio for a few years (she will need Ham license for echolink). Lately prefer APRS text messages SMSGTE. Pretty good digipeater coverage on Rubicon and other high sierra locations these days.

Hi Jim, good to see you here. Ah, I miss the good old Surf and Turf days....

It's true that text messages are nice for asynchronous communication, but my impression is that with APRS you need specific hardware, whereas with Echolink you don't need much beyond your normal radio and computer. Is that not the case?
And, yes, there is the issue of the license for online Echolink access.

Hi Eric, good to see you here too. I haven't been checking in too much but expected to see your post count over a billion by now. :grinpimp:

The Echolink phone app works well provided you're mobile radio is in range and listening to a repeater with an echolink node. We use pre-set a "check-in" time when Katherine can call me through the app on her phone. The other direction doesn't work as well since she's unlikely to have the app open and linked to the repeater. Hence, the pre-set check-in times.

On the other hand with APRS messaging, I've had good luck with my Kenwood TH-72 HT as long as I am in reach of a digipeater. Nothing extra just the HT. I can send a text to her phone. She'll receive the text like any other. She can reply and I'll receive it provided I have still have APRS running and I'm still hitting the digipeater.

Eventually I added a Mobilinkd TNC to my Kenwood TM-71a and with APRSdroid on my phone. This works really well with more transmit power and the APRSDroid app is super easy to use. I've been able to communicate about 90% of the time when there's no cell service.

Jim

^ That sounds good. Of course, with a newer device with APRS built-in it's easy enough I guess. My mobile radio is an older one (FT-7800R), though, without APRS, so I'd have to add the TNC, cables etc I imagine, I'd need to look into that. But it has some sort of mini DIN packet connector that may well be working OK with a TNC device.
Are there more Echolink node repeaters or more digipeaters out there?
I did notice that our main local radio club repeater is no longer an IRLP node but has both Echolink and Allstar.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom