Moving out to MT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey all,

Partially just wanted to say hello. I'm going to be moving out to Missoula at the end of this month. Not completely sure of the future, will be there through October for sure, but may love it and stay. I'm open!

Been on a bit of a move since this past November. Moved from Oregon, with plans to end up in Colorado. Currently in Oklahoma, and now will end up in Missoula. Bit of a story, but looking forward to MT... I hear great things about it.

Any cruiser shops around those parts? I do what work I can, but still am learning and just nice to know for reference.

:cheers:

Welcome! We do not have a cruiser specific shop that I am aware of around town. We have "Toyota's Only" which is well regarded for general repair. There are several off road shops in town though I cannot speak to the quality of any of them at this point.

Welcome to missoula,
Say hey when you hit town, there are a handfull of us with 80's in missoula, No cruiser shops in town, cant say much about the toyota shop, I do all of my own work anyhow, We try to help each other out here.

Hey, welcome in advance!

I need to check this page more often.

There are some positives here. Mountains, rivers, breweries, pretty friendly people, a university, etc... Depends on what you're into. A local couple have just written the first off-road guide to the area which is really nice to have. It's only for sale locally to my knowledge.

Jake is the owner of Master Tech, the Toyota's Only shop, and he is a good guy. He hates working on Cruisers, but he does it. His shop does it anyway. He doesn't specialized in them so I think he finds things frustrating, including getting the parts. He likes to get people in and get them out with minimum expense and delay which is not always possible with Land Cruisers. He's been relieved lately when I was able to source my own parts quickly (CDan) and cheaper than he could get them through his sources. Oh, he doesn't do aftermarket stuff, just regular OEM type work. He did do my PHH workaround though and really appreciated the pics and instructions I provided from 'Mud.

There is a shop in East Missoula which kinda specializes in jeeps and mini-trucks. They pretty much only do the aftermarket stuff and I don't think any of us have ever used them.

Anyway, I'm one of the 4 or so of us with 80's here. Give a shout when you get into town.

Yeah, we're lucky to have Landroamer. I don't think there's anything he couldn't do.

Chris

Hey thanks guys for the welcome. Looks like I got most of you out there in one thread here. Excited to be out there.

I'm actually hitting the road in about 12 hours :D This will be my longest trip in the cruiser to date, 1800 miles, from SE Oklahoma.

Anyway, i'll definitely say a shout out when I get to town and looking forward to it. I'll be around in an all black cruiser with a 'Mud sticker.

-Travis

Cool Travis!

I'm on the east side of town in campus housing. Live in the big X shaped buildings visible from space on google satellite. It's 4 blocks south of UM right up against the base of the hill. We have street parking so it's pretty hard to miss. Pic of the Rhino below.

SE OK? So you've been to Robber's Cave? I lived in Dallas for 10 years and know the region somewhat.

I would have loved to offer a route suggestion if appropriate. Of course, you may have places to stay along the way or other reasons for your route selection. I just know that I wouldn't take the Interstates through Kansas, Denver, Wyoming, Billings MT, etc... Sooooo boring!

I'd head due west to Trinidad, CO then head across lower CO through Salida, over Monarch Pass to Grand Junction, CO. Then over and up to SLC and follow the most direct route NW to Missoula up through the Bitterroot Valley.

If it's relevant, that's my 2 unsolicited cents. :)

Save travels,

Chris

i-HtvG47f-X3.jpg

Welcome, long haul, should be interesting though. Yell when your in town, Like to check out your rig,

DSC01750.jpg

I think all you need is 7 toyotas to fit into criteria of them. Have to hook up with that book couple as they run backroads 4x4 club Im not a big fan of mountain jacks but know alot of the guys that started it. How many toyotas can we get grom here? And even if we dont do the whole " pay dues" BS we should all hook up for some runs. I know there are 2 fj40s in that backroads club another couple down here in Hamilton plus a few trail truck guys and 1 4runner guy I could get joined.

Does anyone know what happened to the montana toyota offroad club? Website says the founder is looking for a new president?

I think Landroamer knows the people the best. He's been to some meetings. I think there's a local Toyota club. I saw a white 4Runner down the street which looked like the one I saw on their site once. We have at least 4 dedicated LC guys here, one more is supposedly in town now, one guy down the street is stock but has expressed some interest in the past. Seems like we ought to have enough to get started. Might be worth joining up with Willie too.

Last edited:
Thats what I was thinking. Willie seems to be very nice and knowledgeable we talked via FB a couple times. That white 4 runner is the guy that started montana toyota offroad that I was referring too earlier.

He migh have sold it too. I think his name was kevin at least thats what the web site says. But the last time I can find anything about him or that club was 2007.

I ran into these guys last year wheelin up in the snow, I think kevin was still driving the 4 runner then, not sure, also a guy named Joe in a red 4 runner,
I am going to try and make the ice cream social, not sure yet, landcruiser wont be there though, still installing the injected 8
slow but coming along.

What kind of lift do you have on the 80 series, thanks, Larry

Welcome, long haul, should be interesting though. Yell when your in town, Like to check out your rig,

It's a hybrid of parts, bought and built, right at 6 in the front and 5 1/2 in the rear, 315 75r16 tires. Might have to make some adjustments though, I am in the process of an LT 1 v-8 conversion, this engine is quite a bit lighter than the old 6, we shall see.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom