Mojave Suspension System Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

The Mohave springs won't be for everyone because most 60 owners seldom see the dirt.
Because they were designed around a shackle reversal and a a longer travel front drive shaft most will shy away. For those that do a lot of wheeling and like their fillings to remain in their teeth, it's a good switch.
Bandicoot has done a very cool build up here, it's been fun following it. Most wouldn't go to these extremes to get every last bit of performance out of springs ( or any product for that matter ). The shackle reversal, driveshaft mods and shocks will get the system going. Limiting the travel to just under 12" with a shock like the OME long travels will simplify the install.
I expect the 40 series springs will be more popular because of the more hardcore nature of the average build, Man-A-fre and I wanted to get a 60 series on the market to give buyers an option. ....( The real reason is that I drive a 60 more often than a 40. It's more comfortable for by big, fat, old Akita, who goes with me whenever he can )

what'd you do for rear shocks? Did I miss that? Also, where did you get the front lower mounts or did you make them?

Last edited:
The front lower shock mounts are incorporated in the u-bolt flip kits

He didn't use the shock mounts from the flip kit as far as I can tell. He welded on some new ones since the shocks weren't quite right with them mounted to the flip kit plate.

you're right I was looking at page 9
He moved it around a couple pages later.
He's pushing a lot of wheel travel
Toyota designed about 6" into the 60.
He's getting almost 15"
I really didn't expect anyone would push these to their limit.
Even I'm only running about 12" travel. I knew there was more
because when i disconnect the shocks the axle falls farther.
I drew these up to handle 12" of deflection (travel). They exceeded that by a bit.
I still prefer to advertise the conservative numbers

I think what everyone is waiting for is the truck in action to see all of this amazing usable flex!

Sorry all, been away traveling for work. And yes I do have a day job :)
To answer some questions: Ford shock towers with PCS lower shock mount brakets welded to front axle. This allowed better shock travel and utilized more of the droop available and less stuff. I have 2" front bump stops coming which will prevent the shocks from bottoming out by about 1/2". I did not do anything at the rear other than 12" travel shocks. Tires hit inner wells way before shocks or bumps under stuff but I get a lot of droop out of rear! Yes I too need to get her out off road! Hoping soon but lately work is getting in the way!

For correction to previous statements. I by mistake doubled the travel up front. I am using 5125's with 14.3". All the bracketry is from Poly Performance not PCS. Like LCWizard said, 12" is a no brainer and the 15" I got was relatively easy and still one ends up with a extremely safe truck that I even let my wife drive!
I don't get any suspension loading and unloading and I've been trying! Now it is true, the more travel you go for the more $'s you will spend. BUT, I think this is great way to go if you want lots of travel and great capabilities off road with out some of the negative issues a SOA rig can have. Now don't get me wrong I love the rear Aussie but that made the truck handle more beastly than the suspension! The suspension is nice and fluid! Great work Dave!!!!!

Great thanks for the info, I appreciate it!

I'm doing something similar and didn't feel like fabbing the lower mounts for the shocks.

I figured you would have inboarded the rear shocks a bit more to fit longer ones on there, but I am tempted to take the route you took and just keep the stock locations.

you're right I was looking at page 9
He moved it around a couple pages later.
He's pushing a lot of wheel travel
Toyota designed about 6" into the 60.
He's getting almost 15"
I really didn't expect anyone would push these to their limit.
Even I'm only running about 12" travel. I knew there was more
because when i disconnect the shocks the axle falls farther.
I drew these up to handle 12" of deflection (travel). They exceeded that by a bit.
I still prefer to advertise the conservative numbers

Yeah, it's clear that the OME's that the kit comes with really limit the travel a lot. They are juuuust about long enough for the OME springs and suspension kit so it's no surprise that they are way too short for the shackle reversal with springs with more droop. How come you guys didn't offer the kit with longer travel shocks adn some bump stop spacers? The OME's seem way too short.

Last edited:
From what I understand they put together a basic kit that would limit obstacles for they average installer.
OME make only 1 shock longer for that application (really designed for they 80 series). The top stud
style of the 60 front is a serious restriction so converting to eyelet style tower like Bandicoot did gives you more options.
I believe the shocks included are about 10.8" travel, which is a fair upgrade from the stock ~6" travel suspension.
The longer OME's add another 1". Man-A-Fre is finding most owners don't want to spend the extra time
to get more travel. The drive shaft issue is scaring a lot of people away. It's tough to double the wheel travel, soften the ride and lift the truck with absolutely no mods other than springs and shocks.

you drivin this rig off road yet?

Old thread...but I'm curious what happened as well.

I'm back...It's been a long strange trip. Work has taken me strange places. Anyway, had issues with log in and tried to get my original name and posting numbers back but could not ? Had to reinvent myself. Waggy is still great with NO issues. Actually, even better after springs have settled in and softened up more! I have wheeled up and down the state and will post pics soon. Right now working on my 69' 40 project. Spending more time and $'s at Mark's than I care to admit :) Looks like life has settled down and will have some stability so plan on returning as a regular on the forum AGAIN...

I am running a similar set up on my bj60 but dumbed down quite a bit. Thought i would share a few of my findings. As far as front shocks go i ended up running a bilstein 7165 in front that was originally designed for a 6" lift jeep tj. I had it revalved by sonny at down south motorsports 360/80. it is a great match for the mojave springs. These shocks have 12 inches of travel and bolt in and fit perfectly. Compressed length is 16.4 so the axle will hit the bump stops before the shock bottoms out. with set up you will need a really long brake line and really long sway bar extensions, if keeping sway bars. for the drive line i had a toyota mini truck cv mated to my existing drive line and now it clears the crossmember at full droop. the whole set uo cost less than 200 counting a new toyota u joint. Rear shocks are bilstien 5150s with 10" stroke. that was as long as i could go with out lowering bump stops. Taking into account the angle of the shocks the rear travel is probably close to 12'' as well. The truck rides great and steers well. If i end up doing one last thing i will have a set of custom high steer arms built by 4x4 labs that flatten out the drag link angle a bit but not so much that the drag ling hits the frame when the suspension is bottomed out as a regular high steer kit would do. kind of a low or bottom mounted hi steer kit that would eliminate bump steer. I can't go frombie because of the location of the bj oil pan and i wanted to keep the front sway bar.Hope this helps. Thanks to lcwizard for designing such a high end system for a 25 year old truck. the mojave kit replaced an ome set up and it is on a totally different level. worth the extra effort.

Interior Seat Update

Yes I'm around play'n with my 40 but thought you might want to see ProCar seats for my 60:bounce:
IMG_0004 3.jpg
IMG_0008 2.jpg
IMG_0012 6.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom