Mojave Suspension System Build Thread (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SST (rear axle bearing locknut wrench) I got from SPX Service Solutions on their web site. Have all the available Toyota service tools. This was $38.00 Item No. 09509-25011.

Got Tires! :)

After much thought and all the s@#t around getting wheels and tires that will work, I decided to stay with stock 60 chomies and have them powder coated black. Bought BFG KM2 31x10.50r 15 for now. Will arrive tomorrow:clap: This will get me up and rolling and buy me time down the road to see if I want to change tire or wheel size. Thinking for now this will be a good all around road/ trail tire and I will buy some Interco SS Narrows 34x9.50's for any serious off road work. 2nd day of driving and veeeeeery happy! Aussie locker in rear is very quiet more than I thought it would be! Even checked it to make sure it's working! :cheers:
IMG_1038.jpg

SST (rear axle bearing locknut wrench) I got from SPX Service Solutions on their web site. Have all the available Toyota service tools. This was $38.00 Item No. 09509-25011.

big thanks .. !

it is a lot of work and effort for not such a big tire, what made this tire size choice

Someone needs an INTERVENTION !

(me ... I'm about 15 mins from all those places, errr.. maybe 1/2 hr to MAF :mad: )

You got a beautiful rear-end now ;)

I'm about 15 mins from all those places, errr.. maybe 1/2 hr to MAF.

'Why I Oughta'... you lil sh*t ! jealous no... just pure envy.But then I can shoot an Elk in my backyard. so hahaha :deadhorse:

I'm about 15 mins from all those places, errr.. maybe 1/2 hr to MAF.

'Why I Oughta'... you lil sh*t ! jealous no... just pure envy.But then I can shoot an Elk in my backyard. so hahaha :deadhorse:

I can shoot a burglar in mine ...

:D:grinpimp::rolleyes:

Old Grey has New Shoes !

Finally! The BFG KM2's arrived got mounted and balanced by a friend of mine that has a motoring accessories shop, so worked out great! 33x10.50-15's look great have that tall skinny retro look combined with the black stockers :grinpimp: These will act as all around tires for me, did not expect to be the best off road or on road kinda my AT version. But these clear all the suspension under full articulation. Going to get a set of Interco SS Narrows 34x9.50-15's for the real off road work. Just never going to be able to run wide tires on this set up and maintain full articulation that I set out to achieve, but with the 4.10's, locker, FF and all the rest of the goodies I think I can go where the big dogs roam:flipoff2: Driving impressions are still overwelmingly great! Locker is still very quiet unless I do something to wake it up! Need to take her out to the CA desert or Johnson Valley for a day of wheeling:hmm: :cheers:
IMG_1039.jpg
IMG_1042.jpg
IMG_1040.jpg

Looks darn good, Coot. Dreamer:flipoff2: With 33" tires and a full body sans armor I don't think you'll be following the true big dogs through JV, but it will be a lot more capable than when it was stock.
I know I'd be proud to pimp around in that truck!

Well, prolly right. Was always to be an exploration rig anyways, never a rock crawler :) Spent to much $'s to beat the S*#T out of it! But it's my dream :) Anyway, I can go anywhere the BIG DOG'S go, just because I will need to walk :)

Go wheel it and take some pictures!!

How is the noise with the new KMs? That truck is sweet, really nice work.

Drove most the day today. The BFG KM2's are not bad at all! I've driven much worse and noisy tires. There is a low rumble to them but noise is not really any concern. They grip very well and tend to make the Aussie work a little more in the rear end. They have a little more spongey feel than my old load E rated tires but those were so hard and stiff, wheeling would have been near impossible. Great for road only but no combo travel. Overall thus far I like them. I think they are a very good AT tire :)

I've also been chasing a leak in my Xfer case and after cleaning and searching pinpointed it to the speedo gear and it's "O" ring. Used a temp one and seemed to stop it. I need to order a Toyota part now, but what a PITA hunting, thought maybe the rear output seal but seems dry. Thought I saw a right up regarding machining the shoulder of the internal speedo body and using two oil seals on the speedo shaft instead of the one? Not leaking there yet but I'm sure thats next since all the seals in that area get cooked by the tranny, Xfer case and the nearby CAT! CHEERS!

Incredible build! :beer:

I'm actually kind of mad that this thread appears to be winding down, checking this thread has been part of my daily ritual.

I would attribute the majority of the 'sponginess' you feel to running 10.5" tires on 6" wide wheels, followed by the lower load rating.

Need some poser shots and a full shot of the truck post lift. Because it looks sexy.

Well, I'm lazy so I gotta ask....what's the story on the suspension?

It is honestly a worthwhile read. The Mojave springs look like an excellent product, BUT, it appears they require far more work to get the rubber to the road than say, an OME.

I would seriously consider these if my OME's ever fail, then again, Curt from Cruiser Outfitter's is a half hour away from me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom