1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mini Disc Problems

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by Cruiser4Randy, Jun 17, 2003.

1. Cruiser4Randy

Cruiser4Randy

I am completing a mini truck disc brake conversion on my ’72 FJ40 and have run into a problem. The problem is in the rear brakes. They don’t lock up :dunno:. I changed the stock MC to a unit out of a ’83 Celica. That car should have had disc front and drum rear. I have a feeling that the problem lies in the lack of a residual valve for the rear. I checked the old Celica MC and could not find any residual valves. Could there have been a valve that was place “inline” to give the rear drums the necessary line pressure? If so, is there a way to put a residual valve “inline” to solve the problem. If all else fails, I can go back to the original MC and just remove the valve out of the front :G.

Randy <><
    aka. webmaster
    ‘72 FJ40, stock F engine, LC 4 speed,
    York, No-Slip(rear), Lock-Right(front),
    Mini Disc Front, Saginaw P/S.

2. fj55-100

fj55-100 SILVER Star

randy i ran the same combo of parts in my 72 with no problem, but summit racing sells a residual valve , over time i swiched my master for a 1 ton toyota pu, the booster is the small fat one very similar to the later fj40 one only at a tenth of the cost

3. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

If I recall the celica brakes are signigicantly smaller than the ones on the truck or cruiser. I know the weight difference is great. You may just not have enough volume to make the rear drums lock up.

4. Cruiser4Randy

Cruiser4Randy

My research showed that even though the Celica was significantly smaller and lighter, the MC still produced the same volume as the mini truck. Both bores were 7/8". The larger bore (15/16") was used on other vehicles. I am almost sure that the MC I selected was from a Celica with four wheel disc brakes. I am going to test it further today and if I don't feel comfortable with the braking, I well go back to the original MC with the residual valve removed from the front line.

5. 73lndcrsr

73lndcrsr SILVER Star

That is good information to know. I would not have thought the celica had that big of a MC.

6. Cruiser4Randy

Cruiser4Randy

Well today I jumped in the truck and went for a good test drive. I didn't get a half mile from the house when I noticed the brakes were locking up. At first I thought it was the rear brakes but it turned out to be the fronts! I limped it home and switched out the MC back to the original for my '72. I did remove the residual valve from the front line. After bleeding the system, I again ventured out on the road. This time everything worked perfect. :doh: The moral of this story seems to be: Don't use a master cylinder from a '83 Celica! My thanks to all of you who responded.