Maximum Axle Weights - 1975 BJ40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
HI

Does anyone know what the actual recommended Axles weights are from Toyota?

I have been looking through this forum and other forums in France and Spain, looked in my FJ and BJ Manuals but can not find these numbers anywhere.

I live in Spain and have done some modifications to my BJ40. Here the paperwork is a nightmare. You have to have an engineers report on the modifications, with technical specs and invoices supplied. The final part of this process is to have the vehicle weighed.

I took it to a testing centre and they weighed the front axle, the back axle and the whole vehicle.

When they compared them to the original weights it seemed a bit crazy. Bear in mind I have added the same wheels and tyres front and back (ie same weight) and same suspension.

The front weight as originally stated was. 895kg it is now 1035kg
The back weight as originally stated was 1281kg and is now 855kg

Because of this, I can not get the paperwork accepted as the difference on the front axle is too high. The BJ had its factory fitted PTO winch both times (I am assuming) as I do not know for sure for the original tests.

Any information on the Toyota original axle weights would be greatly appreciated and a copy of any documentation would be even better

Many thanks

Jules

I take it your BJ40 doesn't have one of these plates in the drivers door jam?

Door Jam Tag.jpg

A picture is worth a thousand words.

No... I dont have one of those..... thank you so much.

So out of curiosity, what modifications have you done to transfer the weight to what it is now?

That's the problem... nothing that would effect it that much. I have changed the shocks and leaf springs, I have added a snorkel, added wheel arch flares and 2 spot lights. Changed the wheels (same size) but bigger tyres with 3cm wheel spacers. I took the hard top off and put on a soft top. I have reconditioned the engine, new pistons, cylinder liners and piston rings, new injectors etc. I reconditioned the gearbox and transfer case and am in the process of putting in some Aussie lockers front and rear. It seems the weights stated on the original papers were wrong. And they did not take into account the PTO winch. I have spoken to others in Spain who have had the same issue.

Last edited:
Anyone know the weight difference between a B and an F motor? Could they be comparing it to Fj40 specs?

I have spoken to someone else here in spain with the same model as mine.. and he has different weights on his paperwork

Those weights are not the actual weight of the truck at each axle, it is the amount of weight that was designed and can be legally carried on each axle.

You have the baseline weights, and you can load about 500 to 600 pounds more weight on the rear of your truck and not exceed the GAWR, or Gross Axle Weight Rating.

I would think the weight rating of the axle is the same around the world for the axles from each respective time period. For example, the pre 75 front axles have smaller wheel bearings, and most likely a smaller GAWR, the rear semi-float rear axles are probably all very similar, and the rear full float rear ends are probably similar. The other variable would be brakes, I don't know if Toyota factored them in in the FJ-40's or not, but that sometimes has an effect on GAWR and GVWR.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom