LX570 AHC “Basics” - Added as sticky thread for AHC Issues (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Without going back through the entire thread, how much fluid do I need for globe replacement?

if you are just replacing globes, not much. A quart or two. But while you are in there you should do a fluid flush. I would plan at least one of the 2.5qt metal cans + another quart.

if you are just replacing globes, not much. A quart or two. But while you are in there you should do a fluid flush. I would plan at least one of the 2.5qt metal cans + another quart.
Aren't you essentially doing a full flush since you have to crack each bleeder to depressurize? That would be a full flush minus the accumulator and sucking out the fluid in the reservoir- correct?

At that point you might as well evacuate the reservoir in Low and refill with fresh fluid = a full flush minus the accumulator (that many don't touch anyway).

I'm getting ready to order globes, so need to understand this a little better.

Aren't you essentially doing a full flush since you have to crack each bleeder to depressurize? That would be a full flush minus the accumulator and sucking out the fluid in the reservoir- correct?

At that point you might as well evacuate the reservoir in Low and refill with fresh fluid = a full flush minus the accumulator (that many don't touch anyway).

I'm getting ready to order globes, so need to understand this a little better.

I get your point, and I agree with you, might as well do a full exchange. However just depressurizing will not exchange all of the fluid in the system as you pointed out and likely wouldn't completely empty the reservoir.

When I did my accumulators I had already done a fluid exchange right before when trying to fix a rough ride (which it didn't). So in my case I just depressurized and put what came out back into the resivoir when bleeding.

Yes ^^

I get your point, and I agree with you, might as well do a full exchange. However just depressurizing will not exchange all of the fluid in the system as you pointed out and likely wouldn't completely empty the reservoir.

When I did my accumulators I had already done a fluid exchange right before when trying to fix a rough ride (which it didn't). So in my case I just depressurized and put what came out back into the resivoir when bleeding.
So if you're doing globes and want to exchange all fluid, would you just do another bleed (relieving pressure) at each corner after the new globes are installed? Plus extract fluid in reservoir first of course.

So if you're doing globes and want to exchange all fluid, would you just do another bleed (relieving pressure) at each corner after the new globes are installed? Plus extract fluid in reservoir first of course.

You wont be extracting anything out of the resi. You wont even be able to see the fluid to begin with.

Just bleed 4 corners. Twice. Keep fluid in the reservoir. No need to get fancy and destroy your pump

You wont be extracting anything out of the resi. You wont even be able to see the fluid to begin with.

Just bleed 4 corners. Twice. Keep fluid in the reservoir. No need to get fancy and destroy your pump
I sucked old fluid out of reservoir. Remove the cap. Remove the filter. Stick a hose in there that fits your 300ml syringe. Suck.

Make sure to replace fluid before draining at the bleed valves.

I sucked old fluid out of reservoir. Remove the cap. Remove the filter. Stick a hose in there that fits your 300ml syringe. Suck.

Yeah with like 1/4” tubing? The first time i came to do a flush after the 100, I realized I was going to be skipping that step. Lol. It really doesnt hold all that much either.

You know what, since you are clever, whats a good way to install a bulb in there? Off the tow harness? Ive dropped my flashlight too many times to count in that well. And i have to shake the truck to see the fill line move. Bigger light doesn’t really fit. I just overfill and rinse repeat.

This is what I did. Got a big syringe and sucked it out after bleeding.

Yeah with like 1/4” tubing? The first time i came to do a flush after the 100, I realized I was going to be skipping that step. Lol. It really doesnt hold all that much either.

You know what, since you are clever, whats a good way to install a bulb in there? Off the tow harness? Ive dropped my flashlight too many times to count in that well. And i have to shake the truck to see the fill line move. Bigger light doesn’t really fit. I just overfill and rinse repeat.
backlighting from the spare tire location is the ticket to being able to see. choose your magnetic mount light and proceed.

backlighting from the spare tire location is the ticket to being able to see. choose your magnetic mount light and proceed.
Just don't forgot you left your light in there. I can't find mine now and assume I must have left it in the space behind the pump and it has since fell out. Nothing like losing a $60 light with a $50 bosch battery attached to it. Maybe one day I'll find it shoved into some bag i shouldn't have shoved it into, but for now I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Just don't forgot you left your light in there. I can't find mine now and assume I must have left it in the space behind the pump and it has since fell out. Nothing like losing a $60 light with a $50 bosch battery attached to it. Maybe one day I'll find it shoved into some bag i shouldn't have shoved it into, but for now I'm pretty sure that's what happened.

Exactly!
I almost gave up on one in a similar fashion. Also tired of scratching up my hand and arm and crawling. Theres just too much crawling involved, and maybe yalls year is different, but from the spare, the resi compartment is almost completely shrouded in plastic outside of a bottom “drain” hole on mine. @grinchy if you have some sort of secret here do tell… Also since you know the circuits in this truck like a mad scientist, must be a good way to run an LED strip behind the resi?

Exactly!
I almost gave up on one in a similar fashion. Also tired of scratching up my hand and arm and crawling. Theres just too much crawling involved, and maybe yalls year is different, but from the spare, the resi compartment is almost completely shrouded in plastic outside of a bottom “drain” hole on mine. @grinchy if you have some sort of secret here do tell… Also since you know the circuits in this truck like a mad scientist, must be a good way to run an LED strip behind the resi?
I don’t see any reason to glow light the reservoir permanently. For a task you do every third year?
Just crank the tire down. It takes 5 min.
it’s not too late to get a low body creeper too, every garage should have one.

I don’t see any reason to glow light the reservoir permanently. For a task you do every third year?
Just crank the tire down. It takes 5 min.
it’s not too late to get a low body creeper too, every garage should have one.

Not that I would fill that often, but would be nice to do be able to do a fluids visual.

Ill rig up a stick on LED strip to the bottom with a 9v lead or something lol.

LX developed a slight lean/sag, so I replaced all 4 accumlators and went through 4 liters of AHC fluid. Globes came off with ease and refilled the reservoir, I think, two times while bleeding all four corners before and after new globes installed. 2011 with 190k . Placing a light on the backside of the axle next to the spare tire gives you a good view of the fluid level. Thanks to this, forumn got it done for less than $850. Lean/sag is gone for now Cheers!

LX developed a slight lean/sag, so I replaced all 4 accumlators and went through 4 liters of AHC fluid. Globes came off with ease and refilled the reservoir, I think, two times while bleeding all four corners before and after new globes installed. 2011 with 190k . Placing a light on the backside of the axle next to the spare tire gives you a good view of the fluid level. Thanks to this, forumn got it done for less than $850. Lean/sag is gone for now Cheers!
Nice. My globes came in last night and I can't wait to tackle this and improve my ride. It's pretty rough.

Nice. My globes came in last night and I can't wait to tackle this and improve my ride. It's pretty rough.
Good deal I had 5 liters of the AHC fluid and the dealer flushed 2.5 liters replacing front shocks 3 months ago. I used about 5 liters and the fluid was still not a clear. If your looking to do a full flush maybe 7.5 liters needed. Just a heads up.

Good deal I had 5 liters of the AHC fluid and the dealer flushed 2.5 liters replacing front shocks 3 months ago. I used about 5 liters and the fluid was still not a clear. If your looking to do a full flush maybe 7.5 liters needed. Just a heads up.
Did the job last night, but not without some hiccups. 3/4 of the globes were seized/nuts stripped and I had to drill them out and insert rods to gain leverage to spin them out. Also, on install of one globe, the O-ring failed and when pressurized, began to leak out of the top of the globe. Fortunately, I had extra O-rings and finished the job.

It took about 4 liters of fluid but would have taken less has I not had the latter mishap. 1 :banana: job turned to a :banana::banana: job. But my ride is firm and smooth and I didn't spill my coffee once on the way to work. the mechanic was quoting me $4000 for the job, but I was able to get it done for about $750. Thanks Mud for saving me!

I make it a point to go into 4LO and lock my diff every 3 months or so to exercise the parts and prevent them from seizing up, especially lately as I have unfortunately gone a while without any off-road (newborn at home) - this time AHC did not automatically raise into HI mode for whatever reason.

I am pretty sure it is supposed to automatically, correct?

I have never had any issues with my AHC and bled and replaced the fluid 5,000-10,000 miles ago and have gone off-road and into 4LO with HI functioning as it should multiple times since then.

Any ideas?

I make it a point to go into 4LO and lock my diff every 3 months or so to exercise the parts and prevent them from seizing up, especially lately as I have unfortunately gone a while without any off-road (newborn at home) - this time AHC did not automatically raise into HI mode for whatever reason.

I am pretty sure it is supposed to automatically, correct?

I have never had any issues with my AHC and bled and replaced the fluid 5,000-10,000 miles ago and have gone off-road and into 4LO with HI functioning as it should multiple times since then.

Any ideas?
Did it attempt to go to HI and not make it? Or no attempt. If no attempt, will it go to HI if you activate it with AHC control?

We’ve seen in the forum where a hidden DTC thrown by AHC system will stop some of the automatic features (in that case he noticed the easy access stopped working).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom