Lowering raised bj74 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am looking at buying an '88 bj74 that has been raised. I am an idiot, so I will ask what is, for you, a stupid question: Is it hard to lower a raised LC?

Peter

This much.
03821_003.jpg

I'd put bigger tires on it and keep rolling. You will have to find some stock springs I guess.

how much is it? To me the photos do not look that great. Some thing looks odd about the rear springs. Look closely at the rear shackles. It might be extremely modified, so much that it might be difficult to return it to stock.

those are some really funky shackles... if regular shackes will actually fit on with those springs i'd run them... Love the tires, it's just too high for em

nice trucks

specs?
Price?

Its got those weird shackles with one open side,might not even be legal in Canada
The spring packs look like a couple of leaves have been removed and the remaining ones re set to lift it up high.
My guess it would have good flex but very little load carrying abilty.\

Paint doesnt look right,like its been resprayed.
They also normally have F/G flares.
Ill take another guess and say it was someones wheelin rig that has been dented, patched up and sent to the auctions.

Last edited:
that truck looks like trouble to me...

Auction pics are always deceiving,what does the spec sheet say on it.
Don't let these guys burst your bubble if you can get it for a good price with shipping go for it.
The shackles have to go... they have the most whacked out aftermarket shackles over there.
The tires are probably just some stocker 31 or 32s it probably had 33 or 35s before it went to auction.
You don't want to lower it unless your plans are for a DD if you are going to wheel it keep it as is and run it for awhile to decide.
Looks like its a FF rear do you know if it has cable lockers,is the motor a 3b or the 13bt,5 spd or auto.

Last edited:
Auction pics are always deceiving,what does the spec sheet say on it.
Don't let these guys burst your bubble if you can get it for a good price with shipping go for it.
The shackles have to go... they have the most whacked out aftermarket shackles over there.
The tires are probably just some stocker 31 or 32s it probably had 33 or 35s before it went to auction.
You don't want to lower it unless your plans are for a DD if you are going to wheel it keep it asis a run it for awhile to decide

I did mean to add that it was all about the price,but realistically,I would be budgeting for a spring kit.

ah those shackles i asked about a while ago

As blurr showed i was going to say when i went to a car museum the other week it had a really really oldschool jeep and that had the same design shackles or C shackles on it
i think they are to give a great flex

x2 about tyres just put on bigger ones to fill the wheel arches
20090103-16.JPG

go ahead!

Any more pics of the cruiser mate??

It's a five speed - unknown about lockers - 134K kms - will go for about 400,000 Yen on Friday's auction. Needs some exhaust work. I'll pass. I want a daily driver will no fuss once I get it here. One more picture...
03821_002.jpg

400,000 yen thats why I have not bought any yet...by the time I land it pay taxes and certified I am looking at ball park 7 bills,my 40 series and 60 series average a notch over 5 bills.
But next year I am considering bringing some in I like the longer wheel base 70s better but the shorties seem to be popular in Canada.
Being in Alberta with all that snow it may be an advantage to have a lifted 70 to slug through those snow drifts.

hi. I have a BJ74, which was raised to a height similar to yours. As I am usually off roading with it I was a bit hesitant about the stability. So I have the springs decambered and removed one leaf each.
Thereafter re bound the springs and put in new bushes (poly) all round..
Much more comfortable and safer ride..

hey i saw that bj74. I know what site you spotted it on. Its been on the auction a few times. i guess no pulls. Full floaters on it so i would hope that you could it with cable lockers.
i justs imported my truck into canada. i can tell you who i delt with. hes a pretty genuine guy.
no complaints from him and he doesnt buy crap trucks. if you would like some info pm me.
best of luck to you.

btw, my dad just go his HZJ73. he got a 5 speed with electric front and rear lockers. really nice unit.
thats another one to look at.
the bj70 he has is louder than the hzj73.
the 73 has oodles more power and hes only driven it 2 blocks.
we can give you an update on it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom