Looking for 24 volt Alternator (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi: I am in Cancun Mexico, driving my faithful HJ 60 south. The alternator is packing it in. Should read 28 volts all the time, but only puts out 24 volts. Yes I checked regulator, and believe it is not the problem. Qualified auto electric people have done the same, and we all have come to the conclusion that it is the alternator. Toyota in Canada has told me that the part is no longing available. Getting it rewind does not seem like a good alternative. Open to suggestion, but better, a new alternator shipped to Cancun. Thank you for your time and help.

Why is rewinding not a good option? It seems like the most economical plan - do you not trust the local auto-electric people?

http://www.4wheelauto.com/shop/productdetail?id=736623

It looks like this one has the vacuum pump, but not the oil lines, though I may be mistaken. You'd have to phone and ask. The reason I suggested repairing your current alternator is because it is a rare and unique 24 volt beast that also has a vacuum pump for your brake assist and has fancy oil lines to keep it lubricated. It's hard to replace all those capabilities with an aftermarket alternator.

The problem with rewinding is that it is supposingly differrent for 24 volts. Thicker wire and other stuff. I do not speak Spanish well enough to understand it all. But I agree. If I could find someone to do it, it would be the most economical way to go. Know good alternator repair shop in Cancun?

If your alternator has a low voltage output it's the brushes or one or more defective (rectifier) diode(s).
Go to a truck or boat shop (because trucks and boats are 24V) and they will tell you where to find a "taller electrico automotriz" (Spanish for automotive electric repair shop) who can test and fix your problem.

Rudi

Last edited:
All well wit the alternator Got a new one from 4 Wheel Auto as in an attempt to fix I, hey took it apart, windings and all.?? Now have no glow plugs lighting up. Ideas?

All is mostly well. The "taller electric automotriz" took the whole thing apart, rewound the motor and it was blowing past 32 volts. Thought it would cook the batteries. Got new one shipped in from the great guys at 4 Wheel Auto in Edmonton. Now the glow plugs light only comes on for a blink of an eye. That 32 volts plus, must have fried something. Any ideas?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom