Live Help: '91 FJ80 Oil Leak (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey guys - I'm a bit stumped on a pretty major oil leak on my '91 cruiser.

I have noticed some smoking (burning oil) from the right side (if viewed from the front) of the motor near the valve cover. I figured immediately that it was a bad valve cover gasket so I did the not-so-fun job of replacing the gasket with a Toyota OEM gasket. Seems like the problem is now possibly worse. I drove the truck just a few miles and the smoke was very profuse. When I lift the hood the smoke is pouring out from the right side of the engine (again, viewed from front) and also seems to be VERY profuse near the rear exhaust y-pipe connection. You can see visible moisture. I have circled the areas that the smoke seems to emit from.

IMG_3329.jpg

IMG_3330.jpg

Where do you think this leak is coming from? It is hard to tell visible moisture since the engine has a bit caked on here and there. I guess it is possible I distorted the gasket during installation, but I was very careful not to. Anyone know what the torque should be on the valve cover bolts? I went with "snug"

Open to any ideas/suggestions.

External leaks on that side would only come from the valve cover gasket. You might snug up the bolts a little more and you could just be experiencing oil residue that made its way to the exhaust manifold from changing the gasket.

or you pinched the valve cover gasket when installing it. If I recall, it is not the best fit in the groove in the cover.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom