Limited Slip Differential (Metal Shavings) (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Good day everyone, this is my first post to the forum, but I've been accessing it for years. I usually find the answer without needing to post. However, I need some expert advice on a recent issue. I have a 2001 100-series 1HD-FTE imported to Mozambique from Japan. The vehicle is in impeccable shape, but was in need of front axle assemblies. I recently took the vehicle to a Toyota dealership in South Africa to have the axles replaced and transfer case/differential oil replaced. The drive from the dealership to where I reside in Mozambique is about 550km. During the drive, I started to notice what seemed like a locked differential when making slow turns (CDL was not locked). The symptoms got worse over the drive, and when I finally arrived home I diagnosed it as rear differential chatter from the limited slip clutch. I reached out to the dealership and asked if they replaced the rear differential fluid with oil rated for limited slip (my rear diff has a bright red sticker that states "LSD only"). They responded by saying it was GL-5, not to worry about it, and keep the fluid that was added, but they would not specifically tell me if the fluid was for LSD. I immediately drained the rear differential and found a lot of metal shavings on the drain plug magnet (see attached photos). The metal pieces are not fine filings, but they are not chucks either, rather very thin shavings. I replaced the fluid with full synthetic 75W-90 GL-5 specifically rated for limited slip differential. The chatter disappeared within the first 50 meters of driving it and turns are now smooth with no noise. Here are my main questions, looking at the photos is this anything I should worry about or carry on as usual? Could the shavings be from prematurely wearing down the clutch pack? Could other damage have been caused to the spider gear or delamination of other gear surfaces? My intuition is telling me to change the fluid again in the near future and check the drain plug magnet for any abnormal metal pieces, and if all is good to move on and not worry. Thanks in advance.

metal shavings drain plug.jpg

metal shavings.jpg

metal shaving upright.jpg

Some metal on magnet is normal. But in your case, it should have been clean.

The chuck and amount is not good considering just flushed, 550km ago. Even color is wrong. Did you measure and look at gear lube that came out..

GL-5 is LS.

All you can do, is document with Dealership include pictures and statement. Drive and see how it does. You may want to drain, inspect gear lube and fill again. In a few thousand KM.

Some metal on magnet is normal. But in your case, it should have been clean.

The chuck and amount is not good considering just flushed, 550km ago. Even color is wrong. Did you measure and look at gear lube that came out..

GL-5 is LS.

All you can do, is document with Dealership include pictures and statement. Drive and see how it does. You may want to drain, inspect gear lube and fill again. In a few thousand KM.
Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I drove around some more today, taking some slow figure 8 turns and the chatter has completely disappeared. I'm just hoping that the differential components are robust enough to carry me along without major repairs. I have a question about the GL-5. There were two types being sold at the auto store, GL-5 that contain friction modifiers for limited-slip differentials and the same brand but specified LSD on the bottle. Does that make sense? It's the only thing I can think of that has "corrected" my problem.

Thank you for the reply, I appreciate it. I drove around some more today, taking some slow figure 8 turns and the chatter has completely disappeared. I'm just hoping that the differential components are robust enough to carry me along without major repairs. I have a question about the GL-5. There were two types being sold at the auto store, GL-5 that contain friction modifiers for limited-slip differentials and the same brand but specified LSD on the bottle. Does that make sense? It's the only thing I can think of that has "corrected" my problem.
Meant to say one GL-5 did not contain friction modifiers and the other specified that it did, same brand and weight.

Looks like it did not have friction modifier for the limited slip and damaged the clutches. I would be concerned that metal is also in the bearings. I would tear it down and inspect everything. The limited slip probably needs to be rebuilt.

Meant to say one GL-5 did not contain friction modifiers and the other specified that it did, same brand and weight.
Contact the manufacture

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom