Lids for 100s (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi Kevin –

I thought I'd round out the year with yet another friendly plea for a 100-series tailgate lid. I would love to have the benefit of your expertise applied to my 2000 UJZ100 tailgate.

I hope 2011 is a great year for you!

Bill Thackrey

Hey Bill.
Did you get rid of the 80?
I sent you an email about the 80 lid back in February but never heard anything back?

Anyway, I assume you saw this thread over in the 100 section:
https://forum.ih8mud.com/100-series-cruisers/361659-rear-tailgate-storage.html

I've been posting over there on the progress of the 100 lid, and there is actually progress. I have a prototype completed, but there aren't any 100s around here that are willing to stop by for some test fitting.
I've just about given up on that and plan to send what I have out to a couple friends in NV who will give it a test run and let me know of any issues.

Here is where the prototype sits for now:

IMG_3336.jpg

If you are interested in one, drop me an email and I'll in turn drop that email in my 100 folder.
Not really doing a list for these, as of right now I have about 30 emails in there for folks who are interested.
:cheers:

I want one

Kevin

Bring one over to Australia, I'll gladly allow you to use my 100 as a prototyper, I have all the tools over here too. Bring the family and stay for a holiday while your here.

Seriously, I am interested in this, not sure if freight would torpedo the idea though

Cheers

Dave

Hey Dave, thanks for the offer!
Usually you would be right, shipping to OZ tends to kill the deal, but I think in this case the airfare would as well!
That would more more than my yearly profit margin. :p

The prototype lid is bolted in the tailgated and wrapped up waiting for a ride out to Nevada for my crack test team to give it a shot.
Hopefully we will have some real-world photos soon and we can get the project underway.
KR

Cross posted from the 100 forum:

This is actually edited and expanded from an email I sent earlier today:

It looks like the design of the 100 lid works just fine,
The lids should basically be ready to go. However, I've still been dragging my feet a bit.

As you guys know, the second prototype is out in NV right now and has been test fit with basically no issues, the design appears to be finished pending a couple tiny adjustments, but I have not seen the fit personally and that has me worried.
I trust the two guys that played with the proto, but I'm still not comfortable sending something out that I have not FULLY reviewed and tested myself, just makes me nervous.

Anyway, I've been thinking that I will do an initial run of 5 100 lids and offer them up as beta versions for adventurous folks, or those in a hurry.

There are about 30 names in the 100 folder of folks interested in lids
and they would have first dibs on a test batch (with some other conditions).

As of right now it looks like the 100 lids use almost exactly the same amount of material and the same fabrication effort as the 80 lids.
The only thing left to check is whether I will be able to get the same yield from the sheet metal since the 100 has the little wings on the gate edge
For the time being, the price structure will be the same as the 80 lids (which is still way too damn expensive).

And, these initial lids lids will not be discounted, they will be full price, but also fully guaranteed like all my other stuff.

Also, I am going to be selective as to who can get them, basically I am going to need individuals who are fairly competent wrenches who are also capable of figuring out most of the installation for themselves (with lots of my support) since I also don't have comprehensive instructions yet. (with no truck to instal in it's hard to get the photos needed). :-b

Which brings me to the next point, I also would prefer folks with a good presence here on Mud so that we can get a collection of photos and installation issues posted up for everyone to learn from.

The only advantage for the buyer in this case is the chance to be the coolest kid on the block by getting a lid faster than everyone else, and the security in knowing that the price can only go up from here. :p

Thoughts?

And a couple photos sent to me from the boys in NV:

IMG_2973.JPG

IMG_2978.JPG

IMG_2903.jpg

I sent the basic version of the latch out to test the possible interference with the set plate, and there was a bit of one.
The plate caught on the edge of the latch.

IMG_2904.jpg

The easy solution to this problem is that I am going to push the stainless latches for the 100s.
They have a smooth transition to the surface that will let the set plate slide right over them.
Not to mention they are the top of the line super-slick latch, since hundys are the the super-slick cruiser, it only seems natural. :p

(the other way around this it to rout out a recess for the standard latch if anyone really wants to run them, but that's a pain in my arse)

Other than that we are concerned that the set plate might rattle since it rides on a hard surface now, easy fix with some stick on furniture type padding to the leading edge of the plate, but I am putting together something hopefully a little more secure.

KR

I just finished up the welding on the first 5 beta 100 lids, these will be going to the powder coater today and will be ready to head out next week. :cool:

IMG_4382.jpg

I've got 5 test trucks lined up and Ill have those folks subscribe to this thread so we can all see how they work in the real world.

Stay tuned for more photos!
KR

Install Done, Complete write up tomorrow!

Like it says, It took me ~ 3 hours start to finish, a couple hiccups along the way. Should be a 45 minute job for someone who has done it once.

I'm off to a black-tie wedding tonight. I'll try to get a complete write up posted in the 100 forum tomorrow

Rich just jumped right on chopping his truck up!
I didn't even post my pics yet, I'll post what little info I have now and hopefully Rich can start to complete the picture for us.

So first off the 100 gates are the first ones that require a few different bolt sizes. Well, they are all 1/4-20s but there are two lengths and then a set of carriage style bolts that are not shown in this pic.

IMG_3738.jpg

Of the three longer bolts the first two are for the center holes on the ends, here:

IMG_3743.jpg

And here:

IMG_3744.jpg

That third extra long bolt is meant for this location (where the wrench is pointing). You can see the cable in my hand here, it wants to sit in the space.

IMG_3751.jpg

With the longer bolt in place you can actually just tuck the cable behind the bolt stud and the fit is snug enough that it pops in the space behind it and holds it in place. It's pretty low-tech, but simpler is better. :p

IMG_3754.jpg

This bolt hole is problematic, there is a bunch of structure in the way from the latch and I find it next to impossible to get a washer and a nut on this bolt, just a nut is hard enough, so I'm saying that no washer is required. :p

IMG_3757.jpg

The 100 gates are also by far the best engineered of the cruiser gates and take quite a bit to cut open.
You are left with these ribs on the hinge side, they do not interfere with the tailgate lid, but they do interfere with the storage space. You can see how these are cut at 90 degrees, I recommend taking a cut-off wheel (and a face shield) and cutting these at a 45 degree angle to make the most of the space.

IMG_3734.jpg

Another thing to note on the 100s is that I've gone back to my original style edge trim.
I used to use this stuff on the 80 lids but people started having trouble with it coming off. It doesn't really grip the surface that much, it relies on contact with the metal underneath to sandwich it in place. On the 80 two things made this not work, first is that they are most often not flat, lots of dents make it so the edge trim is not sandwiched everywhere. But more importantly the back edge of the 80 gates is not flat to start with, it has a detent area that doesn't grip the trim as well as it should.

Anyway, the old style edge trim looks and works better and 100 lids are flat and much stronger, the hope is that the lid frame will contact the gate and sandwich the edge trim in place better than on the 80s.

Here is a shot of the trim on the 100 template:

IMG_1476.jpg

And here is a detail showing the structure of the new trim I use on the 80 gates:

IMG_3275.jpg

The new trim has metal gripers to keep it in place and a welt to make up for any dents and bends and make sure the trim is still sandwiched firmly in place.

The old edge trim looks better and catches less dirt and I hope that it will work on the 100 lids, our testers will have to see. :p

KR

Kevin where's the line for these? I'd like to get in it....

Hey Greg,
Drop me an email and we can sort something out, theres not much of list at all.

I'm still dragging my feet on the these though, there are only a few folks who ended up following through with the test version installation, and feedback has been limited.
So far no issues, but I still have not seen one installed in person.

KR

This is one of the best mods I did to my truck. I got to put my third row back in and now I can carry a full set of whatever tools I like as well as an extra belt and complete first aid kit without junking up the cargo area of the truck.

My trim has come loose in one spot, but I can just loosen the allen bolts and put it back. I'm pretty lazy :)

My trim has come loose in one spot, but I can just loosen the allen bolts and put it back. I'm pretty lazy :)

Good info, thanks.
As per a few posts above I was hoping the 100 gates would be even enough to hold the better looking edge trim in place.
Looks like we will be going with the stronger (less pretty) stuff.
If you get up to taking your lid off let me know ahead of time and I will send you the stronger stuff so you can just put that on instead.

Well, I bought one of the Beta lids from Kevin, hopefully I can get it on this weekend and provide some new pics and notes for install on top of what DY has in his install thread.

This will be my 2nd lid from Kevin, he does fabulous work:cheers:

Very cool Carl!
It looks like you put some furniture sliders under the set plate? That is one of the things I wanted to try. Does it make a difference?
The plate ramps over the bolts just fine but the beginning of the honeycomb reinforcement can catch on the edge of the gate.

KR

kevinmrowland said:
Very cool Carl!
It looks like you put some furniture sliders under the set plate? That is one of the things I wanted to try. Does it make a difference?
The plate ramps over the bolts just fine but the beginning of the honeycomb reinforcement can catch on the edge of the gate.

KR

Yeah had some self adhesive felts, not sure if they will last, but works well. Now i just nee a super hd helper spring:)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom