Let's see your man cave / shop lounge (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I just scored a shop in Provo Utah...It used to be the old coca cola factory. Nice brick walls built in the 1930's
I'll get some photos up soon. It is way old skool!
here is a couple of shots from inside the shop. I love the old brick.
Photo0147.jpg
Photo0148.jpg
Photo0151.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry I might have missed it but what happened to your first slab? Bad pour?

Sorry for skipping the middle part. The pad has been a bit of a nightmare. The pour was 27 yards of concrete, split between 3 loads. The first truck (footings) got lost on the way up to our place so the concrete had been in the truck for upwards of 2 hours, the 2nd truck (left half of pad) was waiting to pour for about the same amount of time, then the concrete sat for 2 hours before the right half of the pad was poured. Long story short, we had a cold joint in the middle and then they decided to sawcut the pad before it had all cured.

CIMG2191.jpg

All of the cuts crumbled so I had them cut it out. They left the footings and had an engineering firm get approval to dowel the new with the old. This is a permitted garage so I was ok with it.

CIMG2199-1.jpg

CIMG2206.jpg

The only part that sucks is that they deep jointed the pad so I'll have to contend with the wide grooves when cleaning out the shop. It doesn't worry me too much because I'll be using a 400hp Stihl blower to send the dirt on it's way. I swear when I strap that thing to my boy and have him point it down it'll launch him like a jetpack.:D (Shameless plug for D'Animal)

Thought i share the progress of building my men cave with you folks, so we may get some new pictures here. ;)

It used to be the workplace of a blacksmith, i never thought that black holes do exist but in fact i found one when i opened that door...........

dorfweil%20006.jpg

dorfweil%20009.jpg

Peter,
That's a great old building. I lived in Fulda and Hanau for a couple of years and and always thought the Bad Homburg area was beautiful. In California it's rare to see a building that's more than a hundred years old, but in parts of Germany it's the norm. It always amazed me that I could ride my mountain bike for 70 miles and stay on dirt the whole way (Hanau to Bad Homburg). The lack of fences was amazing. Beautiful country.

Pat

I just scored a shop in Provo Utah...It used to be the old coca cola factory. Nice brick walls built in the 1930's
I'll get some photos up soon. It is way old skool!
here is a couple of shots from inside the shop. I love the old brick.

Heres a couple more shots of my shop...I love the old brick walls. And the skylights for the natural light.
Photo0223.jpg
Photo0220.jpg
Photo0218.jpg

Today the concrete got poured in, couldnt watch it ......had to work.

Before
Haus-027.jpg

Steel and more steel.......the floor will be 30cm / 1feet thick

After :)
Haus-11-2010-017.jpg

Haus-11-2010-016.jpg

Haus-11-2010-014.jpg

Minor bummer.........:whoops:
Haus-11-2010-011.jpg

Neighbours cat walked over the fresh soft and warm concrete.......furry little bastard! ;)

Next thing will be installing the Fireplace, so i got it cosy when starting with building the work area.:cool:

@Pat: If you ever feel to visit germany again, come around for a chat & beer!:beer:

Sounds good Peter.

Trusses on and some more sheeting. Building inspector comes for a look tomorrow.

CIMG2289.jpg

CIMG2286.jpg

Yesterday evening :popcorn:

:bounce2::bounce::bounce2:Got the Franklin installed.:bounce::bounce2::bounce:
Haus-11-2010-1-006.jpg
Haus-11-2010-1-004.jpg

...just like a inside campfire, had no marshmallows......:whoops:
The 50€ buying that thing on FleaBay are a good investment for my man-cave future, i guess.

Had some time on my hands while watching the concrete drying that week.
Haus-11-2010-1-010.jpg

Always thought of using these leftovers for something ...;)

not a "man" cave, but here's my somewhat packed workshop. hope to get a 20x8 shed next year to move a lot of the stuff into so i have more work room
DSC02072.jpg
DSC02071.jpg

Nice use of the left overs! Did you keep the power hammer in the 3rd pic from post 114? Any chance you could get some other pics of it if you did keep it? I so want one of those!

Thanks!
Nick

Yesterday evening :popcorn:

:bounce2::bounce::bounce2:Got the Franklin installed.:bounce::bounce2::bounce:
Haus-11-2010-1-006.jpg
Haus-11-2010-1-004.jpg

...just like a inside campfire, had no marshmallows......:whoops:
The 50€ buying that thing on FleaBay are a good investment for my man-cave future, i guess.

Had some time on my hands while watching the concrete drying that week.
Haus-11-2010-1-010.jpg

Always thought of using these leftovers for something ...;)

Nice use of the left overs! Did you keep the power hammer in the 3rd pic from post 114? Any chance you could get some other pics of it if you did keep it? I so want one of those!

Thanks!
Nick

Hi Nick,
i did not keep it but didnt like to get rid of it for good, so i gave it to a friend of mine. He did put it right in front of his shop as a eyecatcher for customers.
I will take some pictures next week.

Got a nice wooden bench/table set from my brother in law, that has a place in my man cave-garage now.:cool:

Haus-11-2010-2-013.jpg

Did put the fireplace on a base to lift it and get better heat performance.;)

Almost done. Roof, side door and most of the windows are in. Since the pad set us back a month the builder said he'd install 2 more windows to make up for the trouble. One will go on the south wall above the workbench, the other in the front on the south side of the garage door. The wife was set on red so that's what she got. I just couldn't see fighting about color for the next 10 years (to life):bang:. Green trim to match house. Eventually we'll side the front with cedar.

CIMG2323.jpg

CIMG2308.jpg

CIMG2313.jpg

@ fireflyr: Ready to move in?

Wish i could build one just like this here but not enough space available.

I like the colors, they remind me of a friends house in the US.

@ fireflyr: Ready to move in?

Wish i could build one just like this here but not enough space available.

I like the colors, they remind me of a friends house in the US.

Peter,
Just waiting on the roll-up doors and final inspection from the building department. A friend will wire it after the inspections. The paint has had a chance to dry so it isn't quite so bright, or maybe I'm just getting accustomed to it.
Are the monks at the Kreuzberg still making beer? I still have a couple of 1L mugs from that place:beer:.

Pat

PS Love that table and benches. I can remember friends finding beautiful wood furniture on 'Junking Day'. Does that still go on? I seem to remember that people were taxed not only on their homes, but also the contents. Anything that wasn't wanted was put out on the curb. We must have looked like a bunch of bums picking up 'antiques' on the street.:)

Peter,
Just waiting on the roll-up doors and final inspection from the building department. A friend will wire it after the inspections. The paint has had a chance to dry so it isn't quite so bright, or maybe I'm just getting accustomed to it.
Are the monks at the Kreuzberg still making beer? I still have a couple of 1L mugs from that place:beer:.

Pat

PS Love that table and benches. I can remember friends finding beautiful wood furniture on 'Junking Day'. Does that still go on? I seem to remember that people were taxed not only on their homes, but also the contents. Anything that wasn't wanted was put out on the curb. We must have looked like a bunch of bums picking up 'antiques' on the street.:)

You gonna insulate and rock it?

You gonna insulate and rock it?

Eventually. The money seems to have disappeared so it'll stay cold and drafty (and uncomfortable to the wife unit) for awhile. See where I'm coming from? I'll install a bottle of whiskey (Bulleitt Frontier Whiskey)
and wear an extra sweatshirt. Undoubtedly, I'll suffer.

:rolleyes: Ah, peace and quiet.

Eventually. The money seems to have disappeared so it'll stay cold and drafty (and uncomfortable to the wife unit) for awhile. See where I'm coming from? I'll install a bottle of whiskey (Bulleitt Frontier Whiskey)
and wear an extra sweatshirt. Undoubtedly, I'll suffer.

:rolleyes: Ah, peace and quiet.

Tell me about it, mine sucked in a bunch of cash real fast but once you work in it and have space all around you to work you just smile:grinpimp:

Do the T5 Highbay lights, you will love them, I got six of them for about 180$ a light with bulbs and my shop is like an operating room.
These are all night shots.
IMG_0741.jpg
IMG_0749.jpg

Last edited:
not a "man" cave, but here's my somewhat packed workshop. hope to get a 20x8 shed next year to move a lot of the stuff into so i have more work room

Nice iron sporty; owned several and worked on a lot more back in the day.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom