Leaf spring shackles/bushes. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey mud. I did a search through but there didn't seem to be much that came up directly related to specific brands/hardness.
My spring bushes are due for a change and I'm just wondering if anyone has any preference for brands/hardness? Nolathane makes a particular type over here that are considered to be hard bushes. I also know of other enthusiasts from various car scenes preferring to run rubber or softer bushes on anything directly attached to chassis and harder bushes on springs, has anyone delved that far into it to compare the ride?
I'm running on 3" Snake Racing shackles with greaseable pins and disconnected swaybars.
There's also quite a bit of space (around 1-2mm) between the shackle and spring/bush currently on the fronts, I feel like this isn't normal. Can anyone confirm this? And one shackle is slightly angled (bottom out) whilst the other is straight, what could be causing this?

Cheers.

SOR.com had a bushing chart that can help you understand sizes and fitment, but generally in the US, there's 'Toyota OEM rubber' and 'Energy Suspension polyurethane', and then OME's bushings, which are generally used with their kits and shackles. The Poly is harder, but grease resistant and possibly longer lasting. I've used Energy Suspension on many trucks and found them to be properly sized, cheap enough, and not too hard. Not sure if they are available in your country.

Your shackle angle issue sounds like a sagged spring, if the angle you're referring to is along the normal swing axis of the shackle.

Last edited:
I agree with SteveH. I've used just about every bushing due to price and time constraints. I just replaced the Shackles on my 60 with OME and I am pleased with them so far. They work very well if you have the greaseable shackles and pins as they are fluted. The energy solution options have worked as well. I ended up having to source something funky for my FJ40 as I built shackles and they had a smaller ID than stock. Those worked well.

If you have little arc in your springs the shackle will become more vertical and you will have less flex and articulation.

I have been running the OME shackle/bushing combo for a little over a year. No complaints so far. I keep them greased to prevent premature wear and any squeaking noises.

-MJ

I had been using the stock OEM Toyota bushings for many many years. Yes they wear out kinda fast, but they are soft and don't squeak. Back in "the day" there were not such things as greasable shackles. The choices were either harder, longer lasting polyurethane bushings that ended up squeeking like a herd of mice, or OEM rubber bushings. Graphite impregnation was a marketing con. They squeeked too.

Nowadays, with greasable shackles, any of the firmer bushing compounds can be used without fear of your car turning into Mr. Squeeky... Just lube em up!

I personally think OEM rubber bushings are the longest lasting if that's your criteria. They also ride the best, squeek the least and are generally good. Polys come in way more sizes and flavors, and in the end, that wins out. Plus they are cheap.

SteveH mentions the SOR bushing chart which I'm not sure still exists, but I have used piles of those bushings in the mix and match world of Land Cruiser springs, shackles and suspension, and I can highly recommend them.

I also like OME bushings, the inner diameter, pretty much dictates the use of OME shackles, so be aware.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom