LCA Sleeve (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I did my lowers with DOM. Got a 5' stick for $52 shipped from Amazon.

15170665261_f9c0c766e0_h.jpg

15173294622_d5761be5b6_b.jpg

Last night I finished one of the adjustable uppers. Still have on more to go

7SoExoPh.jpg

unQYgm1h.jpg

That adjustment bolt looks a little undersized

It's a 3/4" bolt, so not exactly little.
Oh Ok. I guess the taper makes it look smaller. The Johnny Joint MetalTech uses measured 1" on the threads. I don't know what the strength difference is or if it matters much.

Looks good anyway. I need to practice welding on something besides my exhaust over and over again

Thought I'd give an update....

Finally got a chance this weekend to extend and sleeve the arms. Went with a schedule 160 pipe, bought 5' of it at the scrap yard for $10. Nominal size is 1-1/2" but actual size the OD is 1.90" and the wall thickness is 0.28". Stock arm on top, sleeve on bottom...

DSC_9621.JPG

The stock arm fit inside the new pipe perfectly...

DSC_9620.JPG

The 20 HF shop press is becoming one of my favorite tools. The stock arms were bent a about a 1/4" so I marked where the apex of the bend was, stuck it under the press and straightened it out, worked like a charm...

DSC_9629.JPG

Cleaned up the arms to prep for weld then I cut them in half. I drilled twelve 1/2" rosettes down the length of the pipe and oriented it so they would be on the sides of the arms when completed. The pipe I cut to a length of 2'-1/2" and ended up extending the arms 5/16" over stock.

DSC_9630.JPG

Welded up and painted. Installed them and took it for a test drive. Vibration is completely gone! Not as strong as DOM would be I'm sure but I have a good feeling I will never bend these arms... will probably find out on my next trip to Moab. These arms are so beefy compared to stock, very happy with the results

DSC_9632.JPG

Here is how mine came out. I ended up using 2"x.120 wall dom. My stock ones where 1.73" big. I put a total of 9 welds down each side. Making sure to hit one on each right in the middle where the two stock halves meet. I also ground down the stock welds and notched out the dom so it went all the way to the joint. Then tig welded the dom to the bushing housing also. Takes a little more than 4' of tubing to do it that way, but I think it makes it a little stronger.
uploadfromtaptalk1435641373395.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435641403859.jpg
uploadfromtaptalk1435641425990.jpg

7SoExoPh.jpg

unQYgm1h.jpg

Hey Jose, quick question for you.

A few of us are sleeving our LCA's this week with DOM. I personally am sleeving them again (hopefully this solves the DOM vs schedule 90 debate. We sleeved mine in tight fitting schedule 90 and I bent both of them on a big ledge on our trip earlier this month. Going DOM this time).

Question is on welding with rosetttes or without.

My guess is you wheel a lot like we do. Have you dropped in on your sleeved DOM's with the welded rosettes, and if so, have they staid straight?

We are wondering if plug welding them would really help the strength, or decrease the strength of the metal, so looking for some real world results from someone that has most likely tested the hell out of them.

Anyone else who has sleeved with DOM, using the rosette method, and tested the crap out of them, please feel free to offer your experience too!

Thanks!

Mike

7SoExoPh.jpg

unQYgm1h.jpg

@jcardona1

Where did you get the left-right threaded studs for the upper control arms? Thanks

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom