Lanolin based fluid rust protection video (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Thought y'all might be interested in this video from YouTube. (btw GregB is our resident expert 😉). It's that time of year... already!

Well I dunno about expert @bladedog but I have been using and spraying a variety of products over the years to try and hold the Lords of Rust at bay. This includes a yearly spray of FF on the undercarriage of the BJ74 (buy the 1 gallon tin) with a HVLP spray gun. While I would not call the truck "rust free" it's the next best thing; Considering it has been a daily driver through the winter for a number of years now.

Great campfire conversation, going through the pros and cons, different products, application methods, etc. And folk posting their long term experience on Youtube who live in the rust belt is a real tell: It works!

gb

I will watch that after the SB. I'm definitely interested. I've coated the 60 with a military product from
the US I got on Amazon.ca. It's proven to me by a guy in the 80's forum from Michigan who has been driving his
truck for 8 yrs and provides pictures through out the years and his reapplication of the stuff.
It's called Cosmoline. I sprayed 8-10 cans on the 60. Only time will tell, but it's got a good streaming into
gaps and coats nicely. No pics. sorry. If someone wants to look at a black bottom of a 60 I will take some.

If I had a fresh vehicle that was clean underneath I would look at and perhaps try cosmoline. It sounds like a great product and long history. The biggest negative to FF is its biggest plus: It stays wet. Which attracts dust in the non-washed when driven areas. Which builds up. There are some good videos on Youtube going through pros and cons of a variety of products, from lanolin based, wax based with a solvent carrier, etc.

I have done the inner panels on my BJ74 with wax based and it works well, but does dry out/crack over time. Without looking at my notes, I think it was 10 years between treatments in the rear wheel well inner panels on the BJ74. When I redid it I sprayed a liberal bead of FF, let it creep over a day, sprayed more, let it creep again, then sprayed a bunch of 3M wax based on top. That was a few years back. I'll see how it has held up next time I check the inner panels. In the meantime every fall I continue to spray more FF on the underside.

This year is 20 years of ownership with the BJ74. I should take lead from @bj70_guy 10 years after build thread and do a 20 years after thread.

gb

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom