Land Cruiser ‘Land cruiser trim’ vs 6th gen 4R TRDpro. Which would you pick? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Needing to replace my 100 series. Was set on new LC but looks like new 4Runner trd pro has the mods that I would want (tires, sliders, armor etc) with the same engine and around the same price. This is going to be hard choice.

For me, LC or GX all the way.

The more I look at the new 4rnr the more turned off I am by its loud in your face “look at me” appearance. To my eye the LC looks much more mature when compared to the 4rnr.

I’d personally go aftermarket for armor as the factory stuff is too lite duty for my use.

Edit: grammar.

Needing to replace my 100 series. Was set on new LC but looks like new 4Runner trd pro has the mods that I would want (tires, sliders, armor etc) with the same engine and around the same price. This is going to be hard choice.
I'm in an adjacent boat but trading out my LX570. I'm going to be very interested in the Trailhunter version since I'm more interested in overlanding than the hardcore performance of the TRD Prod version. I'm not going to run the Baja 1000. The ARB shocks are supposedly tuned for heavier loads than the Fox shocks on the TRD Pro. Also, comes with just about everything I'd need to add with the exception of a winch:
  • ARB - Old Man Emu shocks with 1.5" lift in back and 2" lift in front
  • ARB roof rack ( would prefer that it extend the length of the roof but I'm assuming they did that for those folks that want a sunroof and want to stick their heads out. ;))
  • Rock sliders
  • Steel skid plates
  • 33" tires
  • On board air compressor
  • Ventilated/heated seats (not 100% certain on this, based on XPedition Overland's first review)
  • 360 degree camera views (not 100% certain on this, based on XPedition Overland's first review)
  • 4 Aux switches built in for adding whatever you want
  • Rigid fog lights
  • Center light bar. Wish it were Rigid as well but I don't think it is.
  • Raised air intake (aka snorkel, probably not a "real" snorkel and mostly for looks)
  • I think most of the add-ons would be covered by the Toyota warranty as well.
The only thing that I haven't seen on the TH that the Land Cruiser would have (and my LX) that I'd really miss is the "cool box" in the center console. I would have never paid for that originally but I use it way more than I thought I would. Great on road trips as well as to keep water bottles cold on the way to the mountain bike trailhead.

I just hope it drives nice and is as comfortable for my 6'4", 210 pounds of middle-aged joints. It sure looks sweet!

1713320196121.png

Specs - TRD pro and is not a close call. But fit? Hard to know without driving both.

Sounds like tundra and Sequoia will get a trail hunter model for 2026. If they also get the long travel and SDM, I think that might be a very close competitor also.

Yeah the Trailhunter looks great but the TRD Pro has almost zero use for me. Id take a base over rhe TRD. But I would most likely just keep my 200 much longer because I am not really interested in anything without Full Time 4WD.

They are similar enough that it might come down to which one is more aesthetically pleasing to an individual. The Hunter and Pro 4Runner both look real good to me. I’d have to at least sit in these respective models to make a pick. The 250 stands taller so it might have better headroom and visibility.
In any case, in the foreseeable future I plan to keep my 80.

Specs - TRD pro and is not a close call. But fit? Hard to know without driving both.

Sounds like tundra and Sequoia will get a trail hunter model for 2026. If they also get the long travel and SDM, I think that might be a very close competitor also.
Trail hunter sequoia sounds awesome. The price tag I’d imagine to be LX territory.

Suspension Travel brings up a good point. Can’t wait to see articulation test between 4R trd pro and the new LC. Maybe that will help me decide if there is any significant difference

For myself personally, I'd chose the LC250 out of dogma basically, since I own an FJ62. On the real, as much as I offroad, I don't see myself getting into a situation where I'd need the extra percentage of offroad performance the upper trim 4runner would offer.

On the shallow side of things and likely one reason this close split exists is I've always considered the 4Runner to be a less mature vehicle in it's owner group and I like the prestige and circumstance of the Land Cruiser heritage. It's not a super logical conclusion to reach knowing these are the same platform essentially, but not all car choices are.

Last edited:
I’d make a very close comparison between the 4-Runner’s A-pillar angle and sight obstruction vs the LC250.
They might be very similar- or maybe not.
I know for me personally, the standard Tacoma A-pillar is very annoying for me. I’d never buy that particular vehicle because of it.

I am seriously considering a 1958.

I already have a GX460 and would like to have something a little more utilitarian. I never intended to get a GX, but now that I have it, I really want to be it's last owner. Having something more basic that's more fuel effecient would be great as a daily. Then I will probably build it into something that makes any shortcomings of the base 250 series irrelevant.

So I would say the Land Cruiser / Land Cruiser. The car so nice, they named it twice.

For myself personally, I'd chose the LC250 out of dogma basically, since I own an FJ62. On the real, as much as I offroad, I don't see myself getting into a situation where I'd need the extra percentage of offroad performance the upper trip 4runner would offer.

On the shallow side of things and likely one reason this close split exists is I've always considered the 4Runner to be a less mature vehicle in it's owner group and I like the prestige and circumstance of the Land Cruiser heritage. It's not a super logical conclusion to reach knowing these are the same platform essentially, but not all car choices are.
Yeah this feels like a weird take to have given we know it’s just a Prado now?

Yeah this feels like a weird take to have given we know it’s just a Prado now?
I would argue that the delineation between models is blurry than ever with the common TNGFA architecture. The LX600 is a 300 series variation if that's what really meets your needs.

I would argue that the delineation between models is blurry than ever with the common TNGFA architecture. The LX600 is a 300 series variation if that's what really meets your needs.
This is what's kinda confusing to me. In history, the station wagon Cruisers had an engineering target for a 25 year service life for most if not all parts. When everything is on the same architecture, does that bring the 4Runner and the Prado up to that level or bring them down from the LC300/LX600?

This is what's kinda confusing to me. In history, the station wagon Cruisers had an engineering target for a 25 year service life for most if not all parts. When everything is on the same architecture, does that bring the 4Runner and the Prado up to that level or bring them down from the LC300/LX600?
Thr car care guy said the GX550 packaging was better and higher quality than the Sequoia and Tundra. No idea if that's accurate or emotion. I think time will tell how that all plays out but again, I think for folks who aren't offroading every day you will be very happy. I do some level trail 3-4 times a week in my GX460 and other than the KDSS bushings it just takes it like a champ.

Kind of a sad thread. The only reason to get the LC 250 over the 4runner is ...something something feelings... something something maturity level? And I agree with you guys. There isn't really a good objective reason to pony up more for the LC.

Toyota really dicked this one up. Here's to hoping my 2019 200 series lasts a very long time.

I think the current longest lasting Toyota in the available data may be the Sequoia. I've seen it both ways between Sequoia and LC200. When they track the LC200, Sequoia, and Tundra to 250k miles I think they are all nearly identical. Just googling, the Tundra and LC200 have 47.9% of vehicles reaching 250k and Sequoia was 47.1%. Highest was the F350 BTW - and it's certainly not known for reliability, but they are kept on the road a lot of miles.

My guess is that they are all designed with similar expected useful life. The LC300/Tundra/Sequoia models tend to have heavier running gear. I'm not sure that means they last longer - much like an F350 isn't really designed to last longer than an F150 - just built for a different task. Use the F150 to tow 12,000lbs every day - I don't think it'll last very long. I'm not sure the LC250 is built for a different task from the LC300 though, so this is a bit trickier. I think when used how most people in North America use them - the two lifespans are the same. Loaded up with 2500lbs of gear towing a 5k lb trailer across corrugated roads for tens of thousands of miles? Maybe not so much. But that's not something very many people in north america actually do. If I wanted a vehicle to commute up and back on the Prudhoe Bay haul road year round - I'd want the LC300/Sequoia/Tundra. For Moab a few times a year and the rest as a commuter car - I don't think there would be any difference in longevity.

Kind of a sad thread. The only reason to get the LC 250 over the 4runner is ...something something feelings... something something maturity level? And I agree with you guys. There isn't really a good objective reason to pony up more for the LC.

Toyota really dicked this one up. Here's to hoping my 2019 200 series lasts a very long time.
As has been said ad nauseum, as far as we know you can't get the 4runner with full-time 4WD and a locker. It's only one or the other.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom