Lake Michigan Land Cruisers Introductions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My name is Travis and I just moved to Grand Rapids. I got the Land Cruiser bug back in 2009 when I found a project for sale on Craigslist. I'm in sales so wrenching wasn't my forte' but gave it a shot anyhow. Have built three Fj40s since that time with help from various people. I enjoy the constant fiddling of things regarding my Cruiser. My current Fj40 is my keeper and I purchased it from my brother who purchased it from a Toyota dealer in Iowa. When he was transporting the cruiser back from the dealer the hardtop wasn't bolted on and flew off the truck and was badly bent and ruined. That incident made my brother lose interest in the cruiser quickly and it ended up sitting in his barn in pieces. I have more pics on 'my garage' thread if you want to see them.

A quick review of the items I've done to the Cruiser since I've owned it :
2009 purchased FJ40 from my brother. Didn't start so replaced battery, entire cooling system with new radiator, hoses, thermostat and cleaned up interior. Replaced most of the old wiring with new, wired up for stereo system, new fuse block. Also rebuilt factory carb. I believe the starting issue was due to poor wire connections and badly rotted fuse block. Starts and runs great now.
2011 - 2012 drove and wheeled the truck as it sat. Paint was three different shades of blue. I believe factory blue with different color of hardtop sides I sourced from ERICS in Des Moines and also Ford blue tractor paint on the barn doors. Met some really great guys at the Tall Corn Cruisers jamborie as well as MIOBI in Knoxville, IA. Open diffs, bad tires and had more fun wheeling and chatting with the fella's than the built monsters I've owned and taken offroad.
2013 The truck sat inside the family's warehouse for a couple years with a battery tender on it and I'd start and run it every couple of months. I met the woman of my dreams and shared my love of Land Cruisers with her and involved her in some of the restoration and she had noted early in 2013 that she wanted the Cruiser in our wedding photos. I guess that was a good excuse to make her pretty. I asked a friend of mine to take on the paint and body work and he did a really great job on the truck for painting it in his garage. There are a few imperfections but for a good friend doing the body and paint work she came out really great. I also installed new factory steelies, new BFGoodrich A/T KO's, new factory bumper, new swingout rear tire/jerry can bumper, new shocks, new tie rod ends, mirrors and of course all new door seals. I installed a new Trollhole carb and also new slave cylinder. I wasn't planning on spending this kind of money on her this year but am very happy with the results.
Plans for the future not in this order :
1) Replace rear main seal and side cover gaskets
2) Clean and/or replace (if I can find one) vacuum advance diaphram
3) Install a decent head unit and speakers. Its all wired up just have to find time to do it.
4) Replace window regulators (which I have in a box) and seals inside the front doors.
5) I have a driveline noise that I can't figure out. I think its the parking brake but not sure. Have to do some research on this issue.
6) Rebuild the front knuckles
7) Remove and rebuild the front and rear axles as well as powder coat.
8) Clean up engine bay.

That should keep me busy for a while.

I enjoy chatting with other LC fanatics, swap meets, buying/trading parts, light trail riding and get togethers.

I have some great relationships with my fellow Tall Corn Cruiser brothers and have enjoyed some great wheeling adventures with them. Looking forward to building relationships in Michigan as well.

Here's a pic of my rig and you can visit my garage to see my past projects as well.

Go by Hoz or Travis.

Cheers

image-1616965598.jpg

Last edited:
NIce rig. I miss mine-the rust demons got her. If you head to northern mi, shoot me a PM.

Good to see a fellow Michigan Cruiser Owner. I just recently got myself my first Cruiser a 1991 FJ80 that I found as a 1 owner out in Yakama Washington. I had her shipped out here and took delivery on St Patrick ’s Day of last year. Only thing I have done so far is new plugs, wires, cap and rotor and 33 inch tires. Drop me a PM if you want to meet up sometime, I would enjoy meeting some fellow cruiser owners.
-Rob

I will do that. What part ya from?

Married Jan 18, 2014

Here's some pics

image-2236415396.jpg

Travis, welcome to Michigan! Did you survive winter all right? I'm in Spring Lake, which is about 25 minutes west of GR on I-96. Always glad to meet new people who share the same love of Land Cruisers. There are a few of us in west MI, scattered about. If you want to meet up some time, I might even drive my truck down to meet you. It's about time to pull it out of winter storage now that the road salt is washed away.

Todd, glad to hear you'll be moving up to the area, what specific area are you moving to? It's nice to have more LC people in the area.

Brian

Yeah we should all get together one of these days maybe a cruiser brunch somewhere convenient for everyone.

Travis

Ann Arbor area here...

Wave if you see me. Monstalinered 80

FJZ80_liner1_zpscc976b1e.jpg

Looking to move to the GR area this summer.

I've had a couple of cruisers. Down to three now.
Did you end up moving to GR?

Travis

Travis, welcome to Michigan! Did you survive winter all right? I'm in Spring Lake, which is about 25 minutes west of GR on I-96. Always glad to meet new people who share the same love of Land Cruisers. There are a few of us in west MI, scattered about. If you want to meet up some time, I might even drive my truck down to meet you. It's about time to pull it out of winter storage now that the road salt is washed away.

Todd, glad to hear you'll be moving up to the area, what specific area are you moving to? It's nice to have more LC people in the area.

Brian
Join Lake Michigan Land Cruisers on FB. Also would be interested in a meet and greet soon.

Travis

Sweet I'm in Plainfield. Join the Facebook Lake Michigan LC page trying to get everyone rounded up for a meet and greet.

Travis

I'm in Greenville, N.E. of Grand Rapids. It would be cool if we had a meet-up. I can roll down to GR. I'm kind of out of it on the Facebook thing but I'll give it a try

Hey what do you guys think about meeting at Del Shannon Days in Coopersville, MI this weekend. Here's the info www.delahannoncarshow.org. I've never been but should be fun and would be neat to get some Land Cruiser representation there. I'm in for Saturday if anyone wants to join me.

Hoz 616-430-1707

Hey what do you guys think about meeting at Del Shannon Days in Coopersville, MI this weekend. Here's the info www.delahannoncarshow.org. I've never been but should be fun and would be neat to get some Land Cruiser representation there. I'm in for Saturday if anyone wants to join me.

Hoz 616-430-1707

Did you guys end up meeting? I'll be back in MI all this next week if anyone is up for getting together for a meet and greet...I'll arrange it if people are interested.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom