KDSS, how common on which 4Runner models? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Eli

Threads
Is it true that not ALL 4Runner Trail models have KDSS?

What about 2010+ 4Runner Limiteds?

If it's not always installed on Trail and/or Limted, how common is it?

No...it's an option....although I'm not 100% sure about Limiteds

Some dealers do order them on some models, just as some folks really like the ride improvement and oder it on their new trucks.

When I ordered my truck I felt I'd rather use the money towards improved tires and suspension.

KDSS is only an option on trail editions. As for availability, that depends a lot on region. Here in Colorado, more of them have it than don't.

Does anyone here have the KDSS on their truck? If so, how is it?

I have it on my 15 4runner. I would not own a 4runner without it. After test driving a few I said no. Then a few years later I drove a KDSS and thought - okay, I could own one of these. Some people hate it, some love it. I think you really need to test drive one with and one without to make the call. For me the highway handling was so much better that it wasn't a close call. Offroad it works well too, but I think you can do better with good aftermarket suspension if offroad performance is what you're after.

I have Fox 2.5 Factory front coilovers and fox 2.0 long travel rear shocks and about 1" lift front and rear with KDSS. I swapped in GX460 rear air springs for about a year and didn't really like them and went back to coils in the rear. (They're an easy swap with a few custom parts) I may go back to air springs, but not the OEM GX460 ones. With the fox shocks and small lift it's perfect for me as far as being a very good highway cruiser, but also does great at moderate speeds in the desert and crawls around moab pretty well too. It's no FJ40 - but it always amazes me how good it is as multitask vehicle.

I don't totally understand Toyota's models. The trail premium with KDSS is IMO the best of the 4runner models. I'll take a trail with KDSS over a TRD Pro for offroad use any day of the week. It's just better at everything. Why the TRD Pro lacks KDSS I cannot figure out. I really wish you could buy a Limited with KDSS. That is what I would buy. But I suspect the price would eclipse a base model GX460, so maybe that's the problem?

One more thing to keep in mind;

KDSS on a GX460/4runner is identical. The KDSS system on the LC200 is a LOT better. It's a linkage based system that offers about double the travel of the sway bars so the LC200 has quite a bit more flex than the 4runner. If you were comparing the two the LC200 KDSS system is really cool!

Non KISS and ordered ('16) it that way....just one more thing to deal with down the road. First 4runner ('10 Trail) didn't have it

I drive 22,000 miles a year....98%on pavement, and yes, there is improved handling, but I'd rather put the money towards LT tires and lift...which also dramaticly improve handling ( but do decrease mpg's)

Non KISS and ordered ('16) it that way....just one more thing to deal with down the road. First 4runner ('10 Trail) didn't have it

I drive 22,000 miles a year....98%on pavement, and yes, there is improved handling, but I'd rather put the money towards LT tires and lift...which also dramaticly improve handling ( but do decrease mpg's)

What kind of lift are you running on your DD?

I'll be installing the OME BP-51's....probably no later then spring.

I just got a 14 Trail with KDSS. It has the wrong suspension on it now, so I'll let you know when I get it changed out what I think about it. I've experienced KDSS actively in a 200 series, on and offroad, and thought it was pretty cool.

I have KDSS on my GX460 and absolutely love it. If you plan on going long travel there is no point in getting KDSS, but if you just plan on a normal lift, KDSS is the way to go in my opinion.

I changed out the rear coils yesterday, took 25 mins with a friend helping me, so that wasn't bad at all. The KDSS system is so strange, how it has the piston on one side... Now I need to take some corners super hard just to see how it works!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom