Jerry can base dimension? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am in midstream of building a rear bumper with a swing away tire and jerry can/cooler carrier. It will definately carrier a cooler and may never carry a jerry can BUT I want 2 jerry cans to fit just in case. Can someone tell me the base dimensions of one standard size jerry can?

I've done a few,and it's allways better to build with a known unit than to go off a measurement. Some tanks have more of a bead,some are plastic,and different alltogethor. It's nice to have everthing to mock up while fabbing,it will pay off in the end. If you build off measurements you might miss things like rear door hinges:rolleyes: Or build for tanks with no lower bead and purchase tanks with beads,at a 1/4" per bead,aprox. that can ad up to an inch short pretty quick. Not that thats ever happend to me:D
Nice front bumper,by the way!

Sorry about getting chaty but would you mind posting some pics? I'm also looking to build a new bumper and looking for some ideas.:confused:

Thanks fellas.....I'm going to be daring and go with the dimensions, I don't known a jerry can and don't want to buy one "just in case" and I know if it fits 2 jerry cans it will definately fit some sort of cooler.

Sorry about getting chaty but would you mind posting some pics? I'm also looking to build a new bumper and looking for some ideas.:confused:

Certainly, I can post pics but I'm only about half way there, I have the tire part figurerd but not the basket or the locking mechanism. Funny how when you learn to weld your wallet gets even tighter, I don't want to buy any thing that I can find some way to make it....ie, locking mechanism. Very fun!!

Here is what I have so far. The base tube is just tacked in place. I need to come up with something to cover the 1" spindle. For a lock I'm thinking of just making a simple pin that will pass through both tubes to lock the swing away in place. The added benefit of that would be extra stability at the opposite end of the spindle. I also want to add a "stop" so it won't swing all the way around. I'll post up when I finish. I'm open to any "mudtellect" suggestions.

FJ40 Rear Bumper 004.jpg
FJ40 Rear Bumper 004.jpg

I used a 7-1/4"X 14-1/2" ID to build my can racks I have Steel NATO & Plastic Secptor fuel & water cans,
the sceptor fuel cans will swell in the heat thus the extra room,

I used a 7-1/4"X 14-1/2" ID to build my can racks I have Steel NATO & Plastic Secptor fuel & water cans,
the sceptor fuel cans will swell in the heat thus the extra room,

I'm thinking my I.D needs to be at least 15"x15" and then I will shop some coolers to see if a little bigger ID is wise for the cooler.

Here's a link to the can i gave you mesurements from:

Blitz EnviroFlo Plus Gas Can — 5-Gallon Capacity, Metal, Model# 81733 | Gas + Oil Cans | Northern Tool + Equipment

Post pics when you get something together, I'm with can, without bumper / mount for it at this point, still brainstorming.

I have the blitz can setup. Al the warm and cooling periods have ruined my jerry can. the expanding and contracting bent it in and out so much it cracked the metal and is now useless.

I have the blitz can setup. Al the warm and cooling periods have ruined my jerry can. the expanding and contracting bent it in and out so much it cracked the metal and is now useless.

weld it;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom