Is there a direct bolt diesel for my 1996? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Do a quick search for 1hd-t and 1hd-ft.

1HD-FT(E)... ka ching...ka ching...

Sure. In Australia at least, HZJ80 had the n/a 1HZ for the entire duration of 80 series production.
In turbo/higher spec model range,
HDJ80 initially had the 1HD-T and then switched to the multi-valve 1HDT-FT for the last couple of years of production.

96 would have been a 1HD-FT or 1HZ; I'd recommend the former if available...

1hd-t proud owner, you will NEVER regret the SWEEEET power of the diesel!!!!!!!!!!

So how do I buy one? What kind of money? Is the 4bt swap less expensive? Will this whole thing just make me want to rebuild my gaser?

After sitting next to the Dodge pickups in traffic, how do people stand the noise from the 4 or 6bt swaps???

1HD-T or 1HD-FT plus 5 speed manual trans (assuming that's what you want...most do), will cost you about $15k-18K in parts...possibly more for a freshly rebuilt motor. @crushers @george_tlc @Akella all are good places to start for used or rebuilt motors. If you want a brand new 1HZ, @beno can aquire one for you.

sbc swap make a lot more sense for most people, but getting 20+ mpgs on 37's is sweet!!!!!

Depends, are you are a ready to spend 5 grand minimum doing all the work yourself?

5 grand? I am sure you could pick up a donor truck for WAAAAYYYY less than that? Is it the custom drive shafts that drive up the cost?

next year you guys will be able to import full deisel 80's correct? that might be a better option. A turbo 1hz is also sweet!!!

You can import a 90 now, slightly used from the Canadian market....

Costs will vary greatly depending on what you want to swap in. The OP asked about bolt in, which is possible with the toyota deisels, but pretty pricey.

Just about everyone other swap (LS, non toyota diesels etc.) Are going to require some custom fabrication or some very pricey conversion kits.

Things that add up very quickly and need to be accounted for.
  1. What engine do you want, gas/diesel, junkyard/rebuilt/new? Rebuilt or new are not cheap.
  2. How will the engine physically mount in the 80, custom mounts if not going Toyota. Are there any clearance issues that need to be addressed. (Steering box support brace for e.g.)
  3. How will the engine run and integrate with the 80 harnesses?
  4. Will the OEM cooling system be adequate? What will you do for a fan shroud?
  5. How will you adapt the air conditioning compressor or power steering pump to the 80 system.
  6. Do you want to retain cruise control? If so, how will you do that (this is motor specific)
  7. What trans will you use, and how does that mate to the given engine (adapters aren't cheap)
  8. What xfer case are you going to use and how does that mate to the transmission...adapters aren't cheap.
  9. How will you adapt the xfer case linkage, will any sheet metal mods be required.
  10. What is the overall drivetrain length, does it require custom drive shafts and or custom cross member.
  11. If going with an auto trans that is not stock behind the selected motor, how will you tune the auto trans (a controller is about $1000) and will any valve body work need to be done.
  12. If going with an auto behind a diesel, you also need to consider the torque convertor stall and lockup points, very different from a gas motor.
  13. If going with a manual trans, you will need clutch pedal assembly from a euro spec 80, there is another $300
  14. If running a diesel, do you need an intercooler?...they aren't cheap.
  15. Do you need to change out the R&P gears for a lower/higher ratio? (Diesels have a lower RPM range than gas motors, so need higher ratios to prevent getting wound out on the highway). This is applicable if you already have got lower gears (4.56, 4.88 or 5.29 installed)
  16. How much will a custom exhaust system cost once everything else is buttoned up?
  17. Most importantly, who is doing the conversion? On top of parts, figure about 10-15k of labor for a shop to do the swap. If you pan to do it yourself, do you have the tools and space?
It is very common for people to get the cost of a junkyard motor, junkyard trans and an xfer case adapter and think they can do a swap themselves for $4k.

I wouldn't consider doing a swap until after you have factored in all of the above items and then squireled away enough acorns to make it all happen.

Best of luck in your research, it's a fun and rewarding, albeit expensive addiction.

Last edited:
5 grand? I am sure you could pick up a donor truck for WAAAAYYYY less than that? Is it the custom drive shafts that drive up the cost?

well the adapter to fit it to your transfer case is going to cost you nearly a grand by time you pay shipping. you might get lucky and find a chevy truck in the 1500 range with a good engine and transmission but i would rather spend a bit more and buy a known good running setup.

you will need to upgrade the fuel pump to a supra setup, the power steering and AC lines will need to be made, the air intake will need a bit of work and then y our only real option for exhaust is a set of headers and custom work. even if you can do the exhaust yourself you are looking at 500 in parts right there with you welding it up (once again, this is to do it right and not take shortcuts).

the driveshafts will fit just fine if you have a good lift but you might need to notch the pan on the transmission to get it to clear. if you need to take it off then there is no reason not to service it while you are in there so that is another 150 bucks.

if you have a 91 or 92 you are ok with the stock shifter but if coming from anything older you will need to change out to have access to all the gears. not 100% needed but i would do it while i am doing everything else.

the oil and temp sensors are going to need adapters to make them work... stuff starts to add up. anytime you get into a swap it always runs way over the top on the little parts here and there.

Unless you are just doing it to say you did it ( which does have its merits with me!). it seems a little silly to me swap it. I have seen some pretty nice ones here on mud from Canada bring some reasonable prices. I don't have time to do a full on custom cummins swap. I thought if I ever ran across a direct bolt up option I might consider it. I'd honestly rather pay for one already done. There is nothing wrong with mine. But a Toyota diesel would be awsome. I understand they run for absolute ever.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom