Is there a benefit to the OEM cork diff cover seals over RTV? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

caladin

Noob, but trying to learn
SILVER Star
Threads
Website
bz93.com
Trying to get my self stuck in deep enough on a pinion bearing replacement so that I keep going...

I got the diff cover off, it had the oem cork seals.

On the vids i watched they just used RTV, is there a benefit of the cork seals, other than, what for lack of a better term I call, "The Spirit of OEM Oneness"?

I don't have one in my kit, was just planning to stick it on with RTV. Figured it was worth a question.

Thanks,

Cal-

I prefer the OEM cork. I can't tell you how many times I've pulled covers off and put them right back on over the old cork gasket without issue. If you glue it down with FIPG, you will fight to pull it off, then have to clean it off and reapply it to reinstall the cover. Same goes for pan gaskets and side cover gaskets as far as I'm concerned. But, a lot of people like to glue things together.

I'd use FIPG or RTV in a pinch, but prefer to use the cork gasket when I have the ability to.

Last edited:
I prefer the OEM cork. If you glue it down with FIPG, you will fight to pull it off, then have to clean it off and reapply it to reinstall the cover.

This. ^^^ Cork is trail-repair friendly. FIPG is not.

Fwiw, I bought an oem cork one and cleaned up the surfaces of the cover and the housing really well and my tightened every bolt to torque spec and it still leaked. Got some permatex gear oil hardening rtv and made a seal and it hasn't leaked yet.

After rear diff lock install I used a paper gasket and now it leaks :skull:
So have to take apart again :(:bang::( , after 4000 km still at good level (afraid the rear diff would explode if empty)
I will use two paper gaskets or order cork.

file.php

I think I cleaned it well with small dremel and torque to specs,:crybaby:

file.php

file.php

There's a thin paper or fiber gasket that goes between the 3rd member and the axle housing, but I wouldn't use it for the cover. The OEM cork gasket for the cover is much thicker and more forgiving.

After rear diff lock install I used a paper gasket and now it leaks :skull:
So have to take apart again :(:bang::( , after 4000 km still at good level (afraid the rear diff would explode if empty)
I will use two paper gaskets or order cork.

IMO Cork gaskets on rear covers usually leak because :
  • The surfaces are not clean
  • The cover is warped, bent or dented
  • The nuts are over tightened and/or nor tightened in the proper sequence.
Otherwise, cork gaskets should provide years of reliable service.
2x on not using cork between the 3rd member and axle housing.

My 2 cents. The grey sealer is the bomb. I use it alone and have never had a leak. If it cures right you could lose all of the nuts on the cover and it still not leak. Cork has its uses and if your gonna be in and out of the diff a lot then go for it. The enemy of cork is over torque.

Thanks a lot :beer:, I have ordered cork but dont understand the difference (3rd member? or just why are they sold anyway) because they both fit and both have oil behind them?
Because I have two paper gaskets left in stock I thought about using another one to at least fix the drip leak, but now I want it like it should be.

Stock Code 4218136010 ; 4218160060
Gasket - differential case to axle housing forLandcruiser (series 60) HJ60 3.9D diesel 1980->1990

notes: 8/1980-8/1987 · gasket made of cork to fit rear differential cover for smi floating axle
cork:
http://www.euro4x4parts.com/parts/p...erential_case_to_axle_housing_4218335010.html

Here is where is came from, cork is out of stock so I thought paper was just a replacement, they dont mention to not use paper like I did but I could have know it was to thin.

http://wuestentauglich-shop.de/epag...1-bf96-424d-8b40-f8a395735ebf/Products/002080

Last edited:
Got another paper gasket 42181-60060
...so ordered again :(
From another thread:
42181-60060 Paper gasket for diff/housing
42183-35010 Cork Gasket for cover/housing

I believe the paper gasket is used to seal the differential carrier (3rd member) to the housing due to the alignment tolerances needed between the differential carrier and the axles.

Thanks a lot, since I seem the only idiot/fool/wanker to not know this I made a picture of it :smokin:

file.php

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom