Is the glass the same on older doors with vent windows as the glass on non-US doors? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
M trying to find out if the glass is the same in the older US doors with vent windows as it is in the newer (1981) non-US doors that have vent windows?

I am replacing the glass in my '79 with factory tinted glass and I want to do the doors, too but I don't know if the glass is the same size and shape...

tIH

1981 non US vent window???? in 81 they had one piece non vent that I am aware of.

Short answer - NO

Dieseler said:
1981 non US vent window???? in 81 they had one piece non vent that I am aware of.

Vent windows were available throughout the run of the 40 stores. Both my '84 hj47 and my '84 fj40 have factory vent windows on the front doors. I also added them to my '83 US spec fj40; the US doors have all the holes for factory vents both pre and post 1980.

And yes, they are different though easily retro-fitted.

No, these came off an Aussie Troopy, and they have vent windows.

Vent windows were available throughout the run of the 40 stores. Both my '84 hj47 and my '84 fj40 have factory vent windows on the front doors. I also added them to my '83 US spec fj40; the US doors have all the holes for factory vents both pre and post 1980. And yes, they are different though easily retro-fitted.

Do you know where I can get OEM tinted glass for them?

Thanks!

Rick '79 FJ40 said:
Do you know where I can get OEM tinted glass for them?

Thanks!

Used from Oz. Just wrecking Toyota in wingfield, south Australia has them. Otherwise it is flat glass and any good glass shop should be able to make them if you've got the old glass for a template.

They never came out with factory tint, so you will have to get them made. I have a set out at the moment, if you need patons.

Aussie 25 said:
They never came out with factory tint, so you will have to get them made. I have a set out at the moment, if you need patons.

They did in '81, I believe. It is extremely light and you'd be hard-pressed to tell the difference but tinted is listed in the parts fiche.

You are right they do have factory tint. My 1982 master parts catalog lists only one glass but toyodiy listes the tinted one, but it doesnt list a tinted 1\4 glass, interesting.

Actually, there is factory tinted glass for the FJ40... I bought a set from Cruiserparts .net a while back, in original Toyota packaging.

My Auz 82 FJ has a slight factory tint to the vent and main windows. I am in the US and tried to have the pass side window replaced due to some scratches (with the tint can be seen easy) but was told that they cannot make the side door window glass (only windshield and rear glass can be made) due to thickness of glass is not stock any more in the US. can only go thicker, this would be a problem with the window channel.
Good luck

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom