Introductions (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Shamus30 said:
Yeah yeah... I was already doing the math on 35s today.... :hmm: I know me... It will be built much sooner and much bigger than I plan, though I know what I want to use it for and rock crawling isn't it, so an overland rig sets the basic direction I want to go in. (where is that smiley of my money flying out of my wallet into a bonfire?)

Lol!!!
All im sayin....with the 80 series... You CAN DO A LITTLE CRAWLIN and still be set up for expedition wheeling!!

Just... Throwing that out there!! :)
Can't wait to see what you come up with bro!!!
Look forward to wheeling w/ ya!!

Keith

Yeah yeah... I was already doing the math on 35s today.... :hmm: I know me... It will be built much sooner and much bigger than I plan, though I know what I want to use it for and rock crawling isn't it, so an overland rig sets the basic direction I want to go in. (where is that smiley of my money flying out of my wallet into a bonfire?)
Actually 35's are pretty common on 80's set up for overland, it doesn't take that much more modification to do 35's over 33's so why not?

Jack can give you some good advice on castor correction and which springs to use.

I did a Rubicon trip with a group of 80's and they nailed it. One rig busted a tail light, that was the extent of the carnage. None of them were very highly modified, just lifted and a little armor, stuff you would do for overland anyway.

^^^because 35's weigh more, cost more, are less fuel efficient and require a bit more lift height. And they certainly, especially in our area, require the need for re-gear.

I'll tell ya...I was one that thought the same thing until one of our Utah trips a few years ago when we did Hole in the Rock Trail for the first time and TrickyT (Tom Ferrin) was along in his 80 on 33's. He spanked it!

There was never a situation, including a couple class 3.5 & 4 obstacles on that trail, where he needed 35's. And that was without a front locker too! He never had to take a strap!

On an 80 unless you're going to do Dusy/Rubicon/Fordyce type of trails 33's will get you home! And for those types of trails the argument could certainly be made to go to 37's :D

I've never had an 80, but several of the trucks they're based upon (FJ40). I may be out of my frame of reference if the 80 is that much different but I kind of doubt that.

I've used only 31's and 33's on both Rubicon and Fordyce, end to end usually towing a heep or two through to boot. And with minimal body damage (actually, I think I did bink up a rocker last time on Fordyce with 33s). 35 are also almost always fatter, which to me is a definite minus when in the snow, of course the opposite is true of sand. You will see plenty of both around here but the snow that worries me is on the highways. Mud running on 35's will pack your wheel well much faster too. Besides, it's hard enough to bury a 31. Also, the larger the tire the more stress on the drivetrain and much more likely to cause failure (spindle, birf, axle, 3rd, driveshaft,......).

If you plan on having a roof camper, 35's become even less desirable due to all the added roll factors.

And if expedition is your thing, you MUST have 2 spare tires in Nevada (especially if you plan on going it alone). Relying on Fix a flat and plugs WILL leave you stranded eventually. Puncture 1 sidewall and your trip forward becomes a carefully planned evac back to Winnemucca or wherever the nearest Les Schwab/Walmart is.

35's sure do look cool, but I wouldn't put them on an expedition rig for "performance".

LOL... see Shane and you thought that I was crazy for waiting for a 60 series. Then I see you in the grocery store only to find out that you dumped the Discovery for an 80 series!!! Welcome to the club and we will definitely have to "go the long way home" from the gym some days once I find "my" 60.

Hey what was the name of the guy in Mound House that you were telling me about that did the custom axles for you? I had a friend asking me if I knew of any good fab shops for axles and I remembered he was in MH but couldn't remember his name.

Is this for club members only? I live half way between Reno and L.V. No club here any more. I did belong to Silver State fwd when it was a Toyota only club in Reno in the 70"s.

Is this for club members only? I live half way between Reno and L.V. No club here any more. I did belong to Silver State fwd when it was a Toyota only club in Reno in the 70"s.
Your welcome to join the discussion and the club if you want. It might be tough for you to make the meetings though:lol:

What do you drive?

I drive a 1972 fj40. It was rusted out so I turned it into a fj45. It has a 327v8,350 auto trans, power stearing lockers in both ends and 33 x 12.50 BFG's in the front TSL's in the back. It is my daily driver/ campimg rig. I will be in Deer Valley for the FJ 45 run in September.

I drive a 1972 fj40. It was rusted out so I turned it into a fj45. It has a 327v8,350 auto trans, power stearing lockers in both ends and 33 x 12.50 BFG's in the front TSL's in the back. It is my daily driver/ campimg rig. I will be in Deer Valley for the FJ 45 run in September.
You might check on that Deer Valley has been closed by the NFS.

I had heard that they were going to close the valley. I have been going there since the 60's. Another good trail lost! I was in Reno Sunday7/22/12 and saw to really nice FJ40's I was on my way to the airport so I couldn't try to stop and talk. Thanks for letting me know about Deer Valley. It looks like the run will be moved hopefully to a place as nice.

Lonewalker said:
I had heard that they were going to close the valley. I have been going there since the 60's. Another good trail lost! I was in Reno Sunday7/22/12 and saw to really nice FJ40's I was on my way to the airport so I couldn't try to stop and talk. Thanks for letting me know about Deer Valley. It looks like the run will be moved hopefully to a place as nice.

What'd the 40's look like?
That might have been us headin back from fordyce.
Btw... The new location for the 45 run is sour grass trail NEAR the entrance of deer valley on hwy 4 side.
Georg posted last week in the "trails, event and expeditions" section here on mud.

Thanks for the information on the 45 run, I will look it up. There was a brown 40 that turned off of wells towards down town and a tan 40 down on south Virgina near Meadow wood mall. Both were clean nice looking rigs. Maybe I will be able to make a meeting to meet some of you. If you come down Tonopah\ Round Mountain way I would be glad to show you some trails, Ghost camps and Ghost town.
Thanke again
Stephen

Could you please help me out. I can't seem to find the thread on the fj45 run on Sour grass trail and I can't find Sour grass trail on the maps I have. If I get sent back to Africa I will fly out of Reno and would like to take a day to check out the trail soon.
Thanks

Go to trails and events section and look for. "2012 fj45 run location"
The thread is there.

Thank you.
With your help I found the thread. I hope to see you there. I drive a yellow FJ 45 flatbed. I tryed to send a picture but don't know how.
Thanks again

Introducing ol Yeller

Hello everybody, my name is Richard.
I am fresh from San Francisco, moved to Zephyr Cove NV.
I've had my 1986 FJ60 for about 20 years. It was originally sold in New York, where I bought it from the original owner. It came with a thick folder of receipts for everything (I mean everything) that had ever been done to this truck.
A few years after buying it, I moved to Colorado. Stayed there for 10 wonderful years. Lots of snowboarding, camping, mountain biking, etc. Along the way I got promoted at work. For the next 8 years I drove company cars while my Cruiser just sat. Sad, I know.
I also moved to San Jose, got married, moved to San Francisco, and then to Nevada.

Most of the heavy work on my rig was done at Mudrak's, including:
Full OME mediums suspension (Shocks, springs, etc)
FJ62 frame sourced, sandblasted, galvanized, and powdercoated yellow
Front axle rebuilt (Aisin hubs)
ARB front bumper
Custom trailer hitch & wiring harness
Undercoating
Australian sliding rear windows
New head unit on stereo
Hella Rallye 4000s
Security system
Auxiliary back-up lights
Aussie Inclinometer/clock
BFG's have changed from the 27s in the photos to 31s.

I'm looking forward to meeting you all at your next meeting in October. Some pics:

1318702754204.jpg

TLC after pix 005.jpg

TLC after pix 003.jpg

Very, very nice.

And welcome.

Jack

RAD!!!
Love the wagons!!
My first rig was a 62.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom