Introducing my 98 4Runner DD. (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Well it's been awhile since I actually posted any pictures, so I will just leave this here.

20141229_105739.jpg

Rear shocks should be here tomorrow.

@BMThiker I thank/blame you for this... :p

I would love to put those on our 3rd Gen too. I think Dugan put stock FJC struts on ours. Not sure what we have on the rear. Ride height is good, but it's stiffer than I like for a DD.

Well they look really cool anyway, can't wait to see you get it all together

Rears came yesterday while I was out of the office, they were waiting for me when I got here this morning.

20141231_080441.jpg

And for those interested, here is the part number for these newly released 3rd gen specific 2.0 rears.

20141231_080658.jpg

I would love to put those on our 3rd Gen too. I think Dugan put stock FJC struts on ours. Not sure what we have on the rear. Ride height is good, but it's stiffer than I like for a DD.

I like the stance of the 4Runner, do you have any idea about how much lift it actually has? And what size tires are you guys running on it?

That's gonna make a nice setup Jynx, can't wait to hear your reviews.

Thanks to @Southeast Overland I got my set of OME 906 rear springs today.

20150108_202630.jpg

Last piece of the suspension puzzle. Now to start putting the spray on the rear shock bolts, sway bar end links, etc on the rearend and get a free weekend to put it all together.

Thanks to @Southeast Overland I got my set of OME 906 rear springs today.

View attachment 1014910

Last piece of the suspension puzzle. Now to start putting the spray on the rear shock bolts, sway bar end links, etc on the rearend and get a free weekend to put it all together.

Looking forward to seeing these installed! Awesome looking 4runner Matt.

~Jeff

Thanks Jeff. @Southeast Overland do you know if Steve runs the shin guards out back on the shop truck?

@BMThiker do you run the shin guards on your rear shocks? Just wondering if I should pick up some to protect the shafts.

Anyone else running them? Thoughts on their need.

And by shin guards I mean those rock guards that bolt to the axle mount to protect the shafts from rocks.

I made some skids to protect the bottom of my shocks, but nothing else

I made some skids to protect the bottom of my shocks, but nothing else

Is the body up or down? On the ones I gots the shafts are down, so more exposed to things thrown by the front tires. You got me thinking, couldn't be too hard to make something to serve the purpose.... :hmm:

My billies are shaft down as well, I'd post pics of what I did but I don't have anyway to do it at the moment lol.

No worries. You noticed any issues with damage to the shafts from rocks or other things?

I have the plastic boots over the shafts and they have took a beating, but the shafts are fine.

I've never run armor on the rear shocks (Icons, shaft down). The bolt heads take a beating, but shin guards wouldn't help that.

That's more what I built to protect, just a skid for the lower shock eye and bolt :)

Thanks Jeff. @Southeast Overland do you know if Steve runs the shin guards out back on the shop truck?

@BMThiker do you run the shin guards on your rear shocks? Just wondering if I should pick up some to protect the shafts.

Anyone else running them? Thoughts on their need.

And by shin guards I mean those rock guards that bolt to the axle mount to protect the shafts from rocks.

I (Steve) do run the Icon Shin Guards on the shop FJ.

Wow, long time no update, but nothing of note has happened in the last 6 months other than lots of miles on the road. With all the barn work, packing, moving, cleaning.... you get the idea, I haven't been able to do much other than change the oil, put gas in and drive it. Well in a couple weeks that should all be done and hopefully I can get that ICON setup installed and some of the other goodies sorted. On Saturday I am having a set of KO2's installed. Sticking with the 265/75R16s and I stayed with the BFG cause I do a lot of road miles and the current set has done me well. If I get 70k out of the next set I will be pleased as punch, I could probably have gotten 80k if I had kept them rotated better, but I should get a couple of decent spares out of the ones on the rear.

Pulled the 4Runner in the shop today to do regular oil change and drain and refill the diffs in preparation for the trip to SCC the end of this week. I'd like to get the t-case drained one afternoon this week too.

I noticed that I think I may have a rear axle seal leaking a little, so looks like I will need to schedule getting into that when we get back.

I am also contemplating a shallow drawer build for the rear to carry my tools and stuff, but keep most of the height. The OME springs need a little weight on them from what I read. When I finally get those in then I can sort that out.

The KO2'S have about 10k on them now and are wearing great.
20150613_121851.jpg

Life gets in the way sometimes... We moved out of our house in June 2015, moved into a little apartment and started building a house. House is nearing completion, weather is warming up and I am looking forward to getting a few projects going and the 4Runner is high on the list.

It's not looking like I am going to get much wrench time in before GSMTR to get the 80 ready, so we will be rolling in the 4Runner more than likely. So the I have about a month to get the truck in shape for some easy day rides up at good ole Windrock.

Plan right now is to get the suspension on and get that dialed in. Change fluids, flush the radiator again. Been fighting some sludge in the system for a while now, so just keep flushing and refilling and hoping to eventually get all the remains out. I am also thinking about picking up a set of sliders from John over at White Knuckle and pull the running boards so I can have some trail cred, since the odds of them deflecting more than rocks thrown up by the tires will be slim. Other than that I still have some wiring that I would like to get sorted to add a few bells and whistles, but mostly I am just looking forward to being in a position to do a little piddling again.

@ugamurph we need to block out that 4 or 5 hours to knock out this lift in a couple weeks. I'll hollar at you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom