97 4runner- Hydrolocked & blown head gasket - what to do? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

Unfortunately the wife's runner blew its head gasket yesterday and has a hydrolocked engine now. We purchased it about 3 months ago from a guy who seemed like he took really good care of it, regular maintenance, owned it forever, is in excellent condition.... but i guess that's the risk you take when buying a used vehicle with 280K. s*** happens.

The shop recommended I replace the engine since opening it up could open up a can of worms. I tend to agree. If the cost of getting a low mile engine swapped is even in the ballpark of repairs i would rather do the engine swap.

Other option is selling as is. I dont really have to time to part it out. I estimate being able to sell it for 2500 - 3500 in my area (northwest Washington). It is in really nice condition inside and out.

here are my questions;
1. does anyone know a good place to source a low mile engine in the northwest? I know i can call junkyards (which i have without luck). I remember like 15 - 20 years ago a buddy bought one at the port in tacoma wa - he made it seem like they had a bunch there. I am assuming that's not an option anymore unless your getting one shipped there.

2. does 25 hour of labor for an engine swap seem accurate? that tends to be the average from all the places I've searched. most non dealer mechanics around my area are charging $150 an hour

3. anything else I'm not thinking of?

Vehicle details:
1997 4runner limited
280k miles
4 wheel drive
needs the "VIN N 5th digit 5vzfe" engine

IMG_4096.jpg

There are looking up the wrong labor op/time. 25 hours would be for a bare short block including transferring all the components , including cylinder heads. A long block (used motor) should be around 12 hours plus or minus for transferring parts.

Thanks for the replies. That is good to know and is more in line with the cost i would be willing to pay for an engine swap.

Most used engines will need a timing belt job, so factor that in. You could do that yourself after the engine is installed and running, and control costs that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom