RESOLVED!! Intalling OEM re-built Carb for first time on desmogged '78 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So I am prepping to intall my original OEM carb re-built by Jim C into my desmogged '78 as per Jim C's de-smogged diagram. This thread is pic heavy. There appears to be three vac ports on passenger side of carb. I am certain one of these is for the vac advance connection from the dizzy. One of the others I need to connect to the Lower brown BVSV connection but which one?? Also which one should connect to the vac advance on the dizzy?? I assume the third one on the passenger side should be capped off?

Also the larger downfacing port on the front of the carb-what connects there or should it be capped off for Jim's de-smogg setup? The front three tubes, are they just tubes or do they go into front of carb?? Are these front three tubes just for routing vac lines? The '80 Aisan non-USA carb on my rig now has the stud bolt that goes upward thru the top of the air cleaner housing connection with the wing nut on top. As my original pictured one does not have this can I just unscrew the one of the '80 Carb and install it on the one pictured? Never done this so I appreciate all the input.
Aisan1.jpg
Aisan2.jpg
Aisan3.jpg
Aisan4.jpg
Aisan5.jpg

In the last pic there, connect that right to the dizzy advance. I dont know about the others.

Here ya go Tom, this has all the '78 vac connections, and easy to follow.
full

My bad my non-smog carb has the advance there, smogged must be quite different.

Three more pics........ That front down facing port has a red hose connected.
Aisan6.jpg
Aisan7.jpg
Aisan8.jpg
Aisan6.jpg
Aisan7.jpg
Aisan8.jpg
Aisan6.jpg
Aisan7.jpg
Aisan8.jpg

Being I have no EGR, should I just block off that port?

Is TP port the throttle position port which will have the blue VTV in between this port and the TP diaphragm on the other side of the carb??

This is the diagra
78Desmogdiagram.jpg
m I am using-compliments of Jim C (FJ40Jim)

This is the de-smog diagram from Jim C that I am using.

How about that downward facing port that has the orange/red hose connected to it??

Tom, I just took some pics of the vacuum lines and carb connections, etc. My 2F is plumbed in accordance with the diagrams above, I recommend you follow the diagrams and use my pics as reference, also make one connection at a time and high lite the diagram as you complete each connection.

P.S. Stay off the beer:beer: it's a bowl of spaghetti!

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

full

Mike thanks for all the pics. I see that yours is fully smogged, what should I do with that downward facing port in my first picture that has the orange/red hose connected to it?? I am fullowing Jim C's de-smogged diagram above and no mention of it there.

Last edited:
ANother question; what to do with my intake manifold port pictured below that is connected to my blue VTV and then the TP bell on the driver side of carb?? With my OEM carb and Jim's '78 desmog diagram it appears TP port will pull vac for this connection and EGR port will pull vac for brown BVSV inner connection. Should I just block this port off and what is the best way to block off<
IntakeManPort.jpg

Also on my blue VTV; what side blue or black should be closest to the TP bell connection on driver side of carb?? A buddies rig; M5 Driver has the black facing TP carb mount side and I have had others say blue should face TP carb mount side.

Last edited:
Four things to figure out then install.

Tom,
Based on our previous conversations I was led to believe that you were interested in re-smogging your cruiser, unfortunately I won't be much help in the de-smog arena.

Here's a great thread about desmogging a 2F '77 Fj40 Federal 2F desmog

No, never been smogged and I was missing many of the de-smog parts. Have all for de-smog, maybe Danny(pngunme) will know about the connections I have q's about or maybe Jim C will see this thread.

Per the diagram, leave choke breaker connected to manifold vacuum.
The VTV is supposed to allow easy flow toward CB, no flow toward manifold. It can be deleted if desired, early & non-US engines don't use it.

TP port on carb gets capped.

ADV port connects to dissy advancer.

EGR port goes to BVSV to enable canister purge after engine warms up.

And the bottom hose from HIC connects to the smaller (front) port on the side of the insulator baseplate. The pictured insulator is 81-87, so not equipped w/ the appropriate port. Consider teeing into the hose going to the single fitting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom