Independent air / coil suspension for offroad tandem expedition trailer? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi guys, it's been a while.

I am researching a new project - to build a dual purpose tandem off-road expedition trailer.

I am trying to figure out which suspension to buy?.

Saw this on a caravan online:-

MortysVan4.jpg

MortysVan3.jpg

and found this kit / system on ebay.

$(KGrHqQOKo8E0U64M8QhBN(FsKiRKw~~_12.JPG

at this link:-

[URL]http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/OFF-ROAD-CAMPER-TRAILER-CARAVAN-INDEPENDENT-SUSPENSION-/170622875206?pt=AU_product_Trailer_Parts&hash=item27b9ea7646
[/URL]
So I am looking to do a dual purpose tandem hydraulic tipping trailer along these lines.

TIPPING%20TRAILER%2003_zpsw7inosin.jpg

Planning to make a slide in camper unit with roof top tent, for weekend expeditions / camping, so that the trailer can be used for gathering firewood in the forest, or with the expedition camper unit - be rtaken out camping for holidays weekends.

However,
I am not real keen on the leaf springs and full length square axles due to lack of ground clearance offroad.

This "cruisemaster" is one product available down under that MIGHT be suitable maybe.

Independent-Suspension-2.jpg

Cruisemaster%20Air%20Suspenstion%205.jpg

or another option is this one:-

2T%20%26%202_5T%20Simplicity%20Suspension.jpg

I've built a few trailers before today - but never an off road 'expedition' nor a 'hydraulic tipper' much less one that will do both!.

VMS2_zpsunv6sgrk.jpg

I've been building a few of these VMS signage trailers of late but they just have leaf springs & square full length axles, so this independent off road suspension is all new to me - and I am very happy to hear any and all advice about good designs or good manufacturers to deal with.

Basically the reason I would like to get away from leaf springs and full length axles is that with our mostly sandy terrain, most off road tracks here have deep wheel ruts in soft sand, with a large sandy hump of sand in the middle of the track and normal trailers with solid square axles - tend to "plow" the center hump as you tow them offroad, which wants to bend the full length axles backwards and upwards destroying tow in and camber etc (not to mention dragging the towing vehicle to a stop).

Using an "off road trailer" with tall deck height, is a bear, when loading the hardwood because you have to lift every piece high up off the ground to get them into the trailer. Similarly when camping - you don't want to fall 4 or more feet to the ground out of the camper in the middle of the night when your getting out to answer the call of nature etc. If you happen to be loading "rings" of hardwood firewood, then these are even heavier, to lift any distance off the ground... the lower the trailer is to the ground the better, some rings it's better to roll them up a ramp into the trailer so again low height is a decided bonus.

Then to get back OUT of these spots, it's better if the trailer is "taller" and has greater ground clearance.

So a trailer that has air operated independent suspension, can have greater ground clearance in the middle for off road towing, but isn't always ideal when you get to where your going for camping or fire wood gathering - in which case you can air it down once there.

My plan with "air independent suspension" is to have the best of both worlds - the ability to air the trailer up for towing / access into and out of remote spots, but the ability to air it down when actually camping and loading firewood... air it up to tow it home then 'tip' the load off once at home.

Thus my interest in this "new to me" air independent suspension caper - that I have never encountered before.

It will be a GVM (Gross Vehicle Mass) of 3000kilos (~6600 lbs) because one of the vehicles that will tow it is:-

Kelvins%20Ute_zpsdm9unjkq.jpg

Which can only tow 3000 kilo max. (My own F 250 will pull 4250kilo with no trouble - so that's the 'recovery truck' if anything goes wrong).

Anyone with experience in this area of off road / expedition trailer construction, care to advise what brand of suspension to buy and who to purchase it from?

Many thanks in advance guys.

Hey mate, are you in Oz? I've been researching in prep for my build and I'm planning on using the sugarglider system from Vic. Seems to get the best feedback, was stock on pioneers for a while. They also seem to be willing to customize to meet your needs.

Other alternatives are the cruise master from VCA, and the gaffa from martins trailers. There is one more, but the shocks mount inside the springs = bad idea, but can't remember the name.

I wouldn't put ironman on anything I to rely on. Too many bad experiences. Apparently there are some short stroke fox shocks if you have the $.

Lots of options with airbags. I've been looking at the slambags lately, but still have research to do!

Just remember to put bump stops and limit straps to protect your shocks. Especially if you are going to run at both ends of your travel range.

Hi Mate - yes located in West Oz.

I've dealt a lot with Martins Trailer Parts - they are close bye to me even, but I haven't been able to find out much about their independent suspensions online - like the design and specs to give to the trailer plans guy, and what they cost etc - nor any experience from anyone who's used them.

Martins would probably give me trade price even, seeing all the gear I have bought from them for the VMS trailers of late, which would be really handy also.

But what I am after is someone who's used independent coil / air bag suspensions & done their research and has some experience - to give me advice as to what to buy and from whom - that works well in our conditions.

Price is a consideration - but truthfully since I am building it, and there's no labor costs as such, then I'd sooner put some of the savings into buying the best possible running gear underneath.

Because of the VMS trailers I've been building (2 complete and 3 more on the go now) I have ended up with 5 of these full length tube Jeep Axles "left over" that I guess with some effort I could possibly "re-purpose" 2 of them to use on this trailer build and save ~ $500.

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/Jeep Axle_zpsbua6w8df.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/Jeep Axle 1_zpsxifc7dua.jpg

http://i9.photobucket.com/albums/a70/troutylow/Jeep Hub_zpsbyisvphc.jpg

BUT - while they are rated to carry 1500 kilo each (~3300 pounds), they weren't supplied with any brakes, so couldn't pass ADR and DOT for licensing here on the VMS trailers, on anything but a 750 kilo (~1650 pounds) single axle un-braked trailer...

As they are Jeep Wrangler stud pattern (106mm / 4 inch center hub hole and 5 x 127mm / 5 inch Jeep stud spacing) I POSSIBLY could add fish plates and source some kind of backing plates / drums or disc rotors hubs and calipers to add maybe electric brakes to them or something - out of the US maybe... to use on a 3 tonne tandem tipper - but honestly, it's so much screwing around and extra expense... that I would probably be better selling these 5 axles to guys with Jeep Wranglers and single axle campers/expedition trailers - who can bolt them up to their springs & have a trailer that uses the same stud pattern as their tow vehicle, and thus have inter-changeable spare wheels between their tow vehicle and trailer, and just use those $ towards the suspension that I really want!

Jeeps are getting more popular down under of late, but finding axles with Jeep stud pattern hubs to use the same wheels between tow vehicle and trailer is a tough ask down-under, so presumably it shouldn't be too hard to find guys among the Jeep off-roading crowd who'd like a Jeep Axle going cheap. Otherwise they are likely to end up at the scrap metal yard.

That's my thinking at the moment (Unless comments here convince me otherwise).

I'm going to see if I can find any links for the sugar glider system you speak of & check those out!.

For the trailer build - I have my workshop all set up with 3 phase power lights and concrete floor benches and even a 3 phase Transmig welder with traveler wire feeder on 8 meter cable, drill press, compressor, steel benches with engineering vices etc and pretty much all the tools I should need to fab this trailer up.

ShedPic21024x765_zpsd3e3dbef.jpg

ShedPic4_zps34875531.jpg

Even have a 3 phase combination wood work machine as well,

P10101591024x768_zps4716e0e1.jpg

- for when it comes time to make the camper/expedition unit cabinetry, I used to have my own cabinet, joinery, furniture & timber mill, kiln etc factory for 20 years... so the skills & equipment to put together something 'nice' is all here.

In an ideal world, I'm looking for a "partner in crime/side kick"... to assist/offside me, & we build 2 of the things, one each, as long as the "partner in crime" funds his own materials and components. I am now pretty much semi retired, and have plenty of time to devote to this build...BUT I am getting on and find it difficult to do some of the manual labor tasks I USED to do, such as turning a big trailer like this over on my own for e.g.

So If I can find me 'a partner in crime' who's willing to put in some hours - then this build would happen a lot quicker I reckon, as 2 guys often out out the workload of 3, whereas one on his own, puts out the work output of half a man. The synergy of 2 guys working together makes a lot of sense (and its a tad safer also).

Someone who's deaf as a post might work... coz it's been said of me before today that I was accidentally vaccinated at birth with a gramophone needle and haven't shut up much since! (Talk the leg off an iron table I can). ;o)

Anywho... I need to get my plans drawn so i can order the steel - and to do that, I need to decide on a suspensions setup / supplier and get the specs to give to the trailer plans man before i can start!.

Probably do a build thread maybe also - give people something to watch and get some good suggestions & ideas / input along the way!.

This who suspension and axles thing has been running me round in circles now for weeks...

Originally I was going to use 2 Jeep Axles...but its been 3 -4 weeks now and the US Trailer parts guy here in W.A. who i dropped one jeep axle off to - so he could try and figure a brakes solution hasn't been able to find time to look closely at it and work out the bearings sizes and try to find rotors / hubs etc to fit, so I am now thinking to go independent suspension and be done with it and let the Jeep guys get some use out of these 5 axles while I get on with starting the build!.

I hate wasting time 'waiting' - I get impatient to get cracking, so its time to find a suspension - give the details to the plans guy and get cracking ordering steel and doing some more welding!.

So here I am looking for advice about suspensions!

Have at it. Anyone in Perth WA wants to build their own trailer, but doesn't have the space, time or tools & equipment etc - now's a good time to hit me up for the "volunteer position" of side kick / partner in crime / coz I am currently 'hiring'!

I'm keen to see how you go mate!

I'm in Perth SOR but don't have the resources for something like this at the moment. Will def be unique when finished.

No sweat, I know what it's like. Resources are already stretched thin here as well.
I am going to have a go first off at a canopy nbuild for the back of the triton ute tray first.
While I am doing that I will sort out what trailer plan and suspension, I will use for the trailer build after that - so plenty of time to get your ducks in a row if you remain keen!.

Super old post, but anyone find a good option for a coil suspension setup on a trailer? Not finding much in the US.

Super old post, but anyone find a good option for a coil suspension setup on a trailer? Not finding much in the US.
found an outift selling them. Priced at $5k, IMO too much

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom