impact sockets vs regular sockets (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I need to buy a set of bigger sockets 19, 21, 22, 24, 27, etc... and I thought about buying impacts.

I've been wondering if impact sockets should ONLY be used for their intended special application of impact torquing.

Is the material of the impact socket less brittle but more malleable ?

In other words, if I use the impact socket for regular bolts on a breaker bar, is it going to deform or damage the socket in any way ?

Thanks.

Buy the impacts and use them with your breaker bar. No worries. The only limiting feature I can think of would be impact socket wall thickness making engaging a fastener tight to a corner a hassle.

Like posted the Impacts are the way to go, however if using OEM wheels. Some have tighter/skinner holes and the impacts wont fit in and you would have to use a 6 point std deep socket.

Unless you have a big impact wrench just get regular sockets. My 500 ft/lb impact wrench just gathers dust because 9/10 times it won't do the job. I would trade my 1/2 inch impact set for a 1/2 inch 6 point regular socket set any day.

Impact sockets are slightly softer than regular hard chrome sockets. This is to protect the impact wrench square drive mandrel. You can cheat in a pinch, as Ali showed me, by using a short impact extension with the hard chrome/standard sockets. Yes 6pt on impact.

Unless you have a big impact wrench just get regular sockets. My 500 ft/lb impact wrench just gathers dust because 9/10 times it won't do the job. I would trade my 1/2 inch impact set for a 1/2 inch 6 point regular socket set any day.

This may seem like a good idea until the impact gun shatters the socket and blows sharp metal chunks into your face. Seen it happen.

There are a few times when an impact socket won't fit, such as the 32mm nut on the t-case output. Otherwise I always use them with my gun.

There are those times when you have to use a Std 6 pt socket. I have used a quick wrap of Duct tape around the socket. This helps contain the shrapnel if it should shatter.
Not saying this has to be the way but in a pinch you have to do what you have to do.

Impact sockets are slightly softer than regular hard chrome sockets. This is to protect the impact wrench square drive mandrel. You can cheat in a pinch, as Ali showed me, by using a short impact extension with the hard chrome/standard sockets. Yes 6pt on impact.

Correct, chrome sockets are slightly harder, but it's the chrome that causes the majority of the anvil wear. For home/occasional use it's probably not a big deal, in everyday use anvils get eaten pretty quickly.

This may seem like a good idea until the impact gun shatters the socket and blows sharp metal chunks into your face. Seen it happen. ...

I'm not going to call total BS, but close.:hillbilly: In my experience have heard this tons of times and classify it as an old [STRIKE]wife[/STRIKE] mechanic tail. No matter how the load is applied, there is some risk of a socket failing, but have never seen/heard of a documented case of one failing with enough force to cause serious injury.

... My 500 ft/lb impact wrench just gathers dust because 9/10 times it won't do the job. ...

This one I have to call BS.:hillbilly: If your talking in context of this forum, Cruiser work, I can only think of a few times when I was denied with a good 1/2 gun. In fact most of my Cruiser work is done with a 3/8" gun. Ether your "500 ft/lb impact" is wimpy or your being denied working on heavier equipment?:hillbilly:

What brand/model 1/2" impact are you using?

I've got the bigger Husky's at Home Depot........69.95 for 11 sockets.

i have several impacts,and sad to say my 20year old alltrade has never let me down.iv'e rebuilt my snapon 2 times,craftsman 2 times and is broke agian.bought the old alltrade for 4.99 at picknsave.whats funny is the houseing is interchangeable with the $$$$ snapon.6pt will usually do the trick w/out impact.rember to allways use antiseize.sorry for the ramble buy bolth.high qualty thin wall.impact could probly get buy with harbor if budget wont allow high quality.

if you go to sears and buy regular sockets use them cheaper and thinner but still guaranteed so no biggie if you break them you always get a new one

:popcorn:I purchased Jet sockets then later upgraded to Mac sockets, much smaller and fit into tight areas.

Rob

Agreed, not all impact sockets are alike. Some brands of sockets have thinner walls than others, Snapon, Mac, Matco, I/R might fit into a tighter spot than the S&K, Sunnexx, gray pneumatic, harbor frieght, Northern Tool, etc.

I have used a few chrome sockets for items when I was in a pinch. I have noticed that for some reason the chrome socket was NOT able to remove a fastener but a impact socket did.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom