Icon shocks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would contact ICON right away and let them make a determination.

Icon Vehicle Dynamics
7929 Lincoln Avenue
Riverside, CA 92504
Phone: +1 (951) 689-ICON [4266]
Fax: +1 (951) 689-1016

Does it smell like oil?

I would contact ICON right away and let them make a determination.

Yes, had forwarded the online feedback form

icon.jpg

Does it smell like oil?

Yes, it sure smell and feel like oil.

IconLeakCloseUp4.jpg

Last edited:
Similar to Catz,in your second picture there is a small oil stain on the box..??nothing like Catz but seeing as the issue was raised i thought I would point it out. I find it a little disconcerting that every single picture posted so far of these shocks there has been an issue with packaging of them...In Kennyao's first post the top punctured the box and threaded the nut (from memory), now Catz'z leaks and a slight leak on kennyao's rears....

I know this stuff is minor but for the most expensive shock on the market it is noteworthy...

I have to get these shipped to Australia so I think my concerns are valid.

Oh and Kennyao did the shock tops puncture the box on the rears?

Last edited:
Similar to Catz,in your second picture there is a small oil stain on the box..??nothing like Catz but seeing as the issue was raised i thought I would point it out. I find it a little disconcerting that every single picture posted so far of these shocks there has been an issue with packaging of them...In Kennyao's first post the top punctured the box and threaded the nut (from memory), now Catz'z leaks and a slight leak on kennyao's rears....

I know this stuff is minor but for the most expensive shock on the market it is noteworthy...

I have to get these shipped to Australia so I think my concerns are valid.

Oh and Kennyao did the shock tops puncture the box on the rears?

Yes there is a small oil stain on the box, but I could not find any oily spots at all.... all was completely dry. and no punctures to the box on the rear or the fronts for me.

My rear icons came with Low nitrogen levels in them. Are they slacking or what?

Just looked back and the issue with the box puncture was perrobravo not kennyao...

I don't want info to be misleading or flaming of the product so I thought I better clarify...

I managed to find the leak after taking a closer look

IconLeakCloseUp3.jpg

IconLeakCloseUp1.jpg

IconLeakCloseUp2.jpg

Sorry catz, I'm not super familiar with what I'm looking at there. Is it a crack? Missing section of the ring? Does it look like something is broken?

Cheers, and sorry for the trouble.

Phat-

Sorry catz, I'm not super familiar with what I'm looking at there. Is it a crack? Missing section of the ring? Does it look like something is broken?

Cheers, and sorry for the trouble.

Phat-

I really don't know either, my first time having an up close view and notice that all 4 shocks has the same groove/opening/missing section. But only one has visible oil leak although the box showed both side had stain.

Maybe Kennyao can verify he had that same groove/opening/missing section

Call Brad Myers @ ICON. If there is an issue, he'll see to it that it's resolved.

951-689-ICON (4266)

Call Brad Myers @ ICON. If there is an issue, he'll see to it that it's resolved.

951-689-ICON (4266)

Yes, Brad replied:

Although it differs from mine, here's what Brad suggested for the new owners to look at...

"Clean off the oil that is present very clean and then rotate the black manifold around the body. This will be tight and take some effort to rotate. Then let the shock sit and see if any additional oil leaks out. If nothing comes out then it may just be residual assembly oil stuck in the edges of the manifold cavity. This is something we check and clean but sometimes it leaks out past the initial QC."

When we first started laying out the 100 series shock we talked to a few people that either had clearance or damage problems with the reservoir mounted on the lower front frame or preferred the upper position for reservoir mounting. I also prefer keeping the reservoir up and out of the way whenever possible.

That being said it is a tight fit wherever you locate it and the variables of tire and rim size further complicate things. We include with the mounting bracket metric bolts for the existing hole on the passenger’s side and self-threading bolts as well for the driver’s side and so that the position can be changed if desired. The problem with the existing threaded hole is that it could be closer to the A-arm for better tire clearance but with the self-threading bolts you can optimize the location if need be. Hopefully the location that perrobravo is running works out well also. With certain combinations it may be necessary to adjust your steering stops regardless of reservoir position.

As for the issue that catz is having we have been in contact with him and it will of course be taken care of.

Everyone’s feedback is very much appreciated. I look forward to getting more info as people are getting more miles under them.

Thanks
Dylan

Received and installed Icon 2.5 Remote Reservoir (non CDC) rears. Here are a few pics and observations. Am yet to thoroughly test drive, but a lap around the neighborhood felt smooth as glass!

The box arrived in good shape (as expected given I'm maybe 100 miles from Icon), but with one of the threaded shock towers poking through the side. Same thing happened when I received the front shocks a few weeks ago. Some careful threading of the nut was all that was required to correct whatever limited thread damage may have occurred.

1onarrival.jpg

Attention shipping guy at Icon: Put something on that shock tower to keep it in the box. Seems like cheap insurance.

2inbox.jpg

Money shot

3thegoods.jpg

Didn't measure, but the Icons are obviously longer than the OME's they're replacing.

4rearlength.jpg

Ran into some trouble with the lower shock mounts. It seems somehow the outermost edge of the mount on my truck was a hair larger than rest of the mount, maybe from the bolt clamping the shock in place? With the rubber bushing of the OME shocks, this wasn't apparent, but with the tight tolerance of the Icons, it took a bit of "work" to get the hiem spacers Icon provided and the shock itself onto the lower shock mount. "Work" in this case meant some WD-40, some gentle Dremel work and some banging with a hammer.

Outer edge of my shock mount before: 0.765
5trouble.jpg

Icon shock: 0.750
6tightspecs.jpg

Drilled the frame using the suggested bit size for the reservoir mount, threaded in the self-tapping bolt provided, and I was in business! Drilling would have been easier if I didn't have sliders in the way, but compared to the fronts, mounting the reservoirs was a breeze.

7alldone.jpg

Looking at this last pic, I'm realizing I need to do something about that surface rust, but that's a project for another day.

I really don't know either, my first time having an up close view and notice that all 4 shocks has the same groove/opening/missing section. But only one has visible oil leak although the box showed both side had stain.

Maybe Kennyao can verify he had that same groove/opening/missing section
Mine defiantly had the same opening that your talking about.... It's only a snap ring that holds the manifold in place.

perrobravo, the remote hose location looks vulnerable. Can you mount the remotes to the rear frame crossmember?

perrobravo, the remote hose location looks vulnerable. Can you mount the remotes to the rear frame crossmember?

It does look vulnerable. That's the location recommended by Icon's instructions, so I went with it. I'll roll around under there later and see if I can get to the crossmember or maybe find some other spot.

Moved the reservoirs to the crossmember as @spressomon suggested. Much better.

Driver side was pretty simple. Twisted the shock to get a bit more hose and mounted the reservoir to the back of the crossmember using hose clamps from the local hardware store.

rearreservoirdriver.jpg

Passenger side reservoir is in front of the crossmember which allowed the hose to wrap up and over the muffler hanger.

rearreservoirpassenger.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom