Hurricane Advice (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Good luck and stay safe!!

hey guys,
just an update 11pm.
i think were in the eye of the storm because the winds have died down a lot, so far the only damage sustained is one half blown out window, one leaky window, my cable ripped off the building and shot across the street and hit a car, i have to go see if any damage was done, the LX is sitting across the street like nothing ever happened.
it seems all the flooding is in Manhattan right now and its pretty dry where i am except in the evacuation zone a block away.
dont think i will venture out tonight though, i imagine its not over yet. i will wait for the morning to give a full report.
thanks again for caring guys i appreciate all the advice.

Post pics of Bk and the Land Cruiser :D Good luck waiting out the storm

everything for me went great including the LX for the last 2 days. i have been running around helping friends that were displaced or affected by the hurricane outside my neighborhood and checking on the buildings that i am associated with also.
as the dust settles i consider ourselves so lucky that we escaped the tragedy that your probably seeing on the TV ( i still don't have cable so i don't know what your seeing). the typical irony is that while its back to business for millions of NYR's there are a few hundred thousand just blocks away in need of help, electricity, food, water, etc.. i'm a little surprised how mayor Mike is handling it , almost as if he is acting like those people in the evacuation zones don't deserve help because they decided to stay... i haven't seen the Red Cross , FEMA, National Guard, or any volunteer groups in the neighborhoods hit the hardest , you see mostly tourist types with cameras from other neighborhoods taking pictures and not helping anyone... its surreal and weird at the same time. i put the truck in the garage last night because it went through a half a tank just driving for a few hours locally, there is some report of going around that we are running out of gas but i havent seen any of the gas stations show any signs of it at least where i'm at . i took the sedan back out since it gets a little better gas milieage for now.
im on standby to go get a friend of a friend in the rockaways that lost his house and neighbor when the surge hit, we were going to go last night but the guy wanted to guard what was left of his place from apparent looters running in the neighborhood.
i will have the truck out for that one he is about 17 miles south of me across a bridge.

so far my friends have lost:
1 5 year old mercedes SUV- flooded the parking lot he had it in the city
1 2009 Jeep- lost in the house that was also lost in Montauk on the beach
1 house rock aways along with neighbor, i haven't heard the full details yet
many many friends with out electricity and water or cell phone service in the city and south brooklyn.
a lot of communication has been through facebook as they find places to recharge their phones they put up status reports we can see.
i should have pics to post as soon as i get my cable reconnected Friday.
sorry about the ramble guys i feel like i am on an emotional roller coaster here for now.

Good to hear you and the 80 came through in fine shape. Hit the gas station when you can:p

Things certainly are a mess. I hope your recovery goes as fast as possible in getting the basics of life back on track for you and your fellow NYCers.:frown::eek::steer:

Glad you made it through OK! I always figured that a "weak" hurricane or even tropical storm would be devestating to the NY area. The infrastucture just isn't built for it. As far as your Mayor... IMO, if you decide to ride out a storm in an Exacuation zone you shouldn't EXPECT help. Especially right away.

Even though the "stations running out of gas" is probably a rumor, I would keep your tanks as full as possible.

Yeah keep us posted hope everyone is fine......

i had that same argument , the only problem is its great to make bold statements on the internet watching a TV, when your sitting here in the street and seeing the devastation right in front of your eyes and the pain in there eyes , its a little different..
that and our evacuation zones are 60ft from us not miles away so you can literally see the people suffering across the street.
things got a lot better today but if the mayor lets that marathon run on Saturday i think there will be a riot.
going out at 1am tonight to see if i can get gas with out waiting for 2 hours in line. wish me luck!

Glad you made it through OK! I always figured that a "weak" hurricane or even tropical storm would be devestating to the NY area. The infrastucture just isn't built for it. As far as your Mayor... IMO, if you decide to ride out a storm in an Exacuation zone you shouldn't EXPECT help. Especially right away.

Even though the "stations running out of gas" is probably a rumor, I would keep your tanks as full as possible.

Hey Ray,

An old post-hurricane tip from Florida. Get or make a siphon. Use it. Boats have lots a useful fuel.

Also, helping others will reward you.

Good luck

I don't know about this.

There was a "gas shortage" in Phoenix many years ago. Accident south of phx broke a pipeline that supplied something like 40% of the fuel in phoenix.

Funny thing about people having brand loyalty in gasoline - it turned out that 80% of the gasoline sold in maricopa county came from 2 pipelines to 1 distribution center. The other 20% was trucked in. Difference between brands at that distribution center? The bucket of additives added to the delivery truck before filling the tanks.

As soon as that pipeline was broken - less than an hour - every tanker truck in the state was rolled to pick up gas south of phoenix and deliver it in phoenix. Replacing half of the gas shortage.

So technically, Phoenix was short 20% of it's usual supply.

But everybody heard about the gas shortage, so everybody filled up whenever they could.

Me? I was the rube who figured out that his jetta could make it from Provo to Phoenix stopping only once in Flagstaff, and i arrived in Phoenix about 4 hours after the "Shortage" started, visiting a friend, with a quarter of a tank on arrival.

Said friend was working at a Mobil station at the time.

He said he heard a lot of incredibly stupid s*** during those few days while the pipeline was being repaired.

Like a guy who walked in bragging to his friend on the phone that he'd had his two tanks no less than 75% full the WHOLE TIME, who'd waited in line, idling, for 2 hours, who then asked to pre-pay $10 worth of gas.

Mass hysteria caused that shortage. Not the pipeline break.

I don't know about this.

There was a "gas shortage" in Phoenix many years ago. Accident south of phx broke a pipeline that supplied something like 40% of the fuel in phoenix.

Funny thing about people having brand loyalty in gasoline - it turned out that 80% of the gasoline sold in maricopa county came from 2 pipelines to 1 distribution center. The other 20% was trucked in. Difference between brands at that distribution center? The bucket of additives added to the delivery truck before filling the tanks.

As soon as that pipeline was broken - less than an hour - every tanker truck in the state was rolled to pick up gas south of phoenix and deliver it in phoenix. Replacing half of the gas shortage.

So technically, Phoenix was short 20% of it's usual supply.

But everybody heard about the gas shortage, so everybody filled up whenever they could.

Me? I was the rube who figured out that his jetta could make it from Provo to Phoenix stopping only once in Flagstaff, and i arrived in Phoenix about 4 hours after the "Shortage" started, visiting a friend, with a quarter of a tank on arrival.

Said friend was working at a Mobil station at the time.

He said he heard a lot of incredibly stupid s*** during those few days while the pipeline was being repaired.

Like a guy who walked in bragging to his friend on the phone that he'd had his two tanks no less than 75% full the WHOLE TIME, who'd waited in line, idling, for 2 hours, who then asked to pre-pay $10 worth of gas.

Mass hysteria caused that shortage. Not the pipeline break.

Your story may be true, but I sure as heck am not going to be the guy who doesn't fill up because I'm convinced its just hysteria and find out later that there really is a short supply of fuel, and I can't get any.

Seeing through media bullspit is one thing, but trying to call bluffs may not always pay off.

Your story may be true, but I sure as heck am not going to be the guy who doesn't fill up because I'm convinced its just hysteria and find out later that there really is a short supply of fuel, and I can't get any.

Seeing through media bullspit is one thing, but trying to call bluffs may not always pay off.

Granted, when i was stuck in fountain hills with less than an 8th of a tank and needing to drive clear over to Goodyear, I waited in line for an hour at a gas station.

So yeah, fill it up, but you can figure out how many miles you're going to drive and how soon another fill will be necessary. Just like normal.

I'm just saying that people who burn a gallon of gas idling in line to buy 4 gallons of gas are morons.

Hey FYI we're going on our 3rd week of 5hour gas lines and gas rationing here in Brooklyn . I have been driving to nj to fill up in the middle of the night every week to avoid the lines. $25 dollars in tolls for each car..

Last edited:
Hey Ray,

Sorry to hear about your Sandy experience.... I just got power back Sat(10th) morning.

Venture out this way, Uniondale, for shorter gas lines. Exit 19N or 20S off the Southern State are good locations.

GL
Stu

Hey Ray,

Sorry to hear about your Sandy experience.... I just got power back Sat(10th) morning.

Venture out this way, Uniondale, for shorter gas lines. Exit 19N or 20S off the Southern State are good locations.

GL
Stu

I went to Bayonne and drove right up , no lines, no plate checking, everyone was nice. It's a battle ground in Brooklyn the media is not showing. Thanks for y our offer though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom