How will my HJ60 handle a harsh winter? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

While I no longer drive my truck in the winter (it's a 12v. with 2H) I found that the best strategy in really cold weather was to take the battery out overnight and keep it in the house. That made all the difference when starting.

Also sounds like your injectors could use a service, judging by your account of the smoky starts even in warmer weather.

While I no longer drive my truck in the winter (it's a 12v. with 2H) I found that the best strategy in really cold weather was to take the battery out overnight and keep it in the house. That made all the difference when starting.

Also sounds like your injectors could use a service, judging by your account of the smoky starts even in warmer weather.

I think he said in an earlier post he had the injectors serviced. The smoke could be caused by low compression in one or more cylinders, which a compression test would confirm.

It sounds like you're looking for the simple, quick improvement, so here's what I suggest:

IME a magnetic heater will make enough of a difference, especially if you get a 300W heater and plug it in for 3+ hours. Very easy to install on the oil pan.

change to 0W40 synthetic oil

A trickle charger on the batteries will keep them charged up and is a lot easier than removing the batteries to take them indoors.

Hold your wilson switch for at least 30 sec and keep holding it for 10-15 sec after it starts. use the throttle lock to keep it running and help warm up quicker.

I have done all of the above on an HJ60 and it started reasonably well in temps below -20, but you can always expect some smoke. That's your diesel salute to the neighbours! :cheers:

You should have no problems starting if you've done pistons/rings, injectors and glow plugs. Use the winter synthetic oil and it will crank over much easier. Glow for longer than you are doing. If average temp is only around freezing (i.e. not a harsh winter) with occasional drop to -20*C the truck should start :meh:.

I installed an Espar coolant heater (diesel). It's programmable up to 3 days, at the time you want. Or go fire up the heater yourself and decide for how long you want it (up to 120min). I made a bracket that bolts on existing holes in the body and mounted the Espar on silicon rubber to lesser vibrations.

It never been fitted to a fuel line and sucks the fuel from a container. But you could finish up the work properly by merging fuel lines with the valve of your choice.

Sitting at -20 to -40 for 2 months and it starts like in summer. Plus you lower wear on internal parts as you warm up everything prior to cold starts. Good for anyone with a freshly rebuilt engine. Total cost around a thousand but worth it since that big 'ol 4x4 is no good for rescue if won't start..

Here's some pictures from hoses going around the cover, bracket, exhaust pipe location and in-cab control.

Also ordered aftermarket glowplugs. Italians. 12V. REALLY hot as tested before, comparing with oem's.

1400448409673.jpg

1400448429239.jpg

1400448456838.jpg

1400448470223.jpg

1400448488111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom