How good is a 3rd Gen 4Runner offroad? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well, I just noticed recently the 4Runner was in my price range (much to my surprise!). I'd love to get my hands on a V6 manual (but auto is far more common, so I may just go with that).
And before you all say it, no the 80 isn't really an option as it's far more expensive over here.

However, I can't seem to find much info on how it performs off-road. I'm kinda concerned by the IFS (and I am not going for a SFA swap), but most of all I can't find any info on the rear diff ... LSD? factory locker? Aftermarket lockers?
Don't care much for lifts and big tires, 31" and 2" (susp. lift, no body lift) is the biggest I'll want to go.

How does it perform off-road compared to a WJ Grand Cherokee (with Quadra Drive) or DiscoveryII? No need to mention that unlike the aforementioned vehicles, it will not break down on its way to the trail. I also know it's 95% driver and 5% truck ... so I better make that 5% count! :D

The 3rd gen 4Runner just doesn't seem to be the vehicle of choice for off-roaders, I seldom see any out there in the mud or rocks ...

How does it compare on the trails to a Tacoma Crew Cab?

Last edited:
3rd Gen 4runners blow offroad! You don't want one. If you see one for cheap, especially a 5sp with that gimmick the 'locker' don't even get involved, just give me the info and I'll take care of it for you.

:flipoff2:

I've used my '01 for offroad search and rescue tasks in the mountains of Virginia, West Virginia, Maryland and Pennsylvania with zero problems.

My last rescue was an evac of an injured hiker out of a caynon in Shenandoah National Park. My '01 and another truck with teammates and an EMT zig zagged down an old, rarely used trail to the stream where is woman broke her ankle. Packaged her up, reversed course and brought her entire hiking party out with us + one Golden Retriever.

Is a 3rd Gen 4Runner a capable offroad vehicle . . . definately.

here is a link with a brief history of 4runners
http://www.toyotaoffroad.com/Articles/History/History_4Runner.htm
I sure like my 96. It's not a classic like the LC's but it is not supposed to be... it's based on the offroad capable trucks and designed to be more like a car with it's comforts.
My 96 is my daily driver and what we load up for the weekends and holidays now. I like having the a/c when it's hot in the summer and I can take 4 people, a canoe and everyones gear plus the dog. The 2.7 is decent on fuel as that keeps going up and has way more ground clearance than most SUV's now. Everything is still tight in mine which is Toyota quality. I have a rear locking electric diff which makes it fairly capable in slippery or deep stuff if needed. The back seats fold down flat so there is plenty of cargo room and we have even slept in it a few times.
If I need to haul really dirty stuff or bigger furniture I tow it in a utility trailer.
If I had to own only 1 vehicle right now it would be a 4runner. my 2 cents

daughterofromer likes her 99
Chinammons Gulch Nov 2006 008.jpg
Chinammons Gulch Nov 2006 060.jpg

3rd gens are excellent off-road. Have wheeled my hard, 20 or so trips over the last couple of years. With the ARB locker in the rear it's awesome. Also its a good size, narrow compared to some others, and definitely smaller than newer 4-Runners. With 2" to 3" of lift you can run 33 inch tires.
Runner.jpg
big-dogs 5.jpg
24262837507_0_BG (3).jpg

I think they are pretty good offroad. If you really want one, make me an offer on mine. It is a 5speed.

3rd Gen 4runners blow offroad! You don't want one. If you see one for cheap, especially a 5sp with that gimmick the 'locker' don't even get involved, just give me the info and I'll take care of it for you.

:flipoff2:

So you want me to send you pictures once I've bought it? :D

dragr1, you have 4.88s in that? I guess at 65mph the engine is running 25,800-25,900 rpm ... bit more? Kinda scary for a DD ...

I notice people have added e-lockers or ARB lockers ... did it ever come stock with an OEM locker?

dragr1, you have 4.88s in that? I guess at 65mph the engine is running 25,800-25,900 rpm ... bit more? Kinda scary for a DD ...

I notice people have added e-lockers or ARB lockers ... did it ever come stock with an OEM locker?

My daughters has the stock electric locker.

Yes, some came stock with e-lockers. It turns about 3000rpm at 70mph-remember this is a 24 valve V6 and not an "F" engine. I actually only turn about 150rpm more than stock.

See my for sale thread:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/showthread.php?t=148398

Yes I was thrilled when I took mine on a test drive and found the OEM rear diff lock push button on the dash. Tis a shame they aren't more common!

Also wanted to add to ZORRO's original questions.... I am running 32 inch tires on mine without any lift. 235 85R16's 32 X 9.3 inches or close to that.. Michelin LTX M/S E rated (10 ply truck tire) tall and skinny, not aggressive but quiet and long lasting with low rolling resistance.
Romer what size rubber on that 99? any lift? Clean looking 4runner!
VA Runner.... are those 33"s on your's? It looks nice as well! What kind of roof rack? P/N?

I've got a 2001 LTD and have taken it on some pretty rough trails. Engage
the center locker and it grips. Since it's my daily driver and is totally stock
I save the tough stuff for my heavely modified Tacoma or 60 series.

Well, I just noticed recently the 4Runner was in my price range (much to my surprise!). I'd love to get my hands on a V6 manual (but auto is far more common, so I may just go with that).
And before you all say it, no the 80 isn't really an option as it's far more expensive over here.

However, I can't seem to find much info on how it performs off-road. I'm kinda concerned by the IFS (and I am not going for a SFA swap), but most of all I can't find any info on the rear diff ... LSD? factory locker? Aftermarket lockers?
Don't care much for lifts and big tires, 31" and 2" (susp. lift, no body lift) is the biggest I'll want to go.

How does it perform off-road compared to a WJ Grand Cherokee (with Quadra Drive) or DiscoveryII? No need to mention that unlike the aforementioned vehicles, it will not break down on its way to the trail. I also know it's 95% driver and 5% truck ... so I better make that 5% count! :D

The 3rd gen 4Runner just doesn't seem to be the vehicle of choice for off-roaders, I seldom see any out there in the mud or rocks ...

How does it compare on the trails to a Tacoma Crew Cab?

I think that the 3rd Gen 4Runner is the best rig out of all that you've listed.

Taco has rear leaf springs (but is otherwise identical suspension and drivetrain wise).
Vs rear coil sprung suspension in the 3rd Gen 4runners.

The Automatic in the 4Runner is THE SAME auto as in the later 80 series. And since it's behind a motor that makes less low end torque than the 1FZ-FE, it should last LONGER. Not to mention the various crawler options. Cheaper parts. Etc.

No matter what, a WJ Grand Cherokee is still a Jeep.

DiscoII's have Lucas electronics....

I think that the main reason the 3rd gen runners aren't used as much by offroaders is because they are simply overlooked in favor of 80's and Taco's.

Personally, I'd rather have a 3rd Gen 4Runner over most other rigs out there.
INCLUDING 80 series and 100 series 'Cruisers!

Owning a '95 FZJ80 and a '98 4Runner, I prefer the 80 series all around.

The 4Runner does well, but a 4Runner isn't a Land Cruiser. A 3rd gen with the rear diff lock does remarkably well offroad and gets 20 MPG, which beats the 13-14 mpg seen in the 80 series. I'm disappointed in some of the cheap interior components of the 4Runner (power window switches, leather seat upholstery) and the switch to ball bearings in the rear outer axle bearings from earlier 4Runner roller bearings - mine failed. Overall, the drivetrain is solid, but Toyota cuts costs here and there and it shows.

Steve

Save the money and go with the 80 series. Your worried about the IFS and you should be. Never again will I buy any truck with IFS unless I have plans to SAS it.

Save the money and go with the 80 series. Your worried about the IFS and you should be. Never again will I buy any truck with IFS unless I have plans to SAS it.

I think you missed that he's planning 95% onroad 5% offroad. IFS will suit his needs just fine. Why 'should' he be worried about the IFS? It's built quite well on the 3rd gen.

Z:
3rd gen is (obviously) extremely reliable. Enough room in the back for a 6' person to sleep (with rear seats out), rated to tow 5k, excellent onroad manners, decent gas mileage. I had mine offroad in stock form most of the time and never had a problem. Now added 2.5" up front and 4" in back, some 33's and its even more capable. It isn't a rock crawler, but that doesn't seem to be what you're looking for. Don't know if it's un-PC, but www.yotatech.com is where the most 3rd gen people are. Tons of e-locker info there, as well as wheeling info.

Just two weeks ago I went with a bunch of cruisers up to Sedona. Ran Greasy Spoon and Broken Arrow with no lockers, no issues, and never even dragged the undercarriage. These are both rated D. I was quite impressed by the 3rd gen, and evidently so where some of the LC guys!

Lot of truck for the buck.

I just sold my ZJ 5.9L Limited Jeep last week. A couple of days ago, I picked this up:

IMG_1084-1.jpg

2002 Sport Edition. I was going to go with a 99 Highlander with e-locker, but the dealership was somewhat sketchy. Plus, the 02 is a one-owner with lower miles. I had a 98 before, and loved it. The 3rd gens makes for a nice daily driver with great off-road capabilites and plenty of aftermarket products available. If I hadn't wrecked the 98, I would still be driving it.

The Jeep I had did have some nice features (and for a 98, it was really nicely equipped--auto-dim mirrors, auto-climate control, steering wheel radio controls, etc.), but the fit and finish was not there. Plus the reliability always had me worried. I'm just glad to be back in a Toyota.

p nut - nice 4-Runner. I like the color. Good move dumping the Jeep. Welcome back to Toyota.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom