Hood paint suggestions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 80 has pretty good looking paint except for the hood, where it’s all scratched up.
I’m considering painting over the black with a rattle can. Questions being, a good idea or not, and if so glossy, matte or flat?
No concerns here about this 80 being a show car-it is not.

IMG_0422.jpeg

Hard to tell from the pic but some of those scratches will probably buff out. If you’re set on painting the hood you’ll need to get the clear coat off. When I did mine I used 800-1000 grit and wet sanded it by hand but my clear coat was peeling off. For the paint I used John Deere blitz black implement paint and it has worked pretty well. It’s is a matte finish and it cures pretty hard. You can buy it in spray cans. The hood was the hardest part of the whole truck for me to paint. Getting good even coverage took me some time. If you can do it off the truck it will be easier. Good luck with it. Pic below is from right after I painted it six years ago.

IMG_5561.jpeg

My 80 has pretty good looking paint except for the hood, where it’s all scratched up.
I’m considering painting over the black with a rattle can. Questions being, a good idea or not, and if so glossy, matte or flat?
No concerns here about this 80 being a show car-it is not.

Ive been down this path a few times. If the rest of the paint looks good, painting the hood with a rattle can will look terrible. If you have it done right, it will look much better than the rest, especially the fenders, and there won't be any good place to "stop". If its not a show queen, why are you worried about it to begin with?

You should cut, buff, polish, wax, etc... dont paint. It will look much better and will match what's on the rest of the truck.

Also, factory 202 Black has no clear coat.

I'd just wait it out and Paint the Whole Thing in Factory Color.
Paid $500 to have my Hood Repainted and I could not be Happier.

Pic 1.jpeg

Pic 2.jpg

Pic 3.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom