Hood Louvers? - Retro FZJ80 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

treerootCO

Where are my keys?!
Threads
Website
home.comcast.net
Because someone had to do it. :grinpimp: It just seemed natural to punch some louvers in a perfectly good hood. 1964 style with seven as the one piece hoods had nine ;)
DSCF6276.jpg
DSCF6283.jpg

Last edited:
Lookin' better every day:D

Bastard;)

Do you have a shot from above?
Did you keep the hood liner? If so, how'd you trim/edge it?

When you can't choose between form and function, choose both. :)
DSCF6308.jpg
DSCF6284.jpg
DSCF6321.jpg

Last edited:
TREEROOT are those Calvin Klein sheets sewn into curtains!?!?
And those are the Hunchinson wheels aren't they?

And temp differences with the louvers???

How do those "go on"? You cut and bend? or cut a huge piece and weld on the slots and grind the weld?

wow, that is the most beautiful 80 i've seen in a long time!
Slee should be using that as a showcase poster truck

The louvers fit between one of the recesses of the hood bracing. I decided against modifying those because they do add structural integrity in a front end collision. I have some edging I'll add to the hood insulation, just haven't got it in yet.
DSCF6335.jpg
DSCF6329.jpg
DSCF6325.jpg

Last edited:
man that thing is purdy! You aint going to want to get it dirty at this pace.

So, do you work at a fab/body shop or is this all personal garage work?

schwing!

nice details, what will you edge them with?

Man, that is so fricken cool! (ha,ha). Can you share where you went to get that done, $$$, and any other considerations such as where it will drip with rains (looks like its aft of the coil so no problems there?) I really really really like the form and the function here. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

Lookin' better every day:D

Bastard;)

Do you have a shot from above?
Did you keep the hood liner? If so, how'd you trim/edge it?

I kept the OE hood insulation, just cut out the area directly underneath the louvers. I'll add some edging to clean up the cut area. If snow and water become an issue the next mod will be a simple flap to direct water to the fender.

TREEROOT are those Calvin Klein sheets sewn into curtains!?!?
And those are the Hunchinson wheels aren't they?

And temp differences with the louvers???

The curtains are next ;) Yes these are the Hutchinson rims. The louvers are functional. I read all the threads on cooling and the placement was not by accident. Romer's yarn thread proved this is an area of low pressure and will help to extract the heat trapped underneath the hood. If time permits, the best test would be to tape off the louvers and take temp readings.

How do those "go on"? You cut and bend? or cut a huge piece and weld on the slots and grind the weld?

This project took approximately fifty phone calls. I found a guy who does hood louvers with a punch that came highly recommended. Only issue was that a typical punch is only good for about a 3" louver. Looking for the same style as an FJ40/45 the networking lead me to the knowledge that a Pullmax machine is the only way. I found a guy who used to own one, called the guy he sold it to, and on and on. Short story long, I found the current owner of a Pullmax up in Longmont and a true artist that had the skills needed.

man that thing is purdy! You aint going to want to get it dirty at this pace.

So, do you work at a fab/body shop or is this all personal garage work?

I work in the dirt unless Christo lets me in when it's raining outside:hillbilly:

schwing!

nice details, what will you edge them with?

Fender welting looking stuff. The same edging bikers put on motorcycle windscreens.

Man, that is so fricken cool! (ha,ha). Can you share where you went to get that done, $$$, and any other considerations such as where it will drip with rains (looks like its aft of the coil so no problems there?) I really really really like the form and the function here. :cheers::cheers::cheers:

I'll ask if he wants to be known and post up. Price may change as this was the first. A typical louver is about $1.60 if you can source a die big enough. Pullmax work is by the hour. The ABS and cruise control are directly beneath the louvers so I may add something to direct the water if needed.

These shots are long before paint. I'm not sure why but I don't have any pics of the backside after paint.
DSCF5931.jpg
DSCF5942.jpg
DSCF5938.jpg

Very cool, very very cool, if he is interested I would definitely do this. Thanks for the info! :cheers:

man that looks sweat, makes me want to do it, also that grille turmed out amazing, I love it:cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom