Heritage Parts Program (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

jclark

GOLD Star
Threads
I did not see any postings related to this but stumbled across this article from last year. Has anyone submitted parts requests for their particular LCs?

Maybe this is a thread to start a list of parts we’d like to see reproduced.

A thread about this was started 2 years ago. But stuff is impossible to find here, so I don’t blame you for starting a new thread.

Yea, I filled that out last year.

We need to keep pushing for heritage parts.

All for it and sooner rather than later.
maybe the fits would part
and the parts would fit

Submitted for a 12h-t's VALVE BIMETAL VACUUM SWITCHING NO.1 9092505052

I submitted that last year for dash pads, heater cores, hvac stuff, mud flaps, rear windows with defrosters, grilles and headlight surrounds, fusable links, wiring harnesses, etc.

I think a coordinated effort is necessary for any chance of success. A bunch of single votes for individual parts folks need is not going to stand up production for anything.

Maybe the @OGBeno has thoughts on the most highly sought after parts that are out of production? I’m thinking things like fusible links, charcoal canisters, etc…

I think a coordinated effort is necessary for any chance of success. A bunch of single votes for individual parts folks need is not going to stand up production for anything.

Maybe the @OGBeno has thoughts on the most highly sought after parts that are out of production? I’m thinking things like fusible links, charcoal canisters, etc…

I have no connection with this program besides being invited to submit some parts lists early on.

@cruiseroutfit has much more visibility and direct contact with engineering and program management.

And all of the parts you guys are listing: none of them are coming back. None of them.

They are looking for parts that make the truck run, turn and stop safely and systems associated with those activities.

Go back and re-read the threads at the top of the 40 section and 80 section of MUD that has a stickied thread about the program. All of these discussions have already happened multiple times. No need for another thread on the same topic.

I have no connection with this program besides being invited to submit some parts lists early on.

@cruiseroutfit has much more visibility and direct contact with engineering and program management.

And all of the parts you guys are listing: none of them are coming back. None of them.

They are looking for parts that make the truck run, turn and stop safely and systems associated with those activities.

Go back and re-read the threads at the top of the 40 section and 80 section of MUD that has a stickied thread about the program. All of these discussions have already happened multiple times. No need for another thread on the same topic.

Easy there tiger, @OGBeno. Not in the 40 or 80 channels to know there were stickies. Not trying to add to the chaos. Since there isn’t a delete thread function, maybe you can help with deleting this thread?

Last edited:

Not necessarily. They’ve brought back stuff like Supra emblems, decals, AE86 turn signal lenses, etc.

It’s definitely not just mechanical parts.

Maybe they won’t bring a certain part back but it definitely doesn’t hurt for people to submit things like dashboard. Gotta get their attention somehow.

Meh. These parts aren’t coming back for the LC. Trust me.
I still don’t see the hurt in trying. If enough people are submitting certain parts perhaps their calculus changes.

They also don’t explicitly say mechanical parts only and the form lets you submit what you want.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take

I still don’t see the hurt in trying. If enough people are submitting certain parts perhaps their calculus changes.

They also don’t explicitly say mechanical parts only and the form lets you submit what you want.

You miss 100% of the shots you don’t take

Heritage parts program is a JDM-specific marketing program. It was never meant for non-JDM markets which is why you can’t get these parts in the US.

It is a marketing push to keep the LC in the eyes of buyers by showing Toyota’s dedication to older vehicles.

What’s different about all of the other vehicles in this program (CorollaAE86/Supra etc) and the LC is that the other vehicles are all designed and manufactured by Toyota. They kept most everything in house for these vehicles and their parts during their golden years…. And, subsequently, still have control over suppliers who made these old parts.

The LC has been outsourced since the beginning. It’s one of the first outsourcing projects Toyota ever did.

Most everything associated with the body and with the interior were designed and then outsourced yet again by Arakawa/ARACO/Toyota Auto Body— Toyota was one of the first manufacturers to utilize what’s called the “black box” manufacturing theory.

Basically, Toyota told Arakawa to build them a vehicle with certain cost/design/quality parameters that Toyota controlled vis-a-vis a powerful CE who oversaw the project. But how Arakawa/ARACO/TAB did that was 100% up to them. That was unheard of back then; it’s par now.

So, to get suppliers that might not even exist anymore or tooling that has already been scrapped is a game over. They aren’t going to do it— Ergo, stick to parts to make a truck run, turn and stop safely.

But, if you notice, most of the LC parts are from internal suppliers: Aisin, Denso, Yazaki, Futaba, Asahi Glass Corporation, Yutaka Gear (JTEKT), Toyoda Gosei, Koito, Toyota Industries, etc—suppliers that are already making these parts or made them in the recent past and the parts have just recently been discontinued and were easy to pull up design drawings/tooling and remake: 47730/47750-60021 are good examples as well as brake lines, tail lights and things like gauges.

These are all still being manufactured in various part number form for different markets and to retool to make them for the JDM is relatively simple and can be done with minimal investment for maximum profit for “heritage” buyers: mainly folks with money who don’t care what the cost of a part is. And notice that these are being made for short amounts of time: IE: utilizing excess capacity (if any) or sub-contracting it out to smaller internal companies like Aisin Takaoka, for example.

Anyway, I can write a dissertation about this stuff. But the long and the short of it is that 95% of the parts being requested will never even be considered.

Informative history lesson and great context. I’d read that dissertation, @OGBeno.

Heritage parts program is a JDM-specific marketing program. It was never meant for non-JDM markets which is why you can’t get these parts in the US.

It is a marketing push to keep the LC in the eyes of buyers by showing Toyota’s dedication to older vehicles.

What’s different about all of the other vehicles in this program (CorollaAE86/Supra etc) and the LC is that the other vehicles are all designed and manufactured by Toyota. They kept most everything in house for these vehicles and their parts during their golden years…. And, subsequently, still have control over suppliers who made these old parts.

The LC has been outsourced since the beginning. It’s one of the first outsourcing projects Toyota ever did.

Most everything associated with the body and with the interior were designed and then outsourced yet again by Arakawa/ARACO/Toyota Auto Body— Toyota was one of the first manufacturers to utilize what’s called the “black box” manufacturing theory.

Basically, Toyota told Arakawa to build them a vehicle with certain cost/design/quality parameters that Toyota controlled vis-a-vis a powerful CE who oversaw the project. But how Arakawa/ARACO/TAB did that was 100% up to them. That was unheard of back then; it’s par now.

So, to get suppliers that might not even exist anymore or tooling that has already been scrapped is a game over. They aren’t going to do it— Ergo, stick to parts to make a truck run, turn and stop safely.

But, if you notice, most of the LC parts are from internal suppliers: Aisin, Denso, Yazaki, Futaba, Asahi Glass Corporation, Yutaka Gear (JTEKT), Toyoda Gosei, Koito, Toyota Industries, etc—suppliers that are already making these parts or made them in the recent past and the parts have just recently been discontinued and were easy to pull up design drawings/tooling and remake: 47730/47750-60021 are good examples as well as brake lines, tail lights and things like gauges.

These are all still being manufactured in various part number form for different markets and to retool to make them for the JDM is relatively simple and can be done with minimal investment for maximum profit for “heritage” buyers: mainly folks with money who don’t care what the cost of a part is. And notice that these are being made for short amounts of time: IE: utilizing excess capacity (if any) or sub-contracting it out to smaller internal companies like Aisin Takaoka, for example.

Anyway, I can write a dissertation about this stuff. But the long and the short of it is that 95% of the parts being requested will never even be considered.

!

I fart in their general direction 'cuz I can't get a US spec 70 series.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom