Heretical musings - going from new to old-school on a 78' 40 (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm looking for thoughts on bastardizing my 78 US-spec 40. I love the 2F, 4 speed, electronic ignition, disk brakes, radio cut-out etc... but some parts seem downgraded from earlier years, especially from 72' and below. It seems cheaper, and arguably less permanent, to make these mods than to upgrade a 72 and under 40 to a 2F, 4 speed, etc...

Things I want to do.

1. Swap the newer, carded doors for old school split wing and roll-up window- All steel construction, looks cool, and feels more "land cruiser" than the vinal cards and plastic handles. There is something immensely satisfying about the older door lock/handle mechanism too.

2. Swap in the older, aluminum?, turn signal assembly on the column- this may mess up the horn, though.

3. Put in a bench seat up front. I adore bench seats. I grew up with my dad driving a 85' pickup with a bench. From what I've read people feel like they're going to bounce out of them at any moment. Any positive reviews of the benches? I have non-OEM buckets that need replacing. The most off-roading I do is forest service roads, so I don't need to be strapped to my seat Hannibal Lecter style.

4. Add a handle above the glove box- why this went away is beyond me. With a lift, getting into the passenger seat is a feat of unmatched athletic prowess.

5. Dash-padding delete, including removing the sheet metal support- if I crash I will probably die anyway, might as well look cool doing it.

6. Burn those god-for-saken windshield knobs and replace them with the eminently beautiful 60s-era latches. I know this would require some more permanent patching of holes and drilling a few new ones, but a windshield is cheaper to replace than an engine.

7. Do something about the front turn signal/running lights on the fenders

Many of these "mods," seem to have stayed standard for many non-US spec 40s through the late 70s at least (e.g. Australia and UAE/Saudi). I imagine the idea w/ the US market was to make the rigs more luxurious/DD friendly? What do you guys think? Is this a dumb idea, or a reasonable mission?

I was hunting for a 76+ FJ40 when I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a '67 (that had already been swapped with a 2F & 4 speed, amongst some unmentionable atrocities). I'm working slowly to put it back to stock, but have the opposite urge - to modernize (as modern as the late 70s and 80s can be (ouch)) the '67. This post has me re-thinking some of the things I had planned. I still have most of the things you are talking about, with the exception of the bench seat, and it has me re-thinking just leaving it alone and enjoying it. Except for the turn signal switch. I hate it with a red hot passion.

Makes zero sense from an economical standpoint.
If your 78 is in good and original shape it would be SO MUCH easier to just buy a older truck and convert to 2F/H42/discs. Bolt-in upgrade on the older truck vs a bunch of sheetmetal and fabrication to completely kill the value on your 78. In fact, if your 78 is really nice and you aren't attached to it, you could probably sell it, buy a clean older 40, and all the parts to upgrade it and still come out ahead money-wise. The later trucks usually sell for a lot more.

Your truck, do what you want.....asking the masses won't give you an answer. There is no right or wrong, but if its a nicer truck and relatively original, keep it that way, you will likely sell the truck later and folks don't like weird changes. If they do, it's a small group of buyers.

Last edited:
I was hunting for a 76+ FJ40 when I found a deal I couldn't pass up on a '67 (that had already been swapped with a 2F & 4 speed, amongst some unmentionable atrocities). I'm working slowly to put it back to stock, but have the opposite urge - to modernize (as modern as the late 70s and 80s can be (ouch)) the '67. This post has me re-thinking some of the things I had planned. I still have most of the things you are talking about, with the exception of the bench seat, and it has me re-thinking just leaving it alone and enjoying it. Except for the turn signal switch. I hate it with a red hot passion.
do you have any pics of your rig? It sounds like it’s right in the sweet spot of what I’m looking at. Would love some inspo

Makes zero sense from an economical standpoint.
If your 78 is in good and original shape it would be SO MUCH easier to just buy a older truck and convert to 2F/H42/discs. Bolt-in upgrade on the older truck vs a bunch of sheetmetal and fabrication to completely kill the value on your 78. In fact, if your 78 is really nice and you aren't attached to it, you could probably sell it, buy a clean older 40, and all the parts to upgrade it and still come out ahead money-wise. The later trucks usually sell for a lot more.
I think you’re right. I’m going to start penciling some things out

Look at most South American ‘restorations’ they are hybrids of everything, easiest way to get an idea of what you’re looking for.

Fj company has boat loads of images as well, another resource to reference. Bring a trailer also is a good photo resource.

Do your research, there’s so much already out there.

Look at most South American ‘restorations’ they are hybrids of everything, easiest way to get an idea of what you’re looking for.

Fj company has boat loads of images as well, another resource to reference. Bring a trailer also is a good photo resource.

Do your research, there’s so much already out there.
Good call. Cheers!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom