Help with purchase (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
A few days ago I posted on the 100 forum about a LC that was for sale, the dealer didn’t want to budge on price and I didn’t want to over pay by 5k.

I’ve now found this 200 and wanted to get some opinions on this. As far
as price, condition,
Would you roll the dice on this one?
Thanks.

Says its no longer available

Edit, never mind now it works.

Carfax looks fine and the interior looks decent for the miles i would say.

Other than maybe needing to do some maintenance/upkeep due to the mileage, I think it would be ok. Maybe check to make sure the valley cover plate isnt leaking and cam tower leaks I think were an issue.

Lot of miles. Get it up on a lift and inspected before you pull the trigger.

Lot of miles. Get it up on a lift and inspected before you pull the trigger.
Just got these from dealer:

62CC3028-27DB-462A-8885-798992249C57.jpeg

9B70AFFD-2E41-44E7-8FC2-DFDEE1E565F2.jpeg

DA96120E-6F33-4A9D-8E11-20DA963FC33D.jpeg

C28D1C1C-071B-4B27-BCA4-1CEE6A239EB7.jpeg

5DBAF072-8D96-42E7-937F-FB086B8A27D3.jpeg

I'd say that's pretty darned good for those miles. I did own an '11 at one point, in that interior color, and it really did show the dirt and grime. Just an FYI.

The way the frame is clean in some spots under the rockers makes me think this truck had sliders and they were removed. Also it looks like the passengers side RLCA was replaced. I’d inspect the truck very closely as it may have had a harder trail life than it appears in photos. That said the undercarriage looks pretty good rust-wise

Edit: truck appears to have new rear shocks too. So likely had a lift which was removed. That rear shock looks generic, though I can’t quite make out the marking on my phone.

The way the frame is clean in some spots under the rockers makes me think this truck had sliders and they were removed. Also it looks like the passengers side RLCA was replaced. I’d inspect the truck very closely as it may have had a harder trail life than it appears in photos. That said the undercarriage looks pretty good rust-wise

Edit: truck appears to have new rear shocks too. So likely had a lift which was removed. That rear shock looks generic, though I can’t quite make out the marking on my phone.
Thanks for the insight. Shocks look to be KYB
There is a video that won’t let me post, but It shows a little bit of what looks like trail damage on the front skid plate around where oil would drain.

I agree with the new rear KYB shocks, but otherwise it just looks like it has been poorly pressure-washed underneath (thus explaining why some parts are clean and some are dirty). I'd be surprised if this thing had ever been off-road, other than the beach. (Actually seems to have more rust than I'd expect for a SC car, so maybe it did spend time on the beach.) Needs a paint correction bad, but I don't see (from the photos) any off-road pinstriping. Looks like a one-owner grandpa cruiser, certainly worth the price based ONLY on the available photos. However, at 233K, the real question is its mechanical condition and maintenance. The brand new shocks suggest those were probably added by the selling dealer. The lack of records on Carfax suggests the previos owner may have been guilty of deferred maintenance. Overall condition would suggest acceptable upkeep, but it wasn't religiously maintained. A good independent inspection would be well-advised.

Last edited:
I agree with the new rear KYB shocks, but otherwise it just looks like it has been poorly pressure-washed underneath (thus explaining why some parts are clean and some are dirty). I'd be surprised if this thing had ever been off-road, other than the beach. (Actually seems to have more rust than I'd expect for a SC car, so maybe it did spend time on the beach.) Needs a paint correction bad, but I don't see (from the photos) any off-road pinstriping. Looks like a one-owner grandpa cruiser, certainly worth the price based ONLY on the available photos. However, at 233K, the real question is its mechanical condition and maintenance. The brand new shocks suggest those were probably added by the selling dealer. The lack of records on Carfax suggests the previos owner may have been guilty of deferred maintenance. Overall condition would suggest acceptable upkeep, but it wasn't religiously maintained. A good independent inspection would be well-advised.
Thank you. I’m checking to see if the dealer will allow a 3rd party inspection

Cam tower actually seems pretty rare on 200s.. but it would be lower down than in the picture, just above the manifold. Most likely valve cover or possibly timing chain cover if wetter toward the front/bottom of the engine and also leaking further down onto the AC compressor.

From the pictures, missing/incorrect skid plate bolts indicate mechanics that dgaf.. but then that’s a lot of oil changes and opportunities for them to mess this particular detail up.

Agreed the aftermarket rear shocks may indicate lift removal. Are the fronts original?

Cam tower actually seems pretty rare on 200s.. but it would be lower down than in the picture, just above the manifold. Most likely valve cover or possibly timing chain cover if wetter toward the front/bottom of the engine and also leaking further down onto the AC compressor.

From the pictures, missing/incorrect skid plate bolts indicate mechanics that dgaf.. but then that’s a lot of oil changes and opportunities for them to mess this particular detail up.

Agreed the aftermarket rear shocks may indicate lift removal. Are the fronts original?
Thanks for the explanation Fronts are original. The mechanic that inspected the vehicle told me there were a few red flags, but the biggest one was not letting him drive the vehicle. I simply wanted him to run through the gears and they would not let him take it down the street. So I’m moving on from this one.

Thanks for the explanation Fronts are original. The mechanic that inspected the vehicle told me there were a few red flags, but the biggest one was not letting him drive the vehicle. I simply wanted him to run through the gears and they would not let him take it down the street. So I’m moving on from this one.
Um yeah not letting someone test drive a vehicle before purchase is sketchy AF.

I’m with Linux. Sketchy AF.

Looks great from the pics for that mileage.
Service history / Carfax will help, ask them for one.
Curiously, no pics of engine bay. Why?
Can't tell if it has the Mark Levinson audio, this is a good option. It will say the name on the lower part of the radio if so.
That's a good price for a vehicle in that shape, as long as everything checks out. Are the leaves on the hood included?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom